[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Just watched the Gamespot now playing footage, man what an ugly looking level that was. Everything is just so dull, where are the dynamic lights? You would think the belly of the alien nest would sport all kinds of lighting effects, glows and what not. This is a joke compared to the alien ship level from Crysis 1. The draw distance is very weak, pop ins are still abundant and the whole frame simply screams low res to me. I'm sorry to be critical again but can anyone who has their mind blown by this footage please describe to me what was so impressive about it? That Road rage footage looked a bit better though.

"I had a chance to sit down and get a hands-on demo (in not just two, but three fancy dimensions) of Crysis 2 with the EA team. As a lover of shooters, this was, for me, a big step forward in digital and visual entertainment. The depth of field that is provided by 3D is so enjoyable to experience within the first person shooter genre. It will undoubtedly open many a door and window for the furthering the visual enhancement of the some twenty-five year old genre." :smile:

Another preview :D
"Without a doubt, Crysis 2 is going to be one of the best looking games you'll see on a console. This Is not so much a revelation on the Playstation 3, given the hardware behind it, but seeing as in the Xbox 360 is a little bit behind in the graphics department, colour us impressed as to what Crytek managed to get out of it. Sadly, the recent multiplayer demo showed that the quality doesn’t translate as well online"

Anyway...I know this is not discussion about DOF but one thing I was reading a year ago struck my mind.In one Sony tech papers there was claim about their dof taking whoppin 15ms of RSX time:oops: How's that?

Last edited by a moderator:
This spectacular, incredible video shows that Crysis 2 has great shadows. It uses dynamic Depth of Field too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh0roa_crysis-2_videogames

The song of the video is Chase & Status - End Credits ft Plan B

p.s. sorry for bringing up the subject of shadows but I didn't know where to post the video if not in this thread
Great video!

Though, the dynamic depth of field seems to have been added by the user via a simple FG.

The other thread is closed so it's OK to post it here at least for the time being ;)

I have a question on this matter. Some people pointed out that most point lights in the levels didn't cast shadows, I mentioned that that's because all the shadows from the main light are realtime, so there's not much left in the budget for individual shadow casting lights.

Now, considering that C2's levels are filled with physical props that cast accurate shadows, isn't the number of shadow maps calculated similiar as those other games that have most of the environment shadows baked but use more shadow casting point lights with little in terms of physical props?:p

I assume that's pc? I wonder if they can get it all to look and run that smooth on console.
Yes, it's PC. As you say, having been a developer, all those effects at the same time would be fail on consoles, perhaps?

That sort of scenario would be such a complete waste of time and resources, I think... --meaning compared to a PC.

Ouch, that depth of field blur hurts my eyes even at this uber-compressed resolution...

Also, I'm not sure if every object gets a separate shadow map... even for self shadows. The tires of the taxi in the foreground also act kinda strange, either the reflection map or the shadows aren't completely correct there.

Yes, it's PC. As you say, having been a developer, all those effects at the same time would be fail on consoles, perhaps?

That sort of scenario would be such a complete waste of time and resources, I think... --meaning compared to a PC.

Well that depth of field they are using doesn't look cheap, I'm curious if that will be working realtime on console as well or if the console version will use more old school dof. It's been really hard to tell anything on Crysis 2 because you never know which version is being show, if it's pc with console settings, console with faked settings, etc. I mean it's been such a mess to sort it all out! I kinda wish there would be a video that just lays it all out in plain english, like this is Crysis 2 on 360 (not on pc with 360 settings which is bogus in my mind), single player, actual realtime gameplay footage for reals. Or this is PC version maxed out, and say what hardware it's running on. I guess we'll all know soon enough, but it just seems like it's all been so obfuscated so far.

Well that depth of field they are using doesn't look cheap, I'm curious if that will be working realtime on console as well or if the console version will use more old school dof. It's been really hard to tell anything on Crysis 2 because you never know which version is being show, if it's pc with console settings, console with faked settings, etc. I mean it's been such a mess to sort it all out! I kinda wish there would be a video that just lays it all out in plain english, like this is Crysis 2 on 360 (not on pc with 360 settings which is bogus in my mind), single player, actual realtime gameplay footage for reals. Or this is PC version maxed out, and say what hardware it's running on. I guess we'll all know soon enough, but it just seems like it's all been so obfuscated so far.

The Road Rage trailer is 360 footage, so is the Gamespot's now playing video.

Ouch, that depth of field blur hurts my eyes even at this uber-compressed resolution...

Also, I'm not sure if every object gets a separate shadow map... even for self shadows. The tires of the taxi in the foreground also act kinda strange, either the reflection map or the shadows aren't completely correct there.

Mind you thought it is from Crysis 2 beta leak and as per creators taste (DOF strength/flowgraph function). Though I do see some things dont cast shadows like the pole infront of car for example. No biggie though since it is mainly medium with some high aspects (shaders medium) becouse that is "high" in leak. Neverthless nice and especially when the genuine 360 gameplay video had bokeh DOF even though it seems to be for cutscenes and customisation menu. Maybe not same quality but it still was very good.

This spectacular, incredible video shows that Crysis 2 has great shadows. It uses dynamic Depth of Field too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh0roa_crysis-2_videogames

The song of the video is Chase & Status - End Credits ft Plan B

p.s. sorry for bringing up the subject of shadows but I didn't know where to post the video if not in this thread

Wow the lighting was amazing inthat video. Easily thebext I've ever seen. Would like to see a higher res version though as it could have just been a side effect of the low resolution.

"I had a chance to sit down and get a hands-on demo (in not just two, but three fancy dimensions) of Crysis 2 with the EA team. As a lover of shooters, this was, for me, a big step forward in digital and visual entertainment. The depth of field that is provided by 3D is so enjoyable to experience within the first person shooter genre. It will undoubtedly open many a door and window for the furthering the visual enhancement of the some twenty-five year old genre." :smile:

Another preview :D
"Without a doubt, Crysis 2 is going to be one of the best looking games you'll see on a console. This Is not so much a revelation on the Playstation 3, given the hardware behind it, but seeing as in the Xbox 360 is a little bit behind in the graphics department, colour us impressed as to what Crytek managed to get out of it. Sadly, the recent multiplayer demo showed that the quality doesn’t translate as well online"

Anyway...I know this is not discussion about DOF but one thing I was reading a year ago struck my mind.In one Sony tech papers there was claim about their dof taking whoppin 15ms of RSX time:oops: How's that?

All these recent SP impressions from the game make me even more curious to see the game on both consoles...hopefully the drawbacks of the MP demo have been fixed/improved.

That being said the gamespot playing now demo was indeed dull compared to the Road Rage trailer though it run much smoother and the LOD seemed less aggressive...30 more days to finally see what Crytek could do with the old babies. :p

Yea, at the end of the last Crysis game he heads off to the island solo.. Just as a nuke hits it.

After defeating the alien warrior ship, Nomad, Psycho and Rosenthal head out to go and rescue him.. That's the last time you see any of them.

Fast forward 3 years and Prophet is clearly back in New York.. In that trailer there are flash backs to Crysis 1 and his journey to the island (which is never shown in the first games). So they're filling in the blanks.

Most interesting, though, is where Psycho\Nomad are. If they're even still alive.

Yea, at the end of the last Crysis game he heads off to the island solo.. Just as a nuke hits it.

After defeating the alien warrior ship, Nomad, Psycho and Rosenthal head out to go and rescue him.. That's the last time you see any of them.

Fast forward 3 years and Prophet is clearly back in New York.. In that trailer there are flash backs to Crysis 1 and his journey to the island (which is never shown in the first games). So they're filling in the blanks.

Most interesting, though, is where Psycho\Nomad are. If they're even still alive.

They were last spotted performing on Broadway.

Wow story looks like it could be pretty cool this time. Definately draws quite a bit from HL2 though. Not that that's a bad thing.

The latest trailers have made it all have sense and tie it all together for me. Most things now make sense and it seems to be quite interesting.

Back