Siren: Blood Curse, my first impression... (includes 1st chapter spoilers)

The Siren games on the PS2 (the first one at least) were basically hardcore versions of the game you just finished on the PS3. Siren is one of the most frustrating games I have ever laid my hands on.

I liked Blood Curse a lot, but the developers made the game a little too easy. As long as you have some sort of melee weapon equiped you can pummel just about anything to the ground without any fear of retaliation. Enemies are also completely oblivious to your torch light.
Once you realize that you can pretty much forget about the whole sight jacking feature and take on everything head on . In the old games it was an absolute necessity for survival.

Another thing that was completely stripped away as well was the somewhat weird puzzle elements and the non-linear narrative. The whole package is a lot easier to digest now (the story is still a weird mind****, though)

A few friends told me to get Siren.

I tried to play the Siren Home Space mini-game to get a sense of how good/imaginative the devs are. Unfortunately, I have never been able to enter one.

Is it still sold in parts/episodes ? Or do I have to buy everything at one go now ?

I'm pretty sure you can still buy episides individually, (in 3 part chunks that is) at least on the US PSN.

Be aware that the game doesn't really pick up until you reach the fourth or fifth chapter, and that the first 3 chapters are criminally short as well. (5-10 minutes tops each)
They do get a lot more tense, interesting and longer though.
All in all it probably took me a good 12 to 15 hours to complete. I thought it was well worth the 40 bucks.

The Siren games on the PS2 (the first one at least) were basically hardcore versions of the game you just finished on the PS3. Siren is one of the most frustrating games I have ever laid my hands on.

I liked Blood Curse a lot, but the developers made the game a little too easy. As long as you have some sort of melee weapon equiped you can pummel just about anything to the ground without any fear of retaliation. Enemies are also completely oblivious to your torch light.
Once you realize that you can pretty much forget about the whole sight jacking feature and take on everything head on . In the old games it was an absolute necessity for survival.

Another thing that was completely stripped away as well was the somewhat weird puzzle elements and the non-linear narrative. The whole package is a lot easier to digest now (the story is still a weird mind****, though)

I agree with you completely ! But still, this is the only Survival horror we have on ps3 as of now. The fear of the Shibito goes away eventually, as you said, once you come to know that, well, you CAN take them head-on. and , yes, its easier than the usual SIREN games, puzzles are non-existant, but the Story pulled it off ! I was filled with excitement and a Rush in my head when the game ended ;) ! I love these kinda endings ! :p

So, the Siren games on PS2 are harder games. I'm glad they made it easier to consume when they adapt this game for PS3. I'm not too eager to fight hard enemies.;) I think this game already took me over 20 hours to complete, getting all the files and items. Harder enemies would make me go even slower. Having some puzzles would likely suit me though.

If they do bring out another Siren game, may be they should let people choose difficulty to suit their own tastes.

Back