LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
These screens weren't from HDMI. When you see the HDMI screens you'll see the full potential of this game.

/Factor5

And so would Eurogamer think:

We decided to take a look by directly comparing 360 and PS3 versions of the same game, capturing full 24-bit RGB shots and video from each system's best-performing AV output: HDMI from the PS3, and VGA from 360. And this in itself gave the Sony console an immediate advantage. While the difference between analogue and digital on a typical consumer display is difficult to spot, our equipment showed that colour reproduction and basic definition of the image were superior thanks to the pure digital output of the Sony console.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74502

Why would the output connection matter if they're just dumping the contents of the framebuffer (wrt "HDMI screens")?

Exactly. These are shots are clearly from the component version. When Factor5 releases the HDMI screens prepare to be blown away. :oops:

Well what i wanted to point out was the Eurogamer agrees that HDMI has the best picture, even if the pics suck, they suck less on a HDMI output :)

Sorry for the naive ? but is this game native 1080p (not vertically scaled ala recently unlocked scaler).

Well what i wanted to point out was the Eurogamer agrees that HDMI has the best picture, even if the pics suck, they suck less on a HDMI output :)

The pictures are framebuffer grabs. So they would suck more on a HDMI output.

It doesn't get better than framebuffer grabs, its the source.

Eurogamer also believes Fear is a 9/10 game and Resistance is a 6/10 game ...

What I was trying to point out was Factor5's publicly stated reasons for choosing ps3 (including HDMI) were ... suspect.

Nice job on the water though.

Maybe you should just give your jabs and petty quips are rest for once and actually participate in discussions?

Sorry, I'm 100% sure that we haven't seen at least 3-5 of these, and the rest were downsized, or scanned versions.
No he's right, we've seen all of these before, as in they are a couple of months old build wise irrespective of the resolution. In terms of IQ, the normal maps still look 1 LOD short of a six pack, and the 1080p shots show it's still using that unresolved 2xMSAA mode.

Eurogamer also believes Fear is a 9/10 game and Resistance is a 6/10 game ...

What I was trying to point out was Factor5's publicly stated reasons for choosing ps3 (including HDMI) were ... suspect.

Nice job on the water though.

Chosing a console only because of HDMI is not suspect , thats crack. But Blu-Ray, Cell, RSX etc are all valid reasons. You should check the link btw, screenshots! And the conclusion that eventhough the games are multiplatform the PS3 versions doesn´t suffer :)

I agree with you there... I mean, as far as I could see from Eurogamer's comparisons, the PS3 shots looked like the contrast level was set higher (just as has been seen in other comparisons). In VT3 or DefJam, there were extremely bright spots that washed out some details. In the NFS shots, there was a sort of white/grey haze on the PS3. I couldn't tell much from the NBA shots because the lighting conditions were different altogether.

This confused me a bit too (regarding VT3):

The odd bit of additional HDR in the PS3 version perhaps, slightly longer intro-pans as the court comes into view, slightly different fontography. There's absolutely nothing of relevance from a visual standpoint that should make you choose one version over the other. Any difference in colouration you see in the comparison shots are almost certainly a result of us capturing an analogue video out from 360 (VGA) while with PS3 we had the luxury of a totally lossless digital transfer.

The HDR lighting affects the colours...

in this shot: http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/7/4/5/2/9/Virtua_Tennis_3_720p.jpg I think the 360 version looks more natural i.e. she doesn't look like a ghost.

It'd be nice if they told us what capture equipment they used too. That stuff isn't exactly cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chosing a console only because of HDMI is not suspect , thats crack. But Blu-Ray, Cell, RSX etc are all valid reasons. You should check the link btw, screenshots! And the conclusion that eventhough the games are multiplatform the PS3 versions doesn´t suffer :)

I will grant you cell ... waver on bd... and deny you rsx. ;)

[offtopic extended hdmi discussion again]
Not to rehash the same discussion over and over, but HDMI does not offer color or brightness or contrast advantages over component on these consoles or on any tv's yet (no deep color). When properly calibrated and using quality cables, these aspects are the same. Analog does allow for potential interference though and hdcp allows for potential "interference" as well. I'd call them roughly even at this point as formats. Fair enough?
[/offtopic]

I will grant you cell ... waver on bd... and deny you rsx. ;)

[offtopic extended hdmi discussion again]
Not to rehash the same discussion over and over, but HDMI does not offer color or brightness or contrast advantages over component on these consoles or on any tv's yet (no deep color). When properly calibrated and using quality cables, these aspects are the same. Analog does allow for potential interference though and hdcp allows for potential "interference" as well. I'd call them roughly even at this point as formats. Fair enough?
[/offtopic]

You forget. Component does not offer 1080p (in most cases) or lossless audio.

You forget. Component does not offer 1080p (in most cases) or lossless audio.

You forget. HDMI does not offer 1080p in most cases as well. Both are limited by the device, not the cable/standard.

Lossless audio is only good when a AVR comes along that actually takes advantage of it. Even then the advantage is ... limited.

You forget. HDMI does not offer 1080p in most cases as well. Both are limited by the device, not the cable/standard.

If your TV supports 1080p, HDMI will deliver. Component usually will not. Why you must interpret this any other way is strange.

Lossless audio is only good when a AVR comes along that actually takes advantage of it. Even then the advantage is ... limited.

Same as above. If you have the equipment, HDMI will deliver. Why you must insist that component and HDMI are the same is being just stubbornness on your part.

If your TV supports 1080p, HDMI will deliver. Component usually will not. Why you must interpret this any other way is strange.

Same as above. If you have the equipment, HDMI will deliver. Why you must insist that component and HDMI are the same is being just stubbornness on your part.

You're right. HDMI is king. Long live the king.

Then again ... VGA will also "deliver" 1080p on 1080p sets...

How many AVR's are 1.3 compatable?

nevermind - take this convo to pm if you're THAT interested.

You're right. HDMI is king. Long live the king.

Then again ... VGA will also "deliver" 1080p on 1080p sets...

VGA delivers really bad 1080p, at least on the 360.

How many AVR's are 1.3 compatable?

nevermind - take this convo to pm if you're THAT interested.

It's not a big deal for me, just that you seem to have a very hard time accepting HDMI being better than component or analog.

VGA delivers really bad and evil 1080p, it haunts your dreams and scares children away... at least on the 360.

It's not a big deal for me, just that you seem to have a very hard time accepting HDMI being better than component or analog. Plus HDMI could bite Mike Tyson's ear off!

I think that's taking it a bit far isn't it?

/jk

/offtopic

Nice water in Lair. I really thought these guys would come up with something better than this though given their background. Not to mention the early hype. I'm sure they are still in the learning process though and their next effort should be much better. The first 2nd gen game so far this gen is shaping up quite nicely so I expect these more accomplished and experienced devs to be able to strut their stuff on the second efforts in much the same way after having more time.

What good is 1080p if you only shade half your pixels? These screenshots actually have less information then anything at 1280*720 with 2xAA...

I thought there was a known color issue with the VGA connection? I definitely experienced it; most colors appeared washed out. This was not fixable through calibration on the TV, either. Apparently the VGA out was dialed in for PC settings, not TV settings...or something. Actually, Amir says that the spring update should fix this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10194459&&#post10194459

You will be able to select the levels used for VGA output to match it to your TV and that should give you a better image. I say "should" because some TVs have different settings for their VGA input and that could affect things too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back