[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

Just got a shipping notification from Amazon, should be here Wednesday. :D

Didn't even realize there was a Collectors Edition until last week, when it was too late (sold out on Amazon). Although given my complete disappointment with most CEs this gen so far, I'm kind of glad I did miss it, so that it couldn't tempt me. :LOL:

From Eurogamer:

" The way your inclinations influence proceedings has also changed in conversation, with the bonus conversation options - the simplistic but effective opposing duo of persuasion or intimidation - now available depending on your overall alignment rather than where you manually stick your skill points, allowing you to focus those fruits of the combat experience on upgrading combat abilities instead."

That sucks. In the first game I maxed out both persuade and intimidate. I wanted to be able to do either one, depending on the situation. That way I could be an asshole to the people I didn't like, and be persuasive with the ones I did like. Now it's based on alignment? So if I play a "good" character, does that mean I'll never have a chance to intimidate, because "good" people would never do that? I'm kind of curious how that will work.

From Eurogamer:

" The way your inclinations influence proceedings has also changed in conversation, with the bonus conversation options - the simplistic but effective opposing duo of persuasion or intimidation - now available depending on your overall alignment rather than where you manually stick your skill points, allowing you to focus those fruits of the combat experience on upgrading combat abilities instead."

That sucks. In the first game I maxed out both persuade and intimidate. I wanted to be able to do either one, depending on the situation. That way I could be an asshole to the people I didn't like, and be persuasive with the ones I did like. Now it's based on alignment? So if I play a "good" character, does that mean I'll never have a chance to intimidate, because "good" people would never do that? I'm kind of curious how that will work.

Renegade and Paragon points aren't mutualy exclusive, so if you rack up enough of both you get both conversation options.

They have made things a lot more simplistic this time around, you don't have any ammo/grenade customization instead they are just abilities that take space in the radial menu which would otherwise been very nice place to add different & new class specific abilities. Nor can you choose the weapon model you want midgame ie in ME1 you can choose between various type of sniper rifle & equip whichever you want by just going to the squad options from pause menu. The Biggest offender is Regenerating Health....wth is this doing in my RPG ?

Installing the discs doesn't prevent disc swapping in any multi disc game as far as I know, not counting some games that have additional content on the other disc, like Forza 3. That really sucks. If they are concerned about piracy, they should just had people to keep E.g. disc one in the drive at all times.

That's the thing though - Microsoft has basically designed their hardware install features so that if a game supports it, they can choose to have content from say the 2nd disc installed on the harddrive configured as DLC. That way you don't have to swap discs. Forza 3 did this, I'm fairly sure Halo ODST did this, and I'm fairly sure Mass Effect 2 is doing this.

That's the thing though - Microsoft has basically designed their hardware install features so that if a game supports it, they can choose to have content from say the 2nd disc installed on the harddrive configured as DLC. That way you don't have to swap discs. Forza 3 did this, I'm fairly sure Halo ODST did this, and I'm fairly sure Mass Effect 2 is doing this.

Forza 3 does that, ODST doesn't cause it didn't required any swap while playing, one disc is fully SP other is MP. And ME2 doesn't do it either, after a certain point the game will require you to insert the 2nd disc; it'll ask for the 2nd disc even if you are trying to do a side quest that was already available when playing the first disc.

Just brought it home at lunch and checked out the intro. Honestly, that intro was incredible. The graphics are pretty nice, but it's the art, directing and music that really make it shine. I absolutely cannot wait to get home. I'm thinking of faking sick.

My question about import has been answered. I finished Mass Effect and started a game plus to hit level 50. I was worried it wouldn't recognize that I'd finished the game with that character. Thankfully, it did. You get a nice little screen that shows you some of the key decisions you made, what level, class and reputation you have. Basically I played right up until you pick up a gun in the new game, but never pulled the trigger. I'm leaving that for when I get home.

I really forgot how strong a production Mass Effect was until that music started. The game does an incredibly good job of making you feel like you're playing a dark 80s sci-fi movie. It all comes together perfectly, and the sequel is looking like it will take things a step further. They were smart enough to know they needed an epic intro.

Since they went a little lite on the stat elements, I've decided to put the difficulty up to veteran to start. If it's more like a shooter, I'll be right at home. I'm not particularly disappointed that they cut down on the stats. RPG has never been synonymous with stats, in my mind. Mass Effect is one of the better games for letting you play a character. Sometimes you can change the way you play out a scenario, or change the tone of a conversation. It won't actually change anything important in the story. It just creates a different tone, and lets you treat people the way you want to treat them, for the sake of playing a character. That was a big point in making the first game fun for me. You really are playing a role. You're not a collection of stats with zero personality.

Renegade and Paragon points aren't mutualy exclusive, so if you rack up enough of both you get both conversation options.

Yeah, in the first one I got the Paragon achievement and was very close to getting the Renegade achievement in the same play through. I'm hoping there is enough opportunity for both. I like to be an extreme asshole to people that bother me, and go a little Punisher on some of the baddies, all while being the self-sacrificing good guy.

This game is already receiving the "GOAT" status from reviewers. I wonder how much is due to hype or how much is actual game substance?
^
I myself never had any interest in the game. Never cared for its story,setting and all of the technical issues from the first game doesn't help either. Maybe part 2 can change my mind?

I viewed the first game as having many flaws, but I still think it was one of the best games I've played this gen. I'm hoping that this one will do away with most of those problems. The shooter aspect was definitely mediocre in the first game, and many other games have improved in that respect, so Mass Effect 2 will hopefully have improved as well.

I think it's worth trying. If you didn't like the first one, it may not be the thing for you.

This game is already receiving the "GOAT" status from reviewers. I wonder how much is due to hype or how much is actual game substance?
^
I myself never had any interest in the game. Never cared for its story,setting and all of the technical issues from the first game doesn't help either. Maybe part 2 can change my mind?

I doubt you would enjoy mass effect2 if you didn't like the atmosphere and plot of mass effect 1. You probably don't like star wars, babylon5 and farscape either? :) Despite all the problems, piperun nature and badly faked illusion of choice mass effect 1 is brilliant on my books.

My biggest gripe was that no matter what player did most of the scenes still had same end result. Next biggest thing I hated was the autosave points which sometimes caused pain and more pain as one had to replay big chunks of level just to die again(and again) because of character getting stuck somewhere and getting a rocket or biotic effect on head. I think this effect might be amplified because first game I played on my xbox360 was MW2 which has bloody brilliant game mechanics. After that mass effect1 battles felt pretty horrible.

edit. Oh, and the load times in mass effect1 are horrible even when the game is installed to hard drive.
edit2. I forgot about the copy/paste side missions. WTF?!? It was the lamest ever way to get some more length to the game. Why on earth all that pointless driving in same planets again and again to go to the exact same building to do a mission. those planet side missions got old really, really fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been playing and it is great, though it hasnt really grabbed me so far. I have just reached disk 2 and the whole go and build a good team story has been a bit of a letdown, dont get that "must keep on playing to see what happens next!" feeling like i did with the 1st.

The combat has improved considerably, not just the shooting mechanics but i also find myself pausing to using my teams abilities and position them a lot more. The RPG elements seem to be toned down a lot which is a shame to me, there is no inventory at all and no loot besides thermal clips, even chests/safes only ever contain credits. The character upgrade system is extremely basic. The parts where you are walking around chatting to people are still there but they seem much more segmented from the action parts than before and there seems to be a lot less people you are actually able to speak to. Cant really remember how it was in the first game but here only 1 in 10 or so people you can actually speak to.

Overall its still pretty great and i think the majority of people, those that want a shooter with some RPG elments, will enjoy it more. Personally though i wanted a RPG with some shooter elements, so for me the sequel has taken a step in wrong direction.

At first the lack of any real inventory / equipment screen caught me by surprise, but I'm actually really starting to warm up to it.

Basically, all weapons and upgrades are centralized now in your ship. And any upgrade or new weapon you receive will be automatically equipped for any character who can use it. This is actually great, as it means all part members are always up to date with the best gear, in ME1 you were constantly shuffling gear around to make sure your current squad had the best stuff.

During missions you'll find various upgrades, or weapons along the way. At the end of every mission you get a "Misson Completed" screen, which gives you a description of what you did, and lists any new weapons, or new upgrades that you found. It's pretty cool to have that sort of summary screen at the end of each little segment of gameplay.

When you get back to your ship, you can then research any new upgrades you need. Upgrades require natural resources, which can only be found by exploring and mining planets. You don't really need to mess with your weapons loadout, as you're always upgraded automatically anyways.

There's still exploration involved, it's just that they removed all the annoying stuff and have automated everything.

How long have you guys been playing? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember playing for hours and hours of the first one without any sort of combat at all. Just exploring, on the ship, off the ship, talking to people, getting missions, flying around..

You get combat right away in the first one. You have maybe 3 conversations before they drop you onto the first planet, and soon you're up against geth.

Overall its still pretty great and i think the majority of people, those that want a shooter with some RPG elments, will enjoy it more. Personally though i wanted a RPG with some shooter elements, so for me the sequel has taken a step in wrong direction.
You'd have to play extremely efficiently (run everywhere, spacebar through every conversation/scene) to get a significant part of your playtime into shooting ... just like ME1. Hell the shooter missions felt longer in ME1.

It never was a good shooter and it still isn't .... all the weapons for which you don't run out of ammo every 5 steps are extremely spray and pray, the starter assault rifle is painful to use with it's 5 shot bursts, you can literally blow an hour playtime worth of missions worth of heavy weapon ammo drops in a couple of seconds, playing it gung ho and just relying on medigel does not work (because like your heavy weapons ammo your medigel doesn't get replenished between missions). The first sniper rifle you get runs out of ammo even faster (then you get to enjoy one with a decent ammo capacity for a while ... then the game fakes you out by delivering a new one again, but making it have 10 bullets again ... YOU BASTARDS).

Making ammo a limited resource is batshit insane ... the overheating mechanic was not what made ME1 bad as a shooter, it was actually an asset. It might have needed a little tweaking but it never annoyed me nearly as much as the ammo has in ME2. They should have kept overheating and made medigel/heavy-weapons ammo refill after every mission.

The weapons and shooter part of ME2 is no better than ME1 ... it's a little give (accurate shots without points in weapon use) and a huge load of take (unsatisfying weapons and ammo annoyances). In the end I think it's worse as a shooter even. Also there is still relatively little of it so the FPS fans will still not like it.

The dialog is okay, but god did they have to make the romance options so extremely fucking obvious? It's just a never ending stream of pickup lines and hugely flirty behaviour (right from the start) spread out evenly across game (it is literally impossible to talk to Jacob as a female Shepard without flirting with him).

The entire skill tree has been raped, everything interesting is gone, there is nearly no synergy, the skill tree capstones are OMG underwhelming. Also ammo powers are buggy. Squad members use them (even if you set the game options such that they shouldn't use powers at all) making any type of tactical decision with them moot. When the sensible behaviour would be for squad members to never use ammo powers without player intervention. Especially fun with squad ammo powers ... "oh hey Shepard, I see you activated your Disruptor ammo squad power and we are fighting geth ... how about I activate my ammo powers as well, they don't stack after all." I have the feeling they were meant to stack, but in the rush to rip out everything fun and synergetic in the skill tree that had to go too ... pity they forgot to adapt the AI while doing so.

I get the feeling they were told 6 months ago "make it dumber and make sure nothing the player chooses makes any real difference whatsoever to combat difficulty ... oh and make it more like shooter!!!" by EA.

PS. the pistol is still the best weapon, it's the sniper rifle ... just without the zoom.

The more and more I hear about this the less and less my desire to try it. Still think I'm going to pick it up at some point to try it out though. But, ugh, it appears all the RPG heavy features have been ripped out or neutered in an effort to make it more shooter friendly.

And if MfA is correct they didn't even get that right.

Regards,
SB

Back