Sony's Gamers' Day 2006 (PS3 launch details etc.)

Patching hell, variable hardware configurations, incompatibilities with older titles, etc. Anything that might taint "pure" console gaming, I suppose. None of them did I care about, but then again, I'm a PC gamer and that stuff doesn't scare me.
Certainly different configurations will increase test costs but other than that I don't see any concerns by "the industry" in the strict meaning which doesn't include consumers. Even for different configurations, there have been different PS/PS2 models with a bit different hardwares in fact...

Eh, sorry, but that's just not true. Console gaming has not heretofore included copying gigabytes of data to HDD in a lengthy process. Too, the "dreaded" keyboard and mouse seems to be a friend of the family on the PS3 whereas MS still hates it (never understood why).

Well sticking to the gaming though, I don't think that the keyboard and mouse support is going to be of usable, and the GB transfer is of course purely optional. So I still don't think that console gaming on the PS3 includes either of these per se - meaning in my eyes it's still a 'put the disc in and play' with the controller sort of experience.

Well sticking to the gaming though, I don't think that the keyboard and mouse support is going to be of usable, and the GB transfer is of course purely optional. So I still don't think that console gaming on the PS3 includes either of these per se - meaning in my eyes it's still a 'put the disc in and play' with the controller sort of experience.

I thought Sony's stance was that they would leave it to the publishers and developers on whether they would support K/M.

In contrast to MS, which prohibits K/M as input devices for games.

I thought Sony's stance was that they would leave it to the publishers and developers on whether they would support K/M.

Hmmm... well, interesting point. Wow, that would be wild if they did allow it, though honestly I think that those instances would have to be extremely few and far between. Good point though, I do stand corrected there.

Too, the "dreaded" keyboard and mouse seems to be a friend of the family on the PS3 whereas MS still hates it (never understood why).

I always thought that MS prohibited the use of keyboard and mouse to avoid drawing parallels with the PC?

On different note Toms Hardware is reporting that the Premium version of the PS3 will have an HDMI cable:

A PS3-specific high definition multimedia interface (HDMI) cable, which allows up to full 1080p resolution on HDTVs, will sell for $50. An HDMI cable is packaged with the premium $600 PS3 units, but it will not be included in the basic, $500 PS3 package.

I wonder what they mean by PS3-specific HDMI cable? I presume they mean a Sony branded HDMI cable or can they use the multi-AV out for HDMI?

I always thought that MS prohibited the use of keyboard and mouse to avoid drawing parallels with the PC?

On different note Toms Hardware is reporting that the Premium version of the PS3 will have an HDMI cable:

I wonder what they mean by PS3-specific HDMI cable? I presume they mean a Sony branded HDMI cable or can they use the multi-AV out for HDMI?

They did it to avoid mouse/keyboard players from destroying control pad players online. I agree with MS I don't want to be unfairly whooped up on by someone with a mouse and keyboard. I know I could use one also but I have tried I did not like it sitting on my couch.

now that's an option I can stand behind.

great use of the HDD. I wonder why MS didn't think of something like this? they'll probably copy it regardless though.

Come now, they already did it with the original Xbox, though admittedly it didn't happen a lot. Halo 2 is the one example that springs to mind.

That might be why you have to buy the PS2 Memory Card adaptor to get PS2 saves into the HDD rather than upload those to an online storage site and then download them to the PS3 HDD.
It has nothing to do with it. For a personal use you ll need an adaptor to transfer your OWN saves to your PS3. Even if you can upload and download from an online storage you ll need an adaptor for your own personal PS2 saves to upload. And its more convenient for your personal old PS2 saves to use an adaptor directly to your PS3

It has nothing to do with it. For a personal use you ll need an adaptor to transfer your OWN saves to your PS3. Even if you can upload and download from an online storage you ll need an adaptor for your own personal PS2 saves to upload. And its more convenient for your personal old PS2 saves to use an adaptor directly to your PS3

Well people have MaxDrives so they could upload their saves.

Now if you can download these saves to the PS3 HDD, you wouldn't need that $15 adaptor.

Another possibility is that I could transfer my saves to an SD card and then get it into the PS3 with an SD card.

Oh but I just remembered MaxDrive has that blasted proprietary file format.

Maybe the mini MaxDrive disc that I have is compatible in PS2 backwards-compatibility mode? But will the slot drive let you load the smaller disc?

Well people have MaxDrives so they could upload their saves.

Now if you can download these saves to the PS3 HDD, you wouldn't need that $15 adaptor.

Another possibility is that I could transfer my saves to an SD card and then get it into the PS3 with an SD card.

Oh but I just remembered MaxDrive has that blasted proprietary file format.

Maybe the mini MaxDrive disc that I have is compatible in PS2 backwards-compatibility mode? But will the slot drive let you load the smaller disc?

They were refering most probably to those who dont already have any other way. Like me for example. I dont have any way to transfer my PS2 saves unto a PS3. These people will sure go for the convenient method of direct trasfer through the adapter

Assuming that you have the luxury to use MaxDrive to do the work, you wont need it. But I might.

Even if there are other ways like you suggested Sony would have still announced the adaptor.

Never heard of the MaxDrive though

Sony must be really secure to allow Linux on the system and have developers permanently store data on the hard drive. To me, anyway, that raises a red flag quite high.

Is anyone else finding it funny that Sony is making console gaming more like PC gaming? The industry worried that MS would do that for years, and now it's Sony making the sweeping changes.

Interesting thought, but iPod/iTunes market presence + PC productivity appeal = PS3, IMO. Not so much what I expect, but how I imagine Sony is tackling this system. I think they want it to be viewed as an essential daily item, like PCs have become. For work or play, a PC is becoming more and more important. But I'd imagine they'd want to hook in their vast media library of music, movies and media into that userbase. I think this is the logical progression for the console market. A closed-system like Apple's Mac line, but leveraging the entertainment side of things to drive sales. Rather than challenging the PC market directly, try cutting the legs out from under the competition. PEACE.

This is the first I've heard of any HDMI cable being included. Can anyone else confirm/debunk this?

Doesnt really make sense imo, a component cable in both boxes would make more sense. Maybe Tom'sHardware misunderstood something?

not an option but don't most (360) games do this anyway with the caching system (last 3 games played are saved on it)?

Oblivion dev at NeoGaf described it pretty well a couple weeks ago suggesting that 4 Gig of data was set on the HDD and reduced load times dramatically from the Core system without HDD caching.

From my understanding this is a bit different because you can install 4GB for just a single game. whereas on the 360 I think only has 3 slots of 1GB each that can be used to cache games. I don't think you can use the entire partition all for one game right?

From my understanding this is a bit different because you can install 4GB for just a single game. whereas on the 360 I think only has 3 slots of 1GB each that can be used to cache games. I don't think you can use the entire partition all for one game right?

It is around 6GB total for the cache AFAIK and I do not think it limits it to a set amount for each game as some use more or less data as needed for cache.

I agree this adds something new to the mix but the concept is similar and maybe necessary for reasonable load times. I would hope 360 adds a similar controllable functionality at least as an option for some games as is Sony.

It is around 6GB total for the cache AFAIK and I do not think it limits it to a set amount for each game as some use more or less data as needed for cache.

But if it's 6GB and it has to accomodate the last x (3?) games, surely there is a limit to how much each can take (2GB?)? If one is greedier than the other, and took 4GB, then the others could no longer rely on having their 2GB, and so on.

I also don't know if 15 seconds loads, as in this example, are unreasonable. I don't think solutions like this are only welcome where load times are unreasonable either, as some will like faster loads regardless of whether they're 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds etc.

I also don't know if 15 seconds loads, as in this example, are unreasonable. I don't think solutions like this are only welcome where load times are unreasonable either, as some will like faster loads regardless of whether they're 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds etc.

oh I agree... I like this concept.

Come now, they already did it with the original Xbox, though admittedly it didn't happen a lot. Halo 2 is the one example that springs to mind.

I thought all the games did was cache data on the HDD. What games installed 4gigs of data on the Xbox?

On a side note, what happenned with Heavenly Sword? I was expecting the TGS build that couldnt make in to the show due to some bugs to be present on gamers day. I am also surprised that no one has asked about the game to the Sony execs that were present at the show.

Back