[360, PS3] Tekken 6

JardeL

Regular
From Joystiq ;
...The first 17 pics in the gallery below are from the new batch of screens, while more can be found by clicking the "read" links below.

Three new characters have been confirmed for Tekken 6 along with a host of returning fighters, making this cast the largest in the series' history...
[ http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/02/new-tekken-6-screenshots-artwork-released/ ] ...

image010in8.jpg

Nice pic hmm ?:mrgreen:

Gallery ; [ http://www.joystiq.com/photos/tekken-6/ ] ...

Looks like there using a updated PS2 engine for this release as it looks smooth but not "next gen" if you know what i meen. Looks good but lacks that true next gen sheen :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh the game is 40% done?

And there has been no technical advancement since when the game was 20% done. I'm pretty sure that between 40% and 100% done there will only be mainly additional art assets. The graphics engine will not change much.

Anyway, my comment is made also in the context of Namco's less-than-stellar recent releases.

After seeing T6's CGI movie at E32005
After seeing DOA4's open environments
After seeing VF5's visual splendor and animation

I can only feel disappointment for this game's visuals so far. Why on earth did Namco make Tekken6 look like a powered T5?

I was expecting so much more from this

I think they are "good enough" to give an impression on how the graphics fair.

Next gen effects, shadows and lighting are obviously absent

I am not expecting this game to near any of the other 2 next gen fighting games visually

This annoys me because Tekken is one of my favorite fighting games. I was expecting Namco to raise the visual quality and art direction a lot. But they are stagnant. Especially after what they have achieved with TTT and SC3 on the PS2.

I hope this is the arcade version and that the PS3 version will be much better similarly to what TTT was on the PS2 compared to the arcade version

I am not expecting this game to near any of the other 2 next gen fighting games visually
What next-gen lighting is missing exactly?
I only consider VF as the real fighting game, but in terms of gfx, those small screens doesn't look inferior at all. Maybe you should delay your disappointment for the time being ;).
I hope this is the arcade version and that the PS3 version will be much better similarly to what TTT was on the PS2 compared to the arcade version

I think arcade hardware will be very similar to PS3.

Err, whats up with zafina? Just about every ss of her, she seems quite open to her sexuality :oops: or something :LOL:

Well Will Ferrel once said "if you have it, why not show it" :smile:

As for the game I'll reserve my judgement of the technical side until I see high quality video in motion at near the completion of the game. I'm sure it'll play great in any case.

This annoys me because Tekken is one of my favorite fighting games. I was expecting Namco to raise the visual quality and art direction a lot. But they are stagnant. Especially after what they have achieved with TTT and SC3 on the PS2.

I think the lighting thing is more of matter of artistic direction.

The game was missing self-shadowing but the more recent pics show Miguel sporting some self-shadowing.

It's getting there, it's not there yet but it's getting there. It's almost better for Namco to show stuff that is more complete than showing a work-in-progress and get hammered for it.

A work in progress it may be, but at their first showings two years ago on weaker hardware both DOA4 and VF5 looked better. There really is no excuse for Tekken 6 looking the way it does, and honestly little chance that it will improve significantly if it's going on location test soon.

A work in progress it may be, but at their first showings two years ago on weaker hardware both DOA4 and VF5 looked better. There really is no excuse for Tekken 6 looking the way it does, and honestly little chance that it will improve significantly if it's going on location test soon.

Maybe they've realized fighting games don't sell as much as they used to and this is gonna be a budget or downloadable title like Tekken 5. 'Cause I can't find any other explanation, since I definetely don't see myself paying full price for this (I think VF5 should be enough to satisfy my fighting needs for a long while)

Maybe they've realized fighting games don't sell as much as they used to and this is gonna be a budget or downloadable title like Tekken 5. 'Cause I can't find any other explanation, since I definetely don't see myself paying full price for this (I think VF5 should be enough to satisfy my fighting needs for a long while)

That's interesting, because if anything the console version of VF5 smacked of lack of effort. A barebones, straight conversion of arcade Version A (with some Version B items thrown in so they could claim it as such) with uninspired single-player and lacking features compared to either VF4 Evolution or VF4 vanilla. The fancy-looking main menu probably had more care put into it than the console extras that undershot even the lowest expectations of fans.
But that's a different topic. Still, the engine looks better than Tekken 6.

Well Will Ferrel once said "if you have it, why not show it" :smile:

As for the game I'll reserve my judgement of the technical side until I see high quality video in motion at near the completion of the game. I'm sure it'll play great in any case.

Hey, I have no problem with females doing things like that ;) :mrgreen:

I agree with you on the second paragraph too. iirc, Forza wasnt so great visually till the very end of the development, so this game should improve by the time its shipped.

Thats not to say it'll be a quantum leap from what were seeing now to the retail version, but polished nonetheless :smile:

That's interesting, because if anything the console version of VF5 smacked of lack of effort. A barebones, straight conversion of arcade Version A (with some Version B items thrown in so they could claim it as such) with uninspired single-player and lacking features compared to either VF4 Evolution or VF4 vanilla. The fancy-looking main menu probably had more care put into it than the console extras that undershot even the lowest expectations of fans.
But that's a different topic. Still, the engine looks better than Tekken 6.

I agree completely. That's probably why VF5 were less than stellar even though it had little competition. Personally I just like VF better as a game, but that doesn't mean I paid $60 for it either (bought it used). What I'm saying is that if VF couldn't succed even though it's IMO a better game and looks better to boot I don't see this one making it at full price.

I agree completely. That's probably why VF5 were less than stellar even though it had little competition. Personally I just like VF better as a game, but that doesn't mean I paid $60 for it either (bought it used). What I'm saying is that if VF couldn't succed even though it's IMO a better game and looks better to boot I don't see this one making it at full price.

Well if you define succeed as selling some arbitrary number of units on a platform, which for all intensive purposes currently sports a very limited userbase due to the steep barrier to entry, then sure it didn't succeed.. But the game's still got an Xbox360 userbase to launch into yet and i'm pretty sure that if you count all the yen made from the original coin-up version, I have no doubt that the game won't eventually be a financial success overall (if it isn't already)..

Tekken on the other hand has the luxury of having an overall larger fanbase than VF (due to the recognition of a somewhat flagship fighter born and bread on the massive PS platforms of old) and the opportunity to hit PS3 at a much later date when the install base has grown to a sufficient amount.. Also Namco have the luxury of potentially holding back the PS3 release of the game if they don't feel that the install base is big enough whilst still maintaining revenues from the arcade-side..

Overall I would say that the market for these fighters is still big enough to sustain them today, albiet not as big as it once was, but this is predominantly due to the complete lack of innovation and creativity that the developers themselves commited to their IP, choosing to release constant rehashes of the same game (plus/minus a character/move or two) over exploring new directions for the fighting game genre as a whole.. This and the fact that I can't remember the last time a new fighting game IP was introduced to the market proving that most developers either didn't feel they could stand up to the big dogs (VF, Tekken, Soul Calibur etc..) or they just didn't care for the genre at all..

Back