[360, PS3] Tekken 6

I agree completely. That's probably why VF5 were less than stellar even though it had little competition. Personally I just like VF better as a game, but that doesn't mean I paid $60 for it either (bought it used). What I'm saying is that if VF couldn't succed even though it's IMO a better game and looks better to boot I don't see this one making it at full price.

I would be willing to bet that a lot of the appeal to gamers is lost because it does not support online fighting. The only reason I play DOA4 anymore is to compete online. I don't care if it lags sometimes, it is just so much more fun. I am not going to spend $60 on a game that I can't play online, unless it is very story oriented and exploratory/open-ended (like stalker). Fighting games don't have legs unless they have online. I think sega will go this way for VF6. Their "we need 1 frame timing" speech will go out the window.

I would be willing to bet that a lot of the appeal to gamers is lost because it does not support online fighting.
Aren't online gamers still very much the minority? Unless fighting genre fans are also very much online gamers, the lack of online should only impact a percentage of sales relative to gamers who care for online.

Aren't online gamers still very much the minority? Unless fighting genre fans are also very much online gamers, the lack of online should only impact a percentage of sales relative to gamers who care for online.

Not near as much as they used to be. Xbox live and blizzard have huge numbers of online gamers.

Well if you define succeed as selling some arbitrary number of units on a platform, which for all intensive purposes currently sports a very limited userbase due to the steep barrier to entry, then sure it didn't succeed.. But the game's still got an Xbox360 userbase to launch into yet and i'm pretty sure that if you count all the yen made from the original coin-up version, I have no doubt that the game won't eventually be a financial success overall (if it isn't already)..

Tekken on the other hand has the luxury of having an overall larger fanbase than VF (due to the recognition of a somewhat flagship fighter born and bread on the massive PS platforms of old) and the opportunity to hit PS3 at a much later date when the install base has grown to a sufficient amount.. Also Namco have the luxury of potentially holding back the PS3 release of the game if they don't feel that the install base is big enough whilst still maintaining revenues from the arcade-side..

I disagree. While it is true that VF5 came out with a very limited user base, it also had a lot less competition (big fish in a small pond if you will). VF5 basically only had Resistance as any real competition. So you see, Tekken doesn't have any luxuries (I don't know when it's coming out exactly) since it will have to compete with Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and the rest of the stellar holiday line up for my gaming dollars. For example I just don't see Resistance (a success)selling more copies had it come out this holiday season instead of launch, hell even I own it and I rarely play FPS (Last one was Half-Life 1 and never got past an hour or so). Let me assure you that if it came out at the end of the year I wouldn't even have considered it.

Also on the whole online thing, I agree. They need to look to implement new technology to make it feasable to play online or fighting games are really gonna die. I just can't get together with friends as easily anymore to play games (and they all suck at VF anyways), online needs to happen like yesterday. Btw I haven't heard anything about Tekken 6 online, somehow I don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong though (though I still don't think it would be enough to get my $60, there too many other games coming out I want more).

I would be willing to bet that a lot of the appeal to gamers is lost because it does not support online fighting. The only reason I play DOA4 anymore is to compete online. I don't care if it lags sometimes, it is just so much more fun. I am not going to spend $60 on a game that I can't play online, unless it is very story oriented and exploratory/open-ended (like stalker). Fighting games don't have legs unless they have online. I think sega will go this way for VF6. Their "we need 1 frame timing" speech will go out the window.

Sounds like someone either has no friends (emphasis on online as the *only* source of fighting game fun) or/and you definitely don't live in the UK (emphasis on online fighting game lag not being a big issue..)

Sounds like someone either has no friends (emphasis on online as the *only* source of fighting game fun) or/and you definitely don't live in the UK (emphasis on online fighting game lag not being a big issue..)

Perhaps he doesnt have enough friends that play Tekken, SC, DOA or VF. I feel him. My Tekken and VF are collecting dust most of the time because I dont have enough hardcore friends. Only one who loves VF. Everyone else sucks terribly in every fighting game.

I beat their asses continuously and they get bored soon. At the end they dont want to play ever again. Not that they were interested enough before.

And this pisses me off because the CPU gets very predictable, doesnt adapt and doesnt learn from mistakes.

The only times I enjoyed a good fight on Tekken was on the arcades when they were popular and a few tournaments. On VF the few times I managed to invite my friend over for a game.

Online offers the chance to find people who play well anytime.

Heck, I'd even settle for NON-hardcore friends. I tend to not devote myself to these games even though I love them simply to not drive friends away from them. (As has happened with a few of my friends who went "hardcore" in the Capcom direction, and essentially made everyone else head for the hills with the versus titles.)

The last time we had any real fighting-game-playing going on was 8-player random team matches in Soul Calibur, and other than that I'll occasionally play a Capcom/SNK game against one of my friends (who aspires to be as hardcore as he can, and so makes matches irritating for me while I'm trying to learn the game), and he along with most of my other friends "don't like those 3D ones," which makes no goddam sense to me.

Really, I'd just like to get a good Soul Calibur circle going again. Then I'll be happy. ^_^

The Magic Box has some better screens (still low-res, though) that show off the improved lighting. You can see the color of the ground reflected on the skin and clothes of the fighters. There's self-shadowing, but like in T5: DR (on PS3), it's subtle and not in every stage. I'm sure this is an artistic choice an not a technical limitation, although it's not a choice I agree with. The geometry on the players is as good as could be hoped for, and now there's normal mapping, to boot (although it's also subtle). In the shots with Asuka vs. Kazuya, the lighting is fantastic, and more in line with the promotional renders. It also appears to have some nice cloth dynamics if you look at the folds of Kazuya's pants behind the knee.

I'm sure plenty will be done to balance out the look of things before release, and it should be remembered that they're making some substantial changes to gameplay as well. I'm really looking forward to this one, whereas I couldn't have been more disappointed after seeing last year's E3 trailer.

There appears to be a couple more new pics here
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070608/tk6.htm

tk606.gif

tk603.gif

They all look pretty good except for the complete lack of AA. These look like 720p with 0xMSAA. I do really want it to stay at 60fps. But this game would look so much better with even 2xMSAA

tekken32ek1.jpg

They all look pretty good except for the complete lack of AA. These look like 720p with 0xMSAA. I do really want it to stay at 60fps. But this game would look so much better with even 2xMSAA

I'd personally prefer a slightly lower poly count and some AA.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070608/tk6.htm

These don't look like they were scanned out of a magazine.

Wait people are complaining about the graphics in this game? The character models are much more detailed than the ones in DOA 4 and Virtua Fighter 5. Go back and look at those games.

I can not agree on that

BTW something slightly relevant to tekken6 but even more relevant to the PS2 version of tekken5 on the PS3

Has anyone noticed some kind of lag in the input when playing the game on the PS3? We used smoothing and upscaling at my friends house so I dont know if it was that that caused it. I was got damn pissed at the lag. Timing was completely useless. I am not sure if its the bluetooth's problem. I certainly wouldnt want to have to deal with lag when playing Tekken6 on the PS3 in case I get one. It literally ruins the tactical part of the game

Has anyone noticed some kind of lag in the input when playing the game on the PS3? We used smoothing and upscaling at my friends house so I dont know if it was that that caused it. I was got damn pissed at the lag. Timing was completely useless. I am not sure if its the bluetooth's problem. I certainly wouldnt want to have to deal with lag when playing Tekken6 on the PS3 in case I get one. It literally ruins the tactical part of the game

Why play PS2/Tekken 5 when you can play Tekken 5 DR on the PS3? Way better.

or you could ask to share limited downloads with those who have actually bought 5DR from what i heard

We thought about it but we cant find any. We also dont know how exactly that works. I think in order to do that we have to sign in with their account to download it but i dont think there is anyone abroad who would agree to do that.

Is there a way someone can save the file on a mem stick upload it somewhere and then download it from there through our mem stick?

Back