Motorstorm (PS3)

ahh much better video

looks good!

now give me more dirt particle effects, reduce the sparks and add more occasional dust trails and we're good to go. ;)

Titanio said:
Will have at least 16 players online, apparently :)
Sounds good. :)

I wouldnt mind seeing some different modes, like tag/capture the flag, destruction derby, and maybe some other smugglers run type modes.

Colour me impressed, the taunting will be cool aswel. And with the game only being 50% complete its could meen that graphically and physic's wise the could improve ten fold :)

As seen previously in leaked demonstrations, the vehicle - all vehicles in fact - leave ruts in the track that remain throughout the entire race. As sections of track become increasingly chopped up, traction decreases when driving over these areas and they can turn into something of a hazard.

Its also nice to hear that the Mud deformation is'nt just some pretty effect, nice to it tied into the gameplayaswel.

And is it me or the draw distance seem a little short

http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/3374/988_0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
And with the game only being 50% complete its could meen that graphically and physic's wise the could improve ten fold :)

Unlikely. 50% complete to me means, most of the R&D is done, most of the game systems are in and getting fine tuned, rest of the job is to put all the remaining content in and tweak and polish everything. It should get better looking, that's sure, but it won't be a large step IMHO.

B3D game coders, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I find the physics a bit more impressive at GDC. Hope a lot of work can ben done on it (if launch title). Disappointed, compare to some other technically-spectacular titles playable on the Ps3.

Laa-Yosh, really there's no way to tell what each developers mean when they're claiming that their game is <insert a percentage> finished.
It's an uncountable value that is arbitrarily chosen by the developers.

Vysez said:
Laa-Yosh, really there's no way to tell what each developers mean when they're claiming that their game is <insert a percentage> finished.

Totally agree. When a developer gives a rough time frame, "TBD 2007" or "Q4 2006" etc it gives us a general feel for how much more work they have left to do. All the percentage numbers IGN threw out yesterday are meaningless because we don't know how it is measured. We also don't know how the dev teams work (i.e. some dev teams swell during the content stage to over a hundred, but only start the project with 10-20 people). There are so many factors unknown that it is almost irrelevant.

As it was, saying certain games were 20% done -- when they were shown at last E3 and demoed at TGS -- would indicate they have another 4 years of development!

Vysez said:

We have a mechanism that seems to proliferate in the office in response to "how far along are you" reguarding a particular piece of code. Basically all code is either 0 10 90 or 100% complete and it usualy takes at least half the time to go from 90 to 100 (sounds a lot like an MS progress bar).

Whenever anyone asksme how complete a game is I usually just make a number up 72.3% complete. And everyone else does the same thing.

If the particle system is done...why is it almost nowhere to be seen?

I'd imagine they've got plenty to get done considering they rushed over a build on the second day of E3...seems to me there still very much in the "process" of making a game.

Could be wrong though.

chris1515 said:
http://upsilandre.free.fr/videos/motorstorm.gif

The quad crash is impressive. I only put the link
One of the coolest parts of the video. :)

edit:
that snippit is making me go back to watch for little details.
anybody catch the guy in the red jeep taunting the player/buggy at about 20 seconds. cool stuff.

also, another taughting i caught, at about 38 seconds, the jeep is taunting the player/buggy, RIGHT before he knocks the buggy off the jump. :) coolness.

ofcourse its just taunting, nothing the last gen couldnt of done, but little things like that do make the game feel more complete.
even if it is indeed 50% complete lol.

I hope they add the mud flying into the screen type stuff before the game is over, not just the screens of the car windows, but the tv screen itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty Geezer said:
I agree I think it's photography related. A shutter speed of less 1/60th second (if that's the framerate) is going to capture multiple frames. It looks like moblur because the dune buggy, player car, isn't being blurred so much, but as that's central to the view, movement is less. I can imagine 1/15th second shutter speed would look like that. That said, a quick test shows ISO 400 on my monitor at f=1:4 is 1/125th of a second. A digicam should manage as well as that.

Depending on the lens and the light-conditions at E3 1/15th isn't too unrealistic...

From experience, light conditions at the auto-mobile show in Geneva were very bad with my D-SLR and often I couldn't get beyond 1/30th...

Bad_Boy said:
Call me stupid, but do you have a direct link or somthing, I cant really seem to find a download.

A video should start playing in the middle of the page. Initially there's an intro for the website itself, which goes on for a little while, and then the Motorstorm vid should come up. But you can skip the intro by clicking 'Passer l'intro' on the vid.

Back