XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
scooby_dooby said:
Of course not, but there's alot of potential and alot of reason to be excited if you're a japanese gamer.

How ironic that they don't seem to be sharing your excitement. While the reasons seem to be quite obvious to me and the ones you're arguing with in this thread, it boggles my mind to see you continue arguing against all that is presented.

Phil said:
How ironic that they don't seem to be sharing your excitement. While the reasons seem to be quite obvious to me and the ones you're arguing with in this thread, it boggles my mind to see you continue arguing against all that is presented.
What's been presented again? It seems everyone continues to through opinions around without any substance. Why is Scoob's opinion without substance any worse than Edge's opinion without substance?

.Sis

Nicked said:
That was moments before customers were allowed in. Of course it didn't get that much busier after the doors opened, but lets not go nuts.

why would i go nuts, it just prove that ms fail in Japan big time. For the first time i see more sales/marketing people at launch then the customers.

dantruon said:
why would i go nuts, it just prove that ms fail in Japan big time. For the first time i see more sales/marketing people at launch then the customers.

Wait for the numbers first. Things may have went better than you think.

Sis said:
What's been presented again? It seems everyone continues to through opinions around without any substance. Why is Scoob's opinion without substance any worse than Edge's opinion without substance?

.Sis

Read this blog about the Osaka launch. It's quite hilarious, the bloggers play by play diary that is. "Ichabod!"

Anyways, it's pretty evident what kind of reaction MS is receiving from Japan. Tokyo seems to be the anomoly.

Of particular interest are these entries.

More newsbits from the BBC. Oddly, they quote a 400k sell out of the 360 in the US and 75k in the UK. This is more than twice that of the NDP estimates.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this page, Xbox 1 sold 123K units in its first week in Japan. (DC: 101K, PS2: 630K, GC: 133K)
My forecast for Xbox 360 is 50K.

drpepper said:
Read this blog about the Osaka launch. It's quite hilarious, the bloggers play by play diary that is. "Ichabod!"

Anyways, it's pretty evident what kind of reaction MS is receiving from Japan. Tokyo seems to be the anomoly.

Of particular interest are these entries.

More newsbits from the BBC. Oddly, they quote a 400k sell out of the 360 in the US and 75k in the UK. This is more than twice that of the NDP estimates.

Adding insult to injury

xboxvs.ryugagotku2-thumb.jpg

"Dude in the black jacket has two choices: watch some high school kids play a day-old PS2 game (Ryu Ga Gotoku) or play yet-unreleased-next-gen machine. Drumroll please. Is it going to be the PS2 or the 360 kiosk? Dude in the black jacket chooses:"

WHy does anyone expect the 360 would ahve sold well with these launch titles? Sorry i just cant get past this but they pushed back their 3 biggest games past launch. I'm not saying things will immediately reverse once the titles are available but i wouldnt have expected anyone to buy the 360 for RR6 and everyparty.

MS' strategy for Japan this generation was to have better software from Japanese based development houses. So given this launch list, why would you expet the japanese to have flocked to this console? Because its white?

expletive said:
WHy does anyone expect the 360 would ahve sold well with these launch titles? Sorry i just cant get past this but they pushed back their 3 biggest games past launch. I'm not saying things will immediately reverse once the titles are available but i wouldnt have expected anyone to buy the 360 for RR6 and everyparty.

MS' strategy for Japan this generation was to have better software from Japanese based development houses. So given this launch list, why would you expet the japanese to have flocked to this console? Because its white?

Dunno, maybe Scoob and some others can comment on this one, but if I were to bring up a few humble assumptions, I'd say because it's a new next-gen system with amazing Japanese support [sometime in the future anyway], FFXI, all those great [Western aimed] RPGs and because everyone should be first in line to get one in fear it'll be sold for weeks....

On a more serious note, Microsoft's unfortunate software delays is one thing, on the other hand, it's not really as if the Japanese have no idea about the software that going to come its way. I'm sure sales will pick up from here, but don't expect any miracles either.

expletive said:
MS' strategy for Japan this generation was to have better software from Japanese based development houses.

True, but dedicated longterm support* isn't going to be something easy if they fail to make a larger impact in the market those dev-houses primarely cater to. That also includes valuable Square-Enix support and others.

*dedicated longterm support not as in ported-software, but exclusive support with larger developer teams etc.

dantruon said:
Adding insult to injury

xboxvs.ryugagotku2-thumb.jpg

"Dude in the black jacket has two choices: watch some high school kids play a day-old PS2 game (Ryu Ga Gotoku) or play yet-unreleased-next-gen machine. Drumroll please. Is it going to be the PS2 or the 360 kiosk? Dude in the black jacket chooses:"

Um okay , before launch of the xbox 360 in the states some people would opt for shadow of the colosus instead of the xbox 360 . Not everyone can afford a new syste m nor will it apeal to everyone

^^ I see that all the time in the US. It's just that after you've played COD2 and Kameo there's not much reason left to touch the 360 kiosk.

BTW; I might as well add that if I were in Japan, I'd buy all the Xbox360s lying around. And them eBay them in America / Europe. :cool:

seismologist said:
^^ I see that all the time in the US. It's just that after you've played COD2 and Kameo there's not much reason left to touch the 360 kiosk.
I agree and in fact I would suggest, in a non-accusatory way, that these photos are really just troll bait since, as I've offered already in this thread, lack of a line is proof of nothing other than lack of a line. And even that has a temporal nature.

Anyway, I agree with one's assessment--50,000 sounds about right. But again, it's the after launch that's important. If Xbox 360 sees a consistent sales growth, that would be a victory in and of itself.

.Sis

Phil said:
BTW; I might as well add that if I were in Japan, I'd buy all the Xbox360s lying around. And them eBay them in America / Europe. :cool:

I'm sure you'd get quite a few unhappy customers ;)

Would anyone like to comment on how patriotism is/will effect sales?
IMHO it most likely has a sizable effect.

Phil said:
Dunno, maybe Scoob and some others can comment on this one, but if I were to bring up a few humble assumptions, I'd say because it's a new next-gen system with amazing Japanese support [sometime in the future anyway], FFXI, all those great [Western aimed] RPGs and because everyone should be first in line to get one in fear it'll be sold for weeks....

On a more serious note, Microsoft's unfortunate software delays is one thing, on the other hand, it's not really as if the Japanese have no idea about the software that going to come its way. I'm sure sales will pick up from here, but don't expect any miracles either.

True, but dedicated longterm support* isn't going to be something easy if they fail to make a larger impact in the market those dev-houses primarely cater to. That also includes valuable Square-Enix support and others.

*dedicated longterm support not as in ported-software, but exclusive support with larger developer teams etc.

Why would i rush out to buy a console that doesnt have any games i want to play on it?

Quite a few people in here (for the US and UK launch) were waiting for reviews of games before they went out and bought the 360 as well, why wouldnt japanese gamers do the same with eA, DOA, NNN, etc?

Again, i'm not saying this would change anything, i dont think the 360 will do particularly well in JP but it certainly isnt optimal conditions to launch a console in JP, it wasnt even the 'planned' conditions by MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
expletive said:
Quite a few people in here (for the US and UK launch) were waiting for reviews of games before they went out and bought the 360 as well, why wouldnt japanese gamers do the same with eA, DOA, NNN, etc?

Hey, that's not my argument - I was just passing on what others were saying that believed in its success prior to the Xbox360 launching overthere. I named you the reasons that were brought up [against arguments of my own] - namely the launch lineup and promising software on the horizon. I never claimed nor believed that a successful launch would be attributed alone to those factors however...

having said that, I'm really not arguing against you (I actually agree with you) - I don't think the games that haven't come out yet will make a big impact either because 1.) MS still has a looooong way to go to capture the interest of the casuals over there through better and more support catering towards those gamers interests (i.e. jRPGs), 2.) if those games would be in the among the highest anticipated ones, more people would have rushed out to get one, regardless.

Anyway, the launch indicated by these reports really isn't surprising me in the slightest. I think you may want to direct those arguments to those that have argued in the Xbox's favour prior to it launching there.

Phil said:
Anyway, the launch indicated by these reports really isn't surprising me in the slightest. I think you may want to direct those arguments to those that have argued in the Xbox's favour prior to it launching there.
I did a Google news search a little bit ago and while I got dozens of headlines talking about subdued response in Japan, they were all single-sourced. Am I missing some news reports, or is it all the same store owner talking about only selling 50?

.Sis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back