The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, many environments in GT4 easily match or surpass the environments seen in other racers.

GT4 is the best looking and most technically impressive racer last-gen. GT5 won't be any different and can only be surpass by GT6
Why does every thread have to turn into this?
Why resort to derailing the thread? Honestly :rolleyes:
A small side discussion brought up by PSman. My view is that PGR2 was more technically advanced with such features as self-shadowing, high poly cars, reflections, damage model, special lighting effects. But artistically GT4 in the sense of more realistic looking I would think it had the upper hand. :smile:

159fs926140.jpg

ok ... lets get this topic back on track.....bikes is confirmed.

Oh cool, let's start a discussion based on a picture from 2005.

I disagree, project gotham 2 had much better lighting, textures, environments damage modelling, extremely detailed backgrounds, and a much nicer artistic direction; though that last point is subjective.

GT4 was ok, nice for a PS2 game, but in no way was it the nicest game last gen. Even PGR 1 had far more detailed environments and higher poly cars (Though polyphony have the best car paint shaders in the world, it is magic what they do)

(I also finished GT3 and GT4. I'm not a fan boy of any games company or publisher, this is just how I see it)

PGR was 30fps though

GT4 also doesn't have self shadowing, 3d wheels in gameplay, it environments simply aren't that detailed. They are low poly in many places, very sparse with blurry textures. Also the physics model is a pile of junk, but isn't what is being discussed.

Thats an exaggeration. But anyways even if PGR does look better, GT4 is still the best looking racer on the PS2 and one of the best looking racers around, which says a lot about PD's talents and skill.

FFS, let the god damn GT4 vs PGR3 dispute END. If not make a new thread for it. PGR3 does NOT belong in a thread about GT-HD and the next person to even try to start a comparison about it wil be reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I really do not understand why no other studio has been able to do as well as PD with those paint car shaders.
The light is quite amazing as well, and they do not seem to be using too much bloom as in other next gen racers (I'm a 360 owner). The cars' sides/back are not overshadowed ! Does GT5 have HDR ?

I don't see why it matters that PD do things "technically correct". If I were to sit down with a PS3 dev kit to model something and a talented artists/ modeller were to sit down with a PS2 dev kit, I can guaran-damn-tee that the end result will have the PS2's model coming out on top. You can put a billion polygons on a screen and still have it look like shit. It's that simple.

The GT games on the PS2 used something like 2500 to 5000 polygons per car, where many other games were using more than double that amount and STILL didn't achieve the same sense of realism.

Anyway, my main point is that to those that are pointing to some kind of bottleneck for the PS3, to have good looking cars and good looking environments.... I highly doubt it. Just as I've outlined above, I'm positive that PD once again will take the minimalist approach and model each of those cars with the fewest amount of polygons that are needed. And given the small number of polygons they managed to do it with on the PS2, I'm going to say that as a completly out of the air estimate, we'll have each car with roughly 20k polygons.

Completely non-technical calculations:

20 000 x 60 = 1 200 000 polygons per second per car
1 200 000 x 16 = 19 200 000 polygons for all 16 cars on track to be rendered at the same time

Now I'm not completely sure what the capabilities of the PS3 are, but I'm pretty sure that still leaves a fair bit of room for environment detail with competent programming and art decisions.

Some of the courses will be less spectacular than others I'm sure, but like in math if you want to disprove a proposed theorem (like saying Gran Turismo can't have a good cars and environments), then all you need is one example that contradicts it and you're done.

I don't see why it matters that PD do things "technically correct". If I were to sit down with a PS3 dev kit to model something and a talented artists/ modeller were to sit down with a PS2 dev kit, I can guaran-damn-tee that the end result will have the PS2's model coming out on top. You can put a billion polygons on a screen and still have it look like shit. It's that simple.
Sorry to be pedantic but..

Devkit's aren't used to model anything..

:???:

technical calculations:
20 000 x 60 = 1 200 000 polygons per second per car
1 200 000 x 16 = 19 200 000 polygons for all 16 cars on track to be rendered at the same time
Here's a non tech view on your calculations...

If a carmodel is built with 20 000 polygons, less than a third of them is visible at a given time since there are'nt any über angle that can show you all of the car at the same time. Also I'm sure there is some sort of LOD-system that renders the cars farther away with less detail than up close, and you can't have 16 cars up close at the same time.

But yeah, It should leave room for some nice looking trees. :D

GT4 also doesn't have self shadowing, 3d wheels in gameplay, it environments simply aren't that detailed. They are low poly in many places, very sparse with blurry textures.

GT4 was graphically technically behind the leading Xbox racers, but had better art.

Also the physics model is a pile of junk, but isn't what is being discussed.

This, however, is a poor statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a non tech view on your calculations...

If a carmodel is built with 20 000 polygons, less than a third of them is visible at a given time since there are'nt any über angle that can show you all of the car at the same time. Also I'm sure there is some sort of LOD-system that renders the cars farther away with less detail than up close, and you can't have 16 cars up close at the same time.

But yeah, It should leave room for some nice looking trees. :D

I agree with their artistic talent I see no problems for them to make simple yet good looking 3D trees! ;)

I guess you weren't looking for '... maybe GT4 looked more "real" because perhaps they nailed the lighting'?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back