New INEDIT RE4 v2 gameplay video

:( Ign always wastes so much bandwidth with their crappy sorenson encoding.

Is there a mirror for the original real-media stream, and was it of similar quality to IGN's (much larger) qt's?

Thanks for the movie, maskrider! I had some issues with the interleaving, but it worked ok, and with great quality.

And wow, I am very impressed with that revision of RE4. It looks like it would have been easily the scariest RE to date, and the graphics were superior to the final version in a few ways.

I would almost rather they had left it like that instead of overhauling it. I hope we will see those kind of things in the next RE game.

And wow, I am very impressed with that revision of RE4. It looks like it would have been easily the scariest RE to date, and the graphics were superior to the final version in a few ways.

actually look pretty much the same to me (right down to the dust in the air). Just with a lot more darkness (obscuring texture quality) and a more limited camera system (more like the old style RE camera).

I would almost rather they had left it like that instead of overhauling it.

That would have been an absolute tragedy for me :) While I do own the original RE for GC and have played it a bit I could never really get into it properly. I mean it had a lot of atmosphere and I loved the graphics but the controls and gameplay just didn't do it for me. RE4 is such a massive change from past games that its managed to become one of my favourite games of all time. They've added so much playability and fun to the game and still kept the amazing graphics and a lot of the atmosphere. Its like a combination of RE and Goldeneye :) That clip above looks like a kind of halfway house between REmake and RE4. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, but just nowhere near as much as I'm enjoying RE4.

But I suppose can understand people who loved the older RE games wanting the more traditional kind of gameplay.

Teasy said:
actually look pretty much the same to me (right down to the dust in the air). Just with a lot more darkness (obscuring texture quality) and a more limited camera system (more like the old style RE camera).

I see some big differences, like the final version missing that sheen on Leon's jacket, the dramatic projected shadows, and more "dense" (not more in general I would say) geometry. The texture quality also seems quite a bit better, and not just because of the darkness, although that is not too surprising considering the room based structure of the game compared to the open nature of the final build.

Teasy said:
But I suppose can understand people who loved the older RE games wanting the more traditional kind of gameplay.

Its not that I want the more traditional style of gameplay, although I did greatly enjoy the experience of the previous RE games (well, just ReMake so far), its more that I would have liked to experience the new things that this revision of RE4 would have brought to that classic formula, like (just from the video) the unparalleled level of surprising environmental reactivity, and the much spookier new enemies and the much more intense way of fighting them. I also like how the enemies seem entirely mystic, as I have always thought that the RE series was confused about whether it was supernatural or not and just concocted the lame "virus" storyline to try and have a realistic base for the unrealistic happenings :oops:

Oh, and I did say that I would *almost* rather, as I am very eagerly awaiting the Aussie release of the final RE4!

I have not gotten the game yet, but I'm more than happy to see the numerous shortcomings of the series vanishing.

Namely:
Door Animation (useless in the Remake for sure)
Poor control system (awkward even after a while)
Poor inventory system (not being able to drop stuff)
Poor targeting system (down, middle, up pouah !)
Annoying cameras (that can be discussed but I don't like the principle)
Lack of realism/logic (come on I surely can blow up that door with my shotgun !)
Weird 'action' (I remember hitting 'action' to walk 5 stairs...)

That's just a quick list, I'm sure I could find many other annoying points that seems (from what I've read) to have vanished in RE4, for our (players) greater good :)

The v2 of the game is too much like a RE1 retry to me, old manor horrors... That would have been annoying, it's refreshing to be outside in the great outdoors.

Back