[360, PS3] Mass Effect 2 *(Spoiler Warning)

Ok I'm ready for it now! My body and soul belongs to you Shepard!

/rubs lotion to his chest/body.

Looks great and I've been waiting for this a long time. It's a pity it's not out yet as I have a four day weekend coming up for this weekend... Well maybe I can finish Bayonetta and Darksiders before the arrival of the messiah.

I've been playing ME some more, and I am seriously thinking about cancelling my preorder. The game's mechanics (controls, inventory system, vehicles, shooting, etc) are just pure crap IMO. The game tells an interesting story, but experiencing that story is very laborious and frustrating.

I've read that ME2 has addressed some of this, but I fear not nearly enough for my tastes. It's a shame really because I really like the universe.

I haven't heard much about inventory changing, but shooting has and according to Tom Chick, there's no vehicle sections in the game, only something that is available as DLC (and since he was playing before release, he didn't get to experience). I think I'm getting the PC version because of the interface, will buy ME1 first and cheat my ass through it, so I don't have to get a level 60 character again.

One thing that I don't think has really changed, but that caused me near-physical pain was the glacial pace at which your character moves.

On the inventory:

Casey Hudson said:
Not to worry - we're not really streamlining or simplifying. What we actually did was we rebuilt the entire inventory system so that it could do more, while being easier to use. The previous system tried to handle all the equipping, customizing, and managing of your entire squad's armor, weapons, and gear in a single screen. The main difference in ME2 is we've separated these functions into different activities, so that each one can offer deeper customization while being more fun and easy to use. An example is the armor personalization system which goes far beyond what players could do in the first game (and that's an understatement), but because it's on its own screen you can manage the deeper level of options more easily.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1014425p2.html

I've been playing ME some more, and I am seriously thinking about cancelling my preorder. The game's mechanics (controls, inventory system, vehicles, shooting, etc) are just pure crap IMO. The game tells an interesting story, but experiencing that story is very laborious and frustrating.

I've read that ME2 has addressed some of this, but I fear not nearly enough for my tastes. It's a shame really because I really like the universe.
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_2#Gameplay_Changes

They've overhauled a lot of the things that you're frustrated with. I think you'll probably be happy with the changes, like most people.

One thing that I don't think has really changed, but that caused me near-physical pain was the glacial pace at which your character moves.

I read that you can now sprint while in explore mode and no more elevator rides! :) Also the combat seems vastly improved according to most reports.

G4 did a full 1/2 hour on ME2 yesterday and they repeatedly praised the fluidity and improvement of combat. The devs said that many factors including most notably much improved frame rate adds to that experience.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_2#Gameplay_Changes

They've overhauled a lot of the things that you're frustrated with. I think you'll probably be happy with the changes, like most people.

Lovely :cool:

Combat

A larger variety of weapon classes, including:

A variety of new talents, which are now called Powers in Mass Effect 2, including:

There is a large number of changes and improvements to the core shooter gameplay, including:

• Targeting of individual body parts, enabling the player to make more damaging headshots or slow down an enemy by wounding, or shooting off, their leg.[17]
  • An ammo system based on 'thermal clips'. Instead of cooling down automatically, weapons dissipate heat into thermal clips, that can only withstand a certain number of shots before they must be replaced or 'reloaded'. Replacement thermal clips can be collected off of the bodies of defeated enemies.[18]
  • Cover is now entered manually, instead of automatically as it was in the first Mass Effect.
  • A modified health system. Medi-gel has been removed from use, now only serving the purpose of reviving dead teammates. Instead the player's Health and Shields now regenerate slowly when the player is not taking damage.[19]
  • On the Xbox 360 it is now possible to map powers to the Y and LB buttons, as well as the RB button, allowing the player to cast up to 3 powers without pausing and bringing up the power wheel.

The changes sound great, but to be honest I would be more than ok, if the only change was the continuation of the story. To me the story and general athmosphere of the first game was so amazing, that the game's weaker points like often bad framerate, long loading times, mess of an inventory etc. didn't really bother me at all.

More polished Mass Effect still gives me some serious goosebumbs though. I know I won't be disapointed even when hyping myself up like there's no tomorrow.

no more elevator rides! :)

Wooooo! That was the thing I hated the most in ME. Although I liked the news chatter and whatnot that would reflect sometimes what you had done in game. I still hated the extended elevator rides, especially in your ship. Having to take an elevator just to go change gear in the ship...ugh.

And in response to a post futher down...

Ooooh, Techies can summon a combat drone now? Might actually be tempted to play one.

Regards,
SB

I knew about sprinting in combat, and that it's more like Gears' roadie-run, but I didn't know it'd be available out of combat, in space stations and the like.

Wooooo! That was the thing I hated the most in ME. Although I liked the news chatter and whatnot that would reflect sometimes what you had done in game. I still hated the extended elevator rides, especially in your ship. Having to take an elevator just to go change gear in the ship...ugh.

And in response to a post futher down...

Ooooh, Techies can summon a combat drone now? Might actually be tempted to play one.

Regards,
SB

The ship has 4 levels this time, you still have to use the elevator to get to each of them and the loadtime is painfully slow from what i have seen. Maybe HDD install will make it a non-issue though.

The ship has 4 levels this time, you still have to use the elevator to get to each of them and the loadtime is painfully slow from what i have seen. Maybe HDD install will make it a non-issue though.

the vid I saw showed an elevator and when he stepped in it show a simple navigation menu to choose which floor you want and then the doors opened and out you go... I'll look for it. there has to be a short loading for areas obviously but I had read people saying they are nothing like the excruciating times as ME1

just read a review of my local game mag: sounds phantastic (they gave it a 91/100). I like the graphics of this game and am starting to think about which class I should choose...

Btw., is there some advantage when you are importing your existing ME 1 character compared to creating a new one??

Btw., is there some advantage when you are importing your existing ME 1 character compared to creating a new one??

Decisions carry over, including sidequests I believe.

I've seen some information floating around about the level of the ME1 character giving you a certain amount of cash & other resources as well as starting you off at a higher level (i.e. more character stat points to use initially).

Decisions carry over, including sidequests I believe.

I've seen some information floating around about the level of the ME1 character giving you a certain amount of cash & other resources as well as starting you off at a higher level (i.e. more character stat points to use initially).

Thanks, what about the class...if I import my old character, do I have to choose the same class?

Back