New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

Can we please stop talking about PC Oblivion? As pretty at as it looks it has NOTHING to with the PS3 and has no place in the CONSOLE games discussion.

I'm not sure if you were talking about my post or not, but you probably were.

Seems to me that a cross-platform title should be compared across all platforms. Especially because since I own a PC, but may in the near future own one of these pricey consoles. I'd like to know how the game compares technically, even if from an academic standpoint. That's what Beyond3D is about. Perhaps you missed the selection of forums on B3D before entering the console area?

I'm honestly more interested in how the game develops on the platforms than the gameplay itself. PS3 has some very unique CPU hardware but it shares the very limited RAM capacity with 360. Oblivion also has some fascinating threading support, thru OpenMP, that is almost unique to gaming still.

It's not like I was ripping into the game. Do you not want to discuss the various platform limitations and advantages? Or, is this just a thread about drooling hype and self-justification that seems popular in the majority of console forums around the globe.

I'm honestly more interested in how the game develops on the platforms than the gameplay itself.
Is there any word yet on what the PS3 specific changes are that they aren't porting to the XB360 update? That's the real area of interest rather than the graphics, which make really naff use of multiexturing to add big blobs of light and dark over the environment. Have they done anything with Cell and their Radiant AI, or is it tiddly little tweaks of no interest?

Is there any word yet on what the PS3 specific changes are that they aren't porting to the XB360 update? That's the real area of interest rather than the graphics, which make really naff use of multiexturing to add big blobs of light and dark over the environment. Have they done anything with Cell and their Radiant AI, or is it tiddly little tweaks of no interest?

Maybe some more Physics and some slight AI tweaking?

All I've found on 360 changes were a quote from a Bethesda guy. He said that for 360 the changes were more along the lines of small tweaks and fixes and not as much visual. I wish I could find that again but I have no idea on what site I found that. lol.

So, I'm thinking the PS3 version is getting exclusive graphical improvements to help make it feel more fresh than the year-old 360 edition and un-modded PC release. I'm sure we won't see AA + HDR. PS3 is, after all, limited in that way just like GF7. It seems to be a bit controversial as to whether the 360 version had AA or not though.

I think the performance in terms of loading and FPS is one of them.

I'm not sure if you were talking about my post or not, but you probably were.

Seems to me that a cross-platform title should be compared across all platforms. Especially because since I own a PC, but may in the near future own one of these pricey consoles. I'd like to know how the game compares technically, even if from an academic standpoint. .

What he was saying is that due to unlimited budget that PC's have, it is pretty unfair to consoles to compare them directly. Consoles are pricey, compared to most basic pc's, but they are not pricey compared to gaming PC's.

Just nice HTPC case will cost you close to half the price of 360.

If you have to compare the console versions to the pc version, at least compare it to what oblivion looks like out of the box, without user created visual enhancement mods. That as least is slightly fairer, without going over the price=performance ground.

If you have to compare the console versions to the pc version, at least compare it to what oblivion looks like out of the box, without user created visual enhancement mods. That as least is slightly fairer, without going over the price=performance ground.

Why would you want to do that when its perfectly easy to mod the PC version? Sure out of the box the PC version isn't much better than the 360 version but you can't mod the console versions and you can the PC, therefore it should be accounted for. Especialy when people making the comparisons are themselves running modded versions of the game.

Why would you want to do that when its perfectly easy to mod the PC version? Sure out of the box the PC version isn't much better than the 360 version but you can't mod the console versions and you can the PC, therefore it should be accounted for. Especialy when people making the comparisons are themselves running modded versions of the game.

Why compare at all, the game is ugly, both versions are ugly. Sure the PC version looks better, but it's still fugly, it looked ok about a year ago, but has not aged well at all.

Why compare at all, the game is ugly, both versions are ugly. Sure the PC version looks better, but it's still fugly, it looked ok about a year ago, but has not aged well at all.

I respectfully dissagree. Oblivion was a stunning title given the size and freedom of the game world. Still is a great looking game for how detailed and open it is.

I would have to disagree, the modded PC version is the best looking game available IMO, and thats including Gears. I have played Gears twice through now and never come across anything that made me go "wow" in such a way as a scene like this from Oblivion does:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_3_PC.jpg

I would have to disagree, the modded PC version is the best looking game available IMO, and thats including Gears. I have played Gears twice through now and never come across anything that made me go "wow" in such a way as a scene like this from Oblivion does:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_3_PC.jpg

Obvlivion does have it's moments when you're standing atop a mountain or something, not moving.

But 95% of the game is pretty damned ugly, and adding some extra detail to the textures really doesn't make it much better.

Compare a character model in gears, to a character model in Oblivion, it's not even a contest. Or any piece of architecture, or any special effect etc

I dunno, seems pretty silly to me to keep dragging up a modded version of a year old game, when people have moved on to 2nd generation next gen games like Lost Planet, Gears, Viva Pinata that are way more impressive. Like, what's the point??

Obvlivion does have it's moments when you're standing atop a mountain or something, not moving.

But 95% of the game is pretty damned ugly, and adding some extra detail to the textures really doesn't make it much better.

Compare a character model in gears, to a character model in Oblivion, it's not even a contest. Or any piece of architecture, or any special effect etc

I dunno, seems pretty silly to me to keep dragging up a modded version of a year old game, when people have moved on to 2nd generation next gen games like Lost Planet, Gears, Viva Pinata that are way more impressive. Like, what's the point??

Well, like I said, IMO Oblvion modded is better looking than any of those games. I havn't played Viva Pinata to be fair but I do own Gears and I have played the Lost Planet demo on Live (which I didn't find impressive in the slightest). Oblivion looks great most of the time (outdoors) when modded. Sure the characters don't hold a candle to gears but textures, draw distance, sheer amount of a detail and even lighting are all better to my eyes. The architecture can also be just as impressive with the high res textures and parallax maps. Ok we arn't talking as much geometry but Oblivion kinda makes up for that in other areas....

Indoors oblivion has been outgunned by some titles but again, vastly improved textures, parallax maps and even specular maps from the mods make the indoor areas look pretty good.

Considering Gears is a corridor on-rails shooter, I don't see how it can be compared to Oblivion at all. Haven't played Lost Planet or the others. But comparing any FPS to a totally open environment like Oblivion seems rather horribly off track. They have total control of what you see and do in 90% of the FPS games out there. They can tailor the graphics complexity quite tightly considering that.

Once the game is modded it really, truly does transform. I just set myself up with it last night from scratch to the Qarl TP3, LODs, and a bunch of others. Compared to out-of-the-box, it is like a different game visually. The soup textures all-but disappear with LOD replacements (especially Qarl's normal mapped LOD!!!). It is stunning, aside from some DXT1 artifacts on the normal maps. (Whatever happened to 3DC?!) But man you need one hell of a rig to run it. I saw 900 MB texture memory usage in the console!

No doubt the reason the game looked like it did when it came out is because the hardware could not handle it at all. Between PC RAM constraints on both video card and system RAM, and the 360's RAM limits, they couldn't spruce it up a lot. Hell they said on the box you could play with a GeForce FX. Like that could ever happen, even in its launch state. I tried it on a FX 5600 and got like 5 fps in town (!) on low detail at 640x480.

The LOD was pathetic though. And they hid it damn well in the bullshots and even videos. But I'm not sure how much the LOD mods add to texture RAM usage. Obviously you don't get anything for free.

If the PS3 version is improved it's because they've worked some serious magic with memory management.

So let me get this straight you are comparing a 3rd person shooter with a sandbox game?
That's a great comparison! :rolleyes:

Saying Virtua Fighter 5 is much better looking than Gears of War because the characters and enviroments look better would be just as bad as your Gears of War > Oblivion.

So let me get this straight you are comparing a 3rd person shooter with a sandbox game?
That's a great comparison! :rolleyes:

I'm just saying the latest generation of software is in a different league than Oblivion, it was never a particularly pretty game, and now it's a year after release it hasn't aged well. The PC mods look good, but it's sortof like polishing a turd, it's never gonna be that great.

You can compare it to Saint's Row, or Crackdown if you like, both are easily more impressive than Oblivion, which clearly has a circa 2004 PC graphics look to it.

I'm just saying the latest generation of software is in a different league than Oblivion, it was never a particularly pretty game, and now it's a year after release it hasn't aged well. The PC mods look good, but it's sortof like polishing a turd, it's never gonna be that great..

Actually i can't see what you mean. When the LP demo was out (at the time oblivion was released), it wasn't anything spectacular imo, technically solid, but that's it (and didn't improve at all since then, graphically). Oblivion was imo one level higher than this title and still is.

Gears is another story, but comparing a game with very small assets like gears is to a game with epic scales and seemless transitions to other areas is quite a bit off...

Back