3DMarkxx - When?

Seeing Nick ( worm ) is here I'll put my requests in

lots of water ( return of nature ? )
uses dual cpu in game tests
2001 format of 4 games with hi and lo

Cheers.

Neeyik said:
What do you mean by "now free"? All versions of 3DMark have been in two modes - free but with limitations, and pay-for with no limitations. You've never had to pay for any version though to run the basic scoring tests.

Think you're being a little bit generous though in your appraisal. You never had to pay for 'feature tests' before '05, it is soo much more limited. Each iteration has taken away a lot more than the last version

Jawed said:
With 4xAA/8xAF as standard, too.

Doubt it. Futuremark have publicly said a number of times in the past that they're unwilling to use AA/AF as default, due to the differing implementations from ATi and NVIDIA, and that it's difficult to tell whether they're doing the correct samples. That said, the same can be said for non-AA/AF output anyway, so :?:

serenity said:
3DMark 2006 (or) 3DMark 2005SE

Which is it ?
Neither. ;)

madmartyau said:
How soon......soon?
That actually depends on how soon your soon is..

Unknown Soldier said:
Thanks Nick

Even though some people may hate it .. I really enjoy your product and the things you people do with the latest technology.

Thanks again.

US
Thanks! I think that 3DMark05 looked amazing a year ago (and still does), but compared to the stuff we are working on right now.. well, you'll see what I mean when we are ready to post the first screen shots.

dizietsma said:
Seeing Nick ( worm ) is here I'll put my requests in

lots of water ( return of nature ? )
uses dual cpu in game tests
2001 format of 4 games with hi and lo

Cheers.
I can reveal that we will have water in the next 3DMark as well. The next 3DMark will be somewhat different from its predecessors, also in the use of the CPU. The high and low detail levels we used in 3DMark2001 weren't that great in the end. It created extra work for our artists, and a lot of extra work for testing the benchmark. Besides, I think one high detail level scene should be enough to benchmark any hardware. I doubt that we will go back to use high and low detail levels.

Fate said:
Do we need a new version?
Simply put it, yes we do. :smile:

Jawed said:
Sounds like the time is ripe for a "what we got right/wrong with 3DMk05" article.

Jawed
IMO there's nothing wrong with 3DMark05. The difference between the next 3DMark and 3DMark05 is still (in terms of image quality, techniques used, new effects, improved effects etc.) pretty big. We will soon start to talk about the next 3DMark.

madmartyau said:
To Nick

My soon is sometime in the next 6 months.......

How soon is your soon? :LOL:
You'll know soon how soon my soon is. :D

I am curious how futuremark is going to handle the CPU/GPU load balance this time around when it comes to the bottlenecks of their benchmark. Personally I'd also like to see some individual tests with more varying bottlenecks. From vertex, to CPU, to pixel. Then again they are going for "simulated game performance" So I guess that may not be a logical path either.

I wonder if it'll have a dual-cpu thingy. If not the whole thing, then at least one test.

Nick[FM] said:
Thanks! I think that 3DMark05 looked amazing a year ago (and still does), but compared to the stuff we are working on right now.. well, you'll see what I mean when we are ready to post the first screen shots.

metalgearsolid4200509150728325.jpg

metalgearsolid4200509150728392.jpg

Yay or Nay Nick?

ChrisRay said:
I am curious how futuremark is going to handle the CPU/GPU load balance this time around when it comes to the bottlenecks of their benchmark. Personally I'd also like to see some individual tests with more varying bottlenecks. From vertex, to CPU, to pixel. Then again they are going for "simulated game performance" So I guess that may not be a logical path either.
I think we have a very good idea how to balance the GPU/CPU this time around. I am not sure how our users will react to it, but at the moment it looks to be a pretty good solution. :smile: Please keep in mind that the next 3DMark is still in development, so things may still change..

ChrisRay said:
I wonder if it'll have a dual-cpu thingy. If not the whole thing, then at least one test.
We always support the latest technologies with our new benchmarks.

fireshot said:
Yay or Nay Nick?
You are asking if the next 3DMark will be on the level of visual treatment as the stuff in those shots, right? It is rather difficult to say. Personally I was blown away when I saw what our guys had done for the next 3DMark, and I believe that our users will too (when the benchmark gets released). The video of MGS4 was nice, but IMHO it wasn't THAT spectacular. I admit that the video was well directed and had some great moments, but for some reason I didn't get that excited about it. It's down to your personal likings I guess. So to answer your question, it all depends on what you like. ;)

BRiT said:
Including 3Dc ?
I answered to the question about dual processors (and dual cores). We always look at all new innovations and techniques the IHV's bring to the market, and some end up in our benchmark.

Sounds like it is going to be a feast for the eyes Nick. Glad you are doing water again as well, always like to see good water effects.

Jawed said:
With 4xAA/8xAF as standard, too.

Jawed
AA and AF are still not "standardized", which means we have no control over them. It leads to the fact that we can't use them as default in 3DMark. They will however (as in our previous benchmarks) be available as options.

dizietsma said:
Sounds like it is going to be a feast for the eyes Nick. Glad you are doing water again as well, always like to see good water effects.
It will! ;) This time around though the new water effects are not the coolest things in 3DMark IMHO..

I'd sure like to benchmark the overclocked Ageia PhysX board I don't yet own... ;)

Back