LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavenly Sword [/URL]are using the same techniques for fire and smoke as Lair, they look a zillion times better. Hell, there were PS2 games with more convincing fire and smoke than shown here.
Well what can I say otehr than I don't agree. I don't see anything worth complaining about re. the smoke in that screenshot. It looks like computer game smoke sure. Then again smoke in all games looks like computer gam esmoke.

It can be done better, it's been done better for ages, there's no excuse for such a bad looking effect - especially if they promote it as the second coming.
Look.. Everything can undoubtedly be done better. Problem is when you just pile on "better" the game dies and RAM overflows.

Your opinion that this smoke sucks is just that. It's not univerasl truth.
Peace.

Look.. Everything can undoubtedly be done better. Problem is when you just pile on "better" the game dies and RAM overflows.

The difference is that most of the things wrong about Lair can be done better without any extra resource cost, just by making better textures and tweaking the shader and lighting parameters. And we've been through this discussion as well many times before on B3D.

Your opinion that this smoke sucks is just that. It's not univerasl truth.

Not universal truth, sure; but on my better days I tend to think that I know this and that about 3D graphics, being payed to work in the industry for a while now...

Not universal truth, sure; but on my better days I tend to think that I know this and that about 3D graphics, being payed to work in the industry for a while now...

I agree that the smoke and especially fire effects are terrible judging from previous screens and videos. But I think the last screen doesnt show well how the smoke effects look like now.

You know how to make it yes.

But you don't know in the same manner how to judge it artistically since taste isn't based on knowledge and experience but rather individual preference.

It's my personal opinion the smoke (textures and otherwise) looks fine. Even when compared to other contemporary titles. Besides the gae isn't done yet. Maybe they'll tweak appearances so it agrees more with your particular taste. :cool:
Peac.e

Art Direction

You know how to make it yes.

But you don't know in the same manner how to judge it artistically since taste isn't based on knowledge and experience but rather individual preference.

It's my personal opinion the smoke (textures and otherwise) looks fine. Even when compared to other contemporary titles. Besides the gae isn't done yet. Maybe they'll tweak appearances so it agrees more with your particular taste. :cool:
Peac.e

Laa-Yosh's opinion is just that, an opinion. Just like anybody else. However, the difference being point of origin.

Art Direction will generally take a game and funnel the visuals to create a consistant look. Whether one agrees with that look or not is subjective, however it is the Art Directors job to maintain control of that look in every phase possible to create a believable world. I was under the impression these images were mid WIP. If that is still the case and the June ship date is off, then my comments in this post mean little. However if these shots represent the final product, the Art Director is not doing a good job or his people are incapable. Unrealistic looking objects are not necessarily worse or better than realistic or hyper-realistic ones. Adding and mixing these though generally should be avoided. It shows poor consistancy and likely poor Art Direction.

While Laa-Yosh may not be an Art Director, his familiarity with the workflow and producing high quality graphics for a living, does lend his opinion more credibility in this related field than most on this board.

IMO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Laa-Yosh's opinion is just that, an opinion. Just like anybody else. However, the difference being point of origin.

Art Direction will generally take a game and funnel the visuals to create a consistant look. Whether one agrees with that look or not is subjective, however it is the Art Directors job to maintain control of that look in every phase possible to create a believable world. I was under the impression these images were mid WIP. If that is still the case and the June ship date is off, then my comments in this post mean little. However if these shots represent the final product, the Art Director is not doing a good job or his people are incapable. Unrealistic looking objects are not necessarily worse or better than realistic or hyper-realistic ones. Adding and mixing these though generally should be avoided. It shows poor consistancy and likely poor Art Direction.

While Laa-Yosh may not be an Art Director, his familiarity with the workflow and producing high quality graphics for a living, does lend his opinion more credibility in this related field than most on this board.

IMO. ;)
I don't know, someone could have the opinion that Ewe Boll makes good films, but they'd be wrong. Marking something as an opinion does not protect it from critical thought and not all opinions are created equal.

I don't know, someone could have the opinion that Ewe Boll makes good films, but they'd be wrong. Marking something as an opinion does not protect it from critical thought and not all opinions are created equal.

True - good point. Having said, that I don't think you can classify Laa-Yosh's work in the same class as a Ewe Boll. ;)

Not to say Laa-Yosh's word is the final "be all end all" opinion, just a bit more informed than a few others in graphic matters.

True - good point. Having said, that I don't think you can classify Laa-Yosh's work in the same class as a Ewe Boll. ;)
No, I meant the reverse, that Laa-Yosh's opinion when it comes to art/graphics should carry a stronger weight than, say, my own opinion.

In this case, Lair would be Ewe Boll film. :D

No, I meant the reverse, that Laa-Yosh's opinion when it comes to art/graphics should carry a stronger weight than, say, my own opinion.

In this case, Lair would be Ewe Boll film. :D

It's Uwe Boll and you might wanna tone down your criticism unless you feel like boxing the man :LOL:

It's Uwe Boll and you might wanna tone down your criticism unless you feel like boxing the man :LOL:
Well, I shouldn't be expected to spell his name correctly, seeing as I'm not a fan. But you seem to know it...hmmm :D

Actually, I'm a terrible phonetic speller, so whenever I think of Uwe Boll, I'm mentally pronouncing it Ewwww Boll.

I've actually wondered why ATI and NVidia didn't offer something like this with a "turbo mode", especially for budget cards. Render at half or quarter resolution with 2x or 4x MSAA (preferably ordered grid to avoid the sawtooth effects) and just pretend you actually rendered at full res.

Is this what can happen with the pixel doubling option in F.E.A.R. (PC) ? (when you enable pixel doubling and enable AA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back