[360, PS3] Crysis 2

The new screenshots looked good but not mind blowing, Crytek need to push it much harder than what they have currently if their goal is to be the best on consoles.

The new screenshots looked good but not mind blowing, Crytek need to push it much harder than what they have currently if their goal is to be the best on consoles.

I guest that for most people the 3 more impressive games on consoles are Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and God of War 3, no one can question how good these games look, but I think we can all agree that Crysis 2 is going to offer more dynamic environments, from the Procedural Destruction and deformation to the Global Illumination, etc. I think is important to notice this things, but I understand what you say no matter how much tech you include in a game it has to look good.

I guest that for most people the 3 more impressive games on consoles are Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and God of War 3, no one can question how good these games look, but I think we can all agree that Crysis 2 is going to offer more dynamic environments, from the Procedural Destruction and deformation to the Global Illumination, etc. I think is important to notice this things, but I understand what you say no matter how much tech you include in a game it has to look good.
Art style and the execution play a major part in some of the best looking titles, Crysis 2 is looking pretty generic right now even if with all the techs, the new alien drones looked uninspired and boring.

I'm with most that it looks very underwhelming. Just about any screen I can take of Crysis maxed will look better.

Where did you see that? No idea why they'd be showing off console screens if they had a better looking version.
Well practically speaking, we have seen nothing outside of 15 seconds (from the recent video) that's from the better version. Others are mostly from the console version.

Where did you see that? No idea why they'd be showing off console screens if they had a better looking version.

Well recently all of the demonstrations they have given are running on console, even for PC magazines, so is not about showing the better version. The First bullshots where from the PC version but the texture quality alone gives away that these screenshots are from the console version. You honestly believe you are seeing Crysis 2 running on PC? Of course I would also be disappointed if these were from PC, but that’s no the case. What I think is that these screens are closer to the live demos running on 360 that were shown not long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe it is console footage. For example the enemy flying back has no object motionblur and spawned glass particles have blur which is a separate function by particle system to be enabled. There is just no way they would skip OB motionblur on PC when it is present in all other versions. Also I fail to find POM and much more that would just be a to big downgrade from previous Crytek PC games.

But for consoles it looks quite good but uninspired in some ways. It is just I am hoping for a decent jump in visuals going from playing vanilla or modded Crysis to Crysis 2 on the PC system. With TOD mods (like my own YSFX TOD mod and FXMOD particle mod :p ) I am hoping for Crytek to surpass the IQ with Crysis 2 vanilla max on the PC atleast. Seems quite far fetched though.

EDIT: Also aint it time to show PS3 Crysis 2 shots to?

Well practically speaking, we have seen nothing outside of 15 seconds (from the recent video) that's from the better version. Others are mostly from the console version.

The video with the New York song? I am sure that is 360 running it or just console specs and rendered becouse there are stuff there missing so to say.

The video with the New York song? I am sure that is 360 running it or just console specs and rendered becouse there are stuff there missing so to say.
No the video where you have prophet giving out a (rather hilarious) speech.
And the wall trailer looked inengine offline render to me.

I think the last two screens reveal a game already perhaps the best looking on console imo. But, I am sure they could make a game twice as good looking as any other game out, and many would still claim it looks average or poor. Just the way it is.
I guest that for most people the 3 more impressive games on consoles are Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and God of War 3, no one can question how good these games look, but I think we can all agree that Crysis 2 is going to offer more dynamic environments, from the Procedural Destruction and deformation to the Global Illumination, etc. I think is important to notice this things, but I understand what you say no matter how much tech you include in a game it has to look good

I put Crysis 2 with those games from what I've seen. Also AW, probably Brink. There are many in the same league.

What are the differences between AAA and MLAA
?

Both use pattern/shape detection, but AAA uses upscaling to remove the aliasing, MLAA blends the colors.

AAA
"The 360 was running deferred rotated grid super-sampling for the last two years, but later we switched it to use analytical anti-aliasing (AAA)," reveals Shishkovtsov. "That gave us back around 11MB of memory and dropped AA GPU load from a variable 2.5-3.0 ms to constant 1.4ms. The quality is quite comparable. The AAA works slightly different from how you assume. It doesn't have explicit edge detection.

"The closest explanation of the technique I can imagine would be that the shader internally doubles the resolution of the picture using pattern/shape detection (similar to morphological AA) and then scales it back to original resolution producing the anti-aliased version. Because the window of pattern detection is fixed and rather small in GPU implementation, the quality is slightly worse for near-vertical or near-horizontal edges than for example MLAA."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article?page=3

MLAA
We present a new algorithm that creates plausibly antialiased images by looking for certain patterns in an original image and then blending colors in the neighborhood of these patterns according to a set of simple rules.

http://visual-computing.intel-research.net/publications/mlaa.pdf

I wonder how the game looked on 360 with the deferred grid SSAA.
Anyways in layman's view over AAA vs MLAA...There's a whole load of jaggies noticeable while playing Metro 2033 but very less jagged edges while playing GOW3.

Where does it fall short ? The pattern recognition part (fail to apply AA when it's needed), or the down scaling part (down scaling not as effective as color blending) ? Or is it because there are other issues ?

From what I remember...it wasn't very good at near horizontal/vertical edges. Also the 360 version is a very blurry looking game, probably due to the low res post process, this makes the AAA even less effect to some degree. [On PC however, AAA is crisper than 4*MSAA, which is odd since MSAA shouldn't induce any blur]

The new images should be closer in quality to the resent demonstrations.

Old

New

Old

New

ModEdit: Thumbnails @ imageshack are easy. Please use them, and do not hotlink images from other sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why, but I can't say it looks slightest bit impressive, honestly. :cry: If I didn't know these were Crysis 2 screenshots, I would've just scrolled past them thinking it's yet another shooter. In part, it could be because after going from FarCry to Crysis, I would expect similar leap in presentation quality from Crytek, which I don't think is here (yet?). Could also be due to this game taking place in a city environment. But even so, I think some of GTAIV scenes looked much more lifelike than new Crysis. Hopefully the PC version will look a bit better than the stuff they're showing to us right now, though, developers rarely show much footage that is far below the quality of the final product.

Back