PS3 19,996
Xbox360 7,365
GBM 1,177
GBASP 1,023
GC 347
DS 82
GBA 34

From media create

... DSL is outselling ALL of the others put together... They sold 170,473 units put together... So DS sold 24,053 more units than all of the others put together...

... DSL is outselling ALL of the others put together... They sold 170,473 units put together... So DS sold 24,053 more units than all of the others put together...

Nintendo are really outsmarting all other companies when it comes to handhelds - they manage to sell you two or three versions of the same machine. Most people probably have a Phat DS, but they also buy the new DS Lite (I know I did) since it's so "cool". Probaly this explains why SW sales (although great) lag a little behind the HW sales - peolple have more than one sistem. This and the M3/G6 type of carts.

Nintendo are really outsmarting all other companies when it comes to handhelds - they manage to sell you two or three versions of the same machine. Most people probably have a Phat DS, but they also buy the new DS Lite (I know I did) since it's so "cool". Probaly this explains why SW sales (although great) lag a little behind the HW sales - peolple have more than one sistem. This and the M3/G6 type of carts.

Or it might just mean that families with a few kids bought one DS for each kid, but only one copy of the game... It could mean many things really :smile:

Or it might just mean that families with a few kids bought one DS for each kid, but only one copy of the game... It could mean many things really :smile:

I'm sure they daddy bought a DS for mom too, so he can play on his own at will. I know I did.:D

Since the "PS3 UK price.." thread was closed I post this here.

An interview with SCE UK managing director Ray Maguire, I haven´t seen around here:
Q: Don’t you think £399 would have been good, because it will be around that price in Europe?

RM: Again, if the Euro goes down to 0.66 or 0.65 – I remember the Euro at 0.64 – that certainly won’t be the case, because we’ll be around where we are now. What you’re doing is what a lot of people do, because we’re freezing a trade price, but you’re making something else variable, which is not relevant to how we live in the UK. Otherwise we would have varying price for McDonalds or Starbucks, where all those things are doing is reflecting the cost of living in the UK versus the cost of living somewhere else. Of course, I would dearly love to have the PlayStation 3 RRP under £400, and at such time as we can afford to do so, we will.

Q: I’ve seen reports of RRPS of E599 in mainland Europe and E629 in Ireland. Are those accurate?

RM: Those are accurate, yes. We’re still working out the implications in Scandinavia as well, where there are non-Euro accounts.

Q: Sony has been very hard on grey-market imports in the past. But you wouldn’t be able to keep a lid on, say, European websites undercutting UK retail. Will Sony try to put a lid on that sort of action?

RM: No, there’s free trade throughout Europe – it’s when products come in from outside Europe that we’re concerned. The thing that really concerns me is regional coding. Whereas games are not a problem, many people will be buying PlayStation 3 because, not only is it the world’s most powerful console, but it’s also a great Blu-ray movie playback device. And you wont be able to browse in HMV or Virgin and pick up your Blu-ray disks because our region isn’t supported. Some people will always go to the ends of the earth to get things a couple of quid cheaper, but if you want decent service, consistency and you want things to be focused and a structure to be there, you need to support the territory that has to look after those customer issues. If a product is brought in from abroad, I don’t make anything, so there is no money going into support from us.

Q: I’ve heard there will be a million units throughout Europe for March 23. Is that accurate? And how many will come to the UK, given that we’re the biggest market in Europe?

RM: We are the biggest market in Europe. It depends on which number you read, but we roughly constitute just over 22 per cent of the market in PAL – I say PAL rather than Europe, because PAL now extends out to over 100 territories, and some of those territories are quite strong. For instance, we have some of the strongest Middle Eastern and Russian sales forces compared to competing products. That means my overall number is a bit lower than it would be if I had a less well-established product. So we’re round about the 22 per cent mark which, if you divided that into the million would give you 220,000 units. I think if I go down on bended knee, I might get a little bit more. So, I will try to get as many units as I possibly can. But it will certainly be the biggest launch that the games industry has ever seen, in terms of day one numbers into the marketplace. Probably over four times PlayStation One, and close to double the amount of PS2s. So, it’s going to be a logistical nightmare – that’s a lot of trucks to get around. Product is already on its way, on ships, at the moment, and there is more being generated every single day.

Q: Is production up to full capacity? How many are you churning out each month?

RM: It still varies – fundamentally, yeah, things are looking good. The chip yield has never been an issue – that’s really exciting, because it was a huge gamble to get the Cell chip produced in mass numbers. And the issues surrounding the Blu-ray diode have got better and better as production goes on, which is exactly what happens in mass-manufacturing.

RM: Again, if the Euro goes down to 0.66 or 0.65 – I remember the Euro at 0.64 – that certainly won’t be the case, because we’ll be around where we are now. What you’re doing is what a lot of people do, because we’re freezing a trade price, but you’re making something else variable, which is not relevant to how we live in the UK. Otherwise we would have varying price for McDonalds or Starbucks, where all those things are doing is reflecting the cost of living in the UK versus the cost of living somewhere else. Of course, I would dearly love to have the PlayStation 3 RRP under £400, and at such time as we can afford to do so, we will.

Can't say that's a very satisfying answer. Price the PS3 at the exchange rate it is now, not what you believe it may or not be in the future. Seems like a feeble excuse for charging what they think they can get away with in the UK.

Can't say that's a very satisfying answer. Price the PS3 at the exchange rate it is now, not what you believe it may or not be in the future. Seems like a feeble excuse for charging what they think they can get away with in the UK.

They can't do that. That's not how firms operate. FX risk/operating exposure is not a feeble excuse. They probably locked themselves into a futures or forward contract (fully hedged) long ago for something of this undertaking. You can't go and change those positions willy nilly. No manufacturer would dare contemplate making pricing decisions based on the exchange rate taken on a day to day basis. The situation can completely flip every couple of months.

In the good old tradition of ripping off the Brits, HMV stepped up announcing that their whole PS3 launch allotment will come with a PSP and two games. link

Maybe the Japanese aren't just rejecting the xbox360, but rejecting "next gen" in general that are seen as mere graphic upgrade.
It's hard to include the sales of a 29,800 yen console (360 Core) or a 25,000 yen console (Wii) in the same category as the sales of a 49,800 yen console (PS3 20GB).

PS3 severely lacks software right now, and it lacks the casual pickup factor that Wii has. I doubt Wii sports can singlehandedly lead the strong Wii sales for a year, but looking at the long-run sales of Brain Training for DS it may happen as Nintendo can easily release Wii Sports 2007 or Wii Health every year or even every month.

As for PS3 software Feb has VF5 and March has Gundam Musou. Surprisingly Gundam Musou seems to get some attention from fans so it may accelerate the sales of hardware. Also what's often ignored is Blu-ray movies, PS3 HW sales can go up and down even in weeks without a new game albeit not much.

In the good old tradition of ripping off the Brits, HMV stepped up announcing that their whole PS3 launch allotment will come with a PSP and two games. link

I got this email. I was just floored. Floored. The gouging is now at a ridiculous level. They deserve poor sales for this sort of attitude. Disgusting.

They could try the same trick with the Wii. The way I see it, the Wii's graphics has no legs. A few years from now it'll simply look too dated. Nintendo could launch a major refresh of the box mid-cycle--if you will, with a GPU more comparable to the other next-gen console and HD support. By say late 2009, prices should have fallen enough so that they can still hit the $250 price point. More people will have HDTV sets too. I can see current Wii owners queuing up to buy the thing.

They could try the same trick with the Wii. The way I see it, the Wii's graphics has no legs. A few years from now it'll simply look too dated. Nintendo could launch a major refresh of the box mid-cycle--if you will, with a GPU more comparable to the other next-gen console and HD support. By say late 2009, prices should have fallen enough so that they can still hit the $250 price point. More people will have HDTV sets too. I can see current Wii owners queuing up to buy the thing.

The way I see it is the Wii has plenty of legs graphically for the market it targets the most. I am sure the vast majority of Wii owners have the system on thier second tv, game room, kids room ect. It will be a long time before those TVs are HD. Sure people might put the wii on the main tv from time to time for some family fun time but after that it is back to the other room. I don't think nintendo needs to worry about graphics for at least a few years. Also the ultra casual gamer which is another target market is not going to really notice or care about graphics considering how many people don't see or care about the difference between blue ray and standard dvds.

The way I see it is the Wii has plenty of legs graphically for the market it targets the most. I am sure the vast majority of Wii owners have the system on thier second tv, game room, kids room ect. It will be a long time before those TVs are HD. Sure people might put the wii on the main tv from time to time for some family fun time but after that it is back to the other room. I don't think nintendo needs to worry about graphics for at least a few years. Also the ultra casual gamer which is another target market is not going to really notice or care about graphics considering how many people don't see or care about the difference between blue ray and standard dvds.

Your assertion on where people use the Wii is questionable. The game play clearly requires physical space, which favors the living room. Just because it is relatively inexpensive doesn't mean people will treat it as the console's equivalent of a poor cousin.

While Nintendo isn't trying to wow people with eye-popping graphics, its offering can't be perceived as sub-standard either. People's expectation do rise over time as they're exposed to improved imageries. What looks "next-gen" now will be "current-gen" in a couple years.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/japanese-perspective-on-console-war-in-america-237217.php

PS3 made a good start as well in North America. Sony shipped 1 million units last year in North America and those PS3s disappeared immediately from the shelves. As of February 2007, looking around stores in Silicon Valley, West Coast, you cannot find any PS3s in major stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. Wealthy hardcore gamers and tech savviests are buying them. "PS3 is outselling 360 for now. PS3 has an amazing power and you can show it off to your friends." says a store employee

store_employee said:
PS3 has an amazing power and you can show it off to your friends

What is the "amazing power" I can show off?:LOL:

Trayless optical drive ftw!

I agree the ps3 units seemed to have moved pretty well off the shelves in most places by now. Question is, how many of those units were from the original shipment of 1 million and how many were shipped in addition?

I fully expect ps3 to have outsold xb360 in January. February and on may be a bit more difficult for ps3.

btw - welcome to B3D Hayter :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Store_employee said:
Originally Posted by store_employee
PS3 has an amazing power and you can show it off to your friends [

o_O

o_O

O_O

While the ps3 is powerful, and more powerful teoretical than the X360. No game thats out on the PS3 is anything that will "wow" anybody if they've been around a decent PC or a X360 the last year.

Back