Sleep apnea

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My daughter took a sleep apnea test a few days ago, and my wife last night. It was really neat/convenient. A watch on your wrist, a sensor on your chest, and a blood ox thingy on your finger all bluetoothed to you phone that transmits the data in real time to a doctor at the hospital monitoring them. (They stayed at home to sleep, they mailed the kits)

My wife took hers last night and there was a message on our phone, (yes, we still have a house phone with an answering machine. My wife has a fax machine she uses for work a ton and cell tech isn't there yet for that and her jobs fax machines can't handle PC connections), from the sleep lab for my wife to call immediately about her results. She did and it turns out she stops sleeping about 64 times PER HOUR every night.

That puts her in the "extreme sleep apnea" category apparently and can be quite a bad thing. They want her to come in for a sleep lab in the hospital where they'll fit her with a CPAC and figure out the best settings for it for her to get a good night's sleep. They say she'll feel like an entirely new person, and I tend to believe them. Sleep deprivation is awful on one's health. :(

Two funny things. My daughter called the sleep lab since she hadn't heard from them yet they called her mom right away, that's because my daughter is fine and sleeps well so there was no rush. The nurse warned my wife that the doctor who conducted the tests will probably be calling her to schedule it sooner, it's just THAT severe they say.

The other bit is that when I first moved in with my wife I noticed she snored as much as I did, but worse she'd stop snoring and stop breathing entirely. It would FREAK ME OUT! I'd nudge her and she'd snort and start breathing again. I started telling her she had sleep apnea pretty bad and that she really should have it checked out and soon, starting back in 1994 and continuing through until present day.

You know the smug satisfaction of a good, "I told you so!",. type comment? Imagine waiting 26 years to be able to say it. After hearing all my wife's news I explained I was glad that they found it out and I was really looking forward to her being able to sleep at night...but I couldn't resist so I said, "Remember back before we were married when I told you ya had..."

"YES, YES, YES! YOU WERE RIGHT, OK?!?"

ROFLMFAO, I really am glad she FINALLY found out and we're getting it taken care of. I'm really hoping it's gonna be a game changer in her health, energy levels, and how she feels.

Anyone here have sleep apnea or experience/knowledge about it? My wife for decades has sworn she never remembers any dreams, I'm now worried she hasn't been having any since she doesn't have time to hit REM. Boy is SHE in for a treat! :love:

Alright, it's official. I am a god. :cool:

Wife got desperate on Friday as she saw a medical supply store and decided I should go and see if they'd sell me a cpap unit. Turns out the cpap unit itself is a prescription only piece of medical equipment, which I had never heard of before. I finally accepted it as a reality after the 3rd place told me no, so my wife called her doctor to see if he could call them with a script and she got an appointment for Tuesday that should make it only a few weeks before she gets a machine.

She was sads, I still hate it when she gets sads so I asked her if she'd mind if I tried to get her one. She laughed and said, "Sure, good luck with that!".

I had a ResMed S9 within 2 hours. Sanitized it, unbricked it, and unlocked the forbidden technicians programming mode. :D

She had her own mask and it turns out it was an identical unit to the one she used during her sleep test. I set the settings for the hose/nose mask, and then we set the pressure according to what felt right to her compared to the sleep lab. (11.3 cpap was the setting) I was up all night freaking out thinking I killed my wife by hacking medical equipment and doing illegal human experimentation with it, (ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! One step closer to a mad scientist rating!), because it was so silent. My son came down at 3am and we both checked to make sure she was still breathing because her snores are like the night rhythm of the house. She was fine, just sleeping like a log. She didn't get up for 13 hours.

And when she did, she felt GREAT! :D

Got her sleep lab test then next morning online, the only thing we had messed up was the cpap. They recommended up to 15, but my wife thought it felt too much so we put it at about 13.5 last night and she had another glorious night's sleep. She's in an excellent mood and it is fucking weird as hell but delightful. :)

She's not telling her doctor since it's technically illegal, but she's going to use it until she gets her unit in a few weeks and then I'm gonna make my buddy all happy because I'll give it back to him and he promised me he'd start using it. He'd mentioned to me at some point that he had gotten one 10 years ago and only used it a couple of times before shelving it, I just texted him and asked if we could borrow it for a few weeks and he had no problem with it. He's actually excited/happy to help as well as he's promised to give it another try after hearing me rave about how much bettter Chrissy is with it. I explained how it was bricked so it had defaulted to the settings, but promised to show him how to access the programming mode so he could set it to what his doctor recommended. (And he's contacting his doctor to find out that stuff. :) )

So a win all around, and I am officially a god for this weekend at my home. Life is a bit better. :)

Back