Eyetoy PS3 MIA?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I think it's better in this case. New EyeToy trailer !

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/97910.html

I have been waiting for someone to post this video (also available through PAL PS Store).

As disappointing as Sony's press conference may be, I'm glad to see they released some PS Eye object/motion detection videos that I was hoping to see during E3.

Apparently Eye of Judgement is the only Eye game with barcodes. The rest seems pure object detection.
Technically, the puzzle games look quite good, but one wonders if white clothing is not optional, and recognition is up to fast enough for other games.
Latency issues are also not visible in the video.

Maybe they should just let people use cheap (paper/plastic) blue/green gloves/bands for faster/better recognition to make the thing useful in addition to fun.

Which reminds me, when are we going to see Eye Fit, err.. Kinetic? :)

I actually liked all 3 titles a lot from what little they showed. Aquavita would be a definate purchase for me if it was really cheap, say 3 bucks like piyotama. The one with the rock looked pretty cool, but I could see it getting repetitive. All in all they looked pretty nice for what I assume are downloadable games, whether I get them or not will depend almost exclusively on their price (I'll be getting the PSEye with Eye of Judment anyway).

Neato! :) Looking forward to this now. The one with the marble looks like it could be fun. The other one I don't quite get yet, but the Aquarium thing would be great for work - we're getting a PS3 setup in our new office in about 6 weeks, and it could be a good replacement of the pitiful aquarium we have now. :p (though it's getting better now that the fish actually get enough food ... :rolleyes: ;) )

I love the visual quality of these titles. Rather uncertain of the implementations though. The blobs thing...you just pick them up and drag them through the corridors? And the marble thing, seems an awkward interface compared to the simplicity of a controller, especially a tilt controller. And finally the aquarium. It is just an aquarium, right? No 'gameplay' there. No interactivity at all? Again, looked fantastic, but I don't personally 'get it'.

Technically, the puzzle games look quite good, but one wonders if white clothing is not optional, and recognition is up to fast enough for other games.
Latency issues are also not visible in the video.

Maybe they should just let people use cheap (paper/plastic) blue/green gloves/bands for faster/better recognition to make the thing useful in addition to fun.

Well technically it shouldn't make a difference if they are implementing an enhanced version of the Eyetoy detection code since actual motion detection was based around colour flux (change of a pixels colour overtime to detect motion..) as opposed to colour tracking (i.e. change in a pixel's colour's position..)

Seems like they're probably doing a derrivative of both since the input allows for motion tracking which was doable on the PS2 however not very accurate at all..

Overall I liked the concepts they came up with (if only for the novelty & execution of them).. Looking forward to seeing more.. :D

I love the visual quality of these titles. Rather uncertain of the implementations though. The blobs thing...you just pick them up and drag them through the corridors? And the marble thing, seems an awkward interface compared to the simplicity of a controller, especially a tilt controller. And finally the aquarium. It is just an aquarium, right? No 'gameplay' there. No interactivity at all? Again, looked fantastic, but I don't personally 'get it'.

I'm assuming with the aquarium when you approach the camera/tv the fish will come and check you out, and if you make wild motions, you can scare them. That kind of thing.

Like the EyeToy Play silly toys? Personally I'd like to see a few more major titles really using the Eye, demonstrating it's worth as a major input device. We know it's good for party games. A framework could probably knock out new party games at a rate of knots to keep all the casuals happy. I'm hoping PSEye achieves more for next-gen gaming than just mini-games!

Like the EyeToy Play silly toys? Personally I'd like to see a few more major titles really using the Eye, demonstrating it's worth as a major input device. We know it's good for party games. A framework could probably knock out new party games at a rate of knots to keep all the casuals happy. I'm hoping PSEye achieves more for next-gen gaming than just mini-games!

Eye of judgement looks pretty sweet.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/objects/775/775515.html

Well technically it shouldn't make a difference if they are implementing an enhanced version of the Eyetoy detection code since actual motion detection was based around colour flux (change of a pixels colour overtime to detect motion..) as opposed to colour tracking (i.e. change in a pixel's colour's position..)

Seems like they're probably doing a derrivative of both since the input allows for motion tracking which was doable on the PS2 however not very accurate at all..
I didn't suggest it for those puzzle games and their current method of detection.
A different (mostly simpler) but in the end more accurate algorithm is required that is aware of the target object/color.
Overall I liked the concepts they came up with (if only for the novelty & execution of them).. Looking forward to seeing more.. :D
Same here. As I said those were the things I was looking for most in E3.

I would like one. My little girl plays it all the time. A better camera would be really, really nice.

As it is now, she uses the PS2 version on our PS3.

Like Eyedentify? Burnout?

ps. you'll see them.

Your description of he EyeToy sounds exactly like what I think of the Wii. The Wii does have some games coming (Mario Galaxy, Metroid) that may prove the controllers usefulness beyond party games.

Like Eyedentify? Burnout?

ps. you'll see them.

What is Burnout doing with EyeToy?

Your description of he EyeToy sounds exactly like what I think of the Wii. The Wii does have some games coming (Mario Galaxy, Metroid) that may prove the controllers usefulness beyond party games.

What is Burnout doing with EyeToy?

It also supports the 360's camera. Basically it does things like take snapshots of you and your victim when you take them out, and display those pictures to each other. It's not high-technics, but it's funny anyway. ;)

It also supports the 360's camera. Basically it does things like take snapshots of you and your victim when you take them out, and display those pictures to each other. It's not high-technics, but it's funny anyway. ;)

That's nice, does it extend to seeing a video stream of your friends while you're racing.

I'm been trying to think of some non gimmicky ideas for the eyetoy. What i was thinking of was something in the vein of Minority Report, where you use your hands to manipulate objects on a screen. I'm not sure how good the camera is, but if it can pickup both hands and maybe the state the hands are in (say open palm or fist), then you could have two cursors working the screen at the same time. This may work for strategy games.

I was also thinking, what if the camera could pick up the stance that you are in, or a series of motions that you perform. So instead of just pressing button combinations to perform a move in a fighting game, you'd actually have to perform the action.

Lastly, if you had two cameras (and some markers on the player) could you perform some basic real time mo-cap?

I've always seen the eyetoy as a product with a lot of promise. Its just none of the games released have interested me yet.

"Eye of Judgement" Hands-on at Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...nt-with-the-possibility-of-transformers-cards

I ask about the possibility of a Transformers deck. There is a long pause. I wonder what Hasbro doesn't want us to know?

"There have been talks," Christy tells us finally. "I have also had the pleasure of demoing the game for George Lucas." That statment hangs in the air for a moment, as my mind goes to the expected places. Eye of Judgment is already fun, but with Transformers and Star Wars decks possible? Oh my.

That makes serious sense. You'd get far more revenue from established franchises like SW, and you'd get major promotion of your unique technology too. Though I hate Star Wars' ubiquity in merchandise, extending the game with SW cards and other franchises (like the equally annoying Harry Potter) would probably do wonders for the PSEye.

From the article patsu linked:

We're told that the game will be more expensive than a standard PlayStation 3 title, but since it comes with the camera, cards and mat, that's easy to get past.

So I guess we can put that $60 rumor to rest now. I wonder how much it'll be, 'cause I'm definetely interested.

That makes serious sense. You'd get far more revenue from established franchises like SW, and you'd get major promotion of your unique technology too. Though I hate Star Wars' ubiquity in merchandise, extending the game with SW cards and other franchises (like the equally annoying Harry Potter) would probably do wonders for the PSEye.

Actually.... will we have Transformers deck vs Jedi Knights + Sith Lords ? :LOL:

EDIT:

crazygambit said:
So I guess we can put that $60 rumor to rest now. I wonder how much it'll be, 'cause I'm definetely interested.

Amazon is selling $60 pre-orders:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Eye-of-J...12?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1188339073&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back