[360, PS3] Crysis 2

I have to say, I'm just really impressed by the 360 MP demo. The graphics seem really sharp and detailed (on my TV, anyway), and some areas just look phenomenal. I'm eager to see how the PS3 demo stacks up.

EDIT: Had a really nice firefight between the 2 teams of Pier 17 - with one on the balcony of the building (facing out into they quay) and the other in/on the crashed ferry. Was really awesome, but then I was stealth-killed from behind :(

That's definitely nice to hear for 360 owners. The initial videos we saw had horrible IQ on the 360 version, but the later SP footage looked really nice and relatively clean after that. I suspected that the MP may just have been scaled back (or even done by a more inexperienced team).

Good to hear that even the MP is looking solid :)

Meanwhile in the Crysis 2 game thread...

A few posts spun off into the console forum as they are quote off-topic here.

Wondering about sales and prerelease hype among the public:

I was kind of worried, not long ago I noticed on vgchartz preorder numbers which seem to have some validity, it was quite low. Also on Amazon all version of the game ranked low perhaps in the 100-200 area. OTOH I noticed it was the #1 ranked game on gametrailers, though I'm not sure how that is calculated.

It has picked up quite a bit on Amazon though and as of now the 360 version is the highest I've seen it at #44.

I have to say, I'm just really impressed by the 360 MP demo. The graphics seem really sharp and detailed (on my TV, anyway), and some areas just look phenomenal. I'm eager to see how the PS3 demo stacks up.

EDIT: Had a really nice firefight between the 2 teams of Pier 17 - with one on the balcony of the building (facing out into they quay) and the other in/on the crashed ferry. Was really awesome, but then I was stealth-killed from behind :(

I keep reading how the new demo is cleaner, less pop-in, etc. but I think it looks the same and the pop-in isn't improved at all IMO. Do you know where I can find any screengrabs of the newer demo? I looked but haven't had any luck so far. Gameplay improvements, I notice, however not so much for any visual differences.

This probably doesn't mean anything but both the beta and this most recent demo have 1.0.0.1 in the lower left hand corner of the lobby screen, I'm assuming this is the build number? If so, someone needs to update the build number in the newer demo since it's different than the beta version. HUB bob is still missing too, odd since I there are videos of it enabled on the internet.

Could just be the case that I don't remember the older beta very well. :p

Wondering about sales and prerelease hype among the public:

I was kind of worried, not long ago I noticed on vgchartz preorder numbers which seem to have some validity, it was quite low. Also on Amazon all version of the game ranked low perhaps in the 100-200 area. OTOH I noticed it was the #1 ranked game on gametrailers, though I'm not sure how that is calculated.

It has picked up quite a bit on Amazon though and as of now the 360 version is the highest I've seen it at #44.
Amazon is not a good indication.

During the G-buffer generation there is some room left, however during the light accumulation there isn't.
Depth + RGBA16 @ 1200x720 is just about exactly 10Mb.

I think that's fine on the 360 because I believe it allows for the buffers to be different spec, but if I remember right that wouldn't work on ps3 because I don't think it allows for the buffers to be different spec in mrt. So you couldn't have one be rgb8 and the other be rgb16.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26140/news/first-crysis-2-review-9/10-in-the-new-oxm/
First review from OXM, 9/10. Pretty good score and the single player impression sounds reassuring.
The singleplayer impressed by sheer spectacle: "as you progress, streets rupture, buildings tilt and fall," and ploughing throught it all in the game's super-powered Nanosuit "is both massively empowering and intelligently balanced by the need to manage its energy levels."

Huh? Did they increase the player count?

Would explain why a server hosting site for PC had renting for upto 16 slots.

Btw I had some check at shader/configs and if final or not but PS3 version seems to sport dynamic AF ranging from 0-8xAF depeding on scenario/load and rendering. There where some more interesting bits about PS3/360 version but I'll keep that to myself until gold version becouse things can change. :p

New dev interview from this weekends game with dev:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5yoZDI2akM&feature=channel_video_title

Haven't watched it yet as I'm still in the office.

Didn't find anything specified so base filtering is then trilinear. I'll give the files a check again later. But it's interesting since the framebuffer res is specified (PS3, 360 via printed cvar list I got) and other things like shadow filtering taps and more. These things are interesting since for example both console versions have 512x512 shadowmap res but the quality will still differ to a certain point dictated by shader code.

So you have a more updated list than what we saw with the 360 beta?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back