[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Height 704 sounds very familiar. ;) There are threads on this very board which can tell you the advantages of that on PS3. A hint is that Insomniac used this res for a few of their games. ;)

@Nebula: You can't repack the demo files :( It had to be extracted from the container first, which is signed, so after you change anything the 360 won't launch the game. There might be a debug feature, though - I'll check the keymap files.

@Nebula: You can't repack the demo files :( It had to be extracted from the container first, which is signed, so after you change anything the 360 won't launch the game. There might be a debug feature, though - I'll check the keymap files.

What a shame, good luck.

I finally saw this latest Pier17 video. Very detailed map. Reflective surfaces everywhere. Also, indirect shadows are clearer to see here but GI LOD is very aggressive so you can see them fade in very close to the player. Here are some spots where you can detect them
The reflections aren't really detailed, infact its quite hard to actually see what's being reflected. And they have a low update rate....also there's this jerkiness in caustics (or maybe the reflection, couldn't really tell) on water surface whenever your move, its smooth when you stay still but as soon as you move you'll notice the jerkiness

The framerate is impressive especially compared to how the beta performed, but I don't think that was the most conclusive analysis. There wasn't a lot of action and he didn't go into the top structure or near the sprays of water.

Aso think the crash site mode would be more intensive because the action tends to get focused in one area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reflections aren't really detailed, infact its quite hard to actually see what's being reflected. And they have a low update rate....also there's this jerkiness in caustics (or maybe the reflection, couldn't really tell) on water surface whenever your move, its smooth when you stay still but as soon as you move you'll notice the jerkiness
Yes, the realtime reflections on the water have a low update framerate. Others like puddles and glass use cubemaps so that's not a problem.

Sorry, I just had to ask: Why haven't they showed this game running on the Ps3? Bayonetta part 2?
Technically, they haven't shown footage from any platform, but I see your point. Honestly though, Crytek is the one of last companies I'd expect to screw up PS3 development.

Sorry, I just had to ask: Why haven't they showed this game running on the Ps3? Bayonetta part 2?
This is nothing like Bayonetta. Bayonetta was developed and designed around the 360 and was later ported to the PS3 by Sega. Crytek created their engine to work with all 3 platforms. Even with the lack of PS3 footage, I'm confident the console versions will look and perform very similar.

The framerate has surely improved ten folds from the closed stress test, one can easily notice that if they have played ,both the stress test and the demo. But like someone mentioned earlier, that analysis is not really stressing the game enough.

Technically, they haven't shown footage from any platform, but I see your point. Honestly though, Crytek is the one of last companies I'd expect to screw up PS3 development.

I'm betting the Ps3 version is going to be an incomprehensible mess; something worse than Bayonetta but I digress.

So I finally played the demo (free XBL weekend :3)... Technically game is one of the most impressive titles on consoles but graphically it looks like slighty upgraded Fear 2 TBH.

Pros:

- all that technological background (real time GI, SSAO, HDR etc.)
- solid framerate + vsync

Cons:

- very annoying LOD (textures, geometry and shadows are changing way to close to the player)
- medicore IQ (lots of aliasing + ghosting)
- average textures and particle effects

I'm betting the Ps3 version is going to be an incomprehensible mess; something worse than Bayonetta but I digress.

Ehh no. If it would then the PS3 override config would contain tons of entries and low values.. it doesn't. This means PS3 version is cappable of what is specified in config else values would be lower to up perfomance. 360 and PS3 version seems very very close to each other looking at config.

If the ps 3 version is like bayonetta cryteck should be prepared to eat a lot of crow because they already said ps 3 had more performance and would be the best version to playstation 3 magazine probably should take that with a grain of salt if you consider to what for magazine they were talking too.

So I finally played the demo (free XBL weekend :3)... Technically game is one of the most impressive titles on consoles but graphically it looks like slighty upgraded Fear 2 TBH.
Looks like someone forgot what Fear 2 looked like :p
932147_20090220_screen001.jpg

Back