Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

I wish that DF would start to criticize the stutters between camera cuts more. Death stranding cutscenes on the same engine look a million times better than horizon, even just for not having them.

Can you imagine going to a movie and every camera cut the image freezes for a split second, or the physics on a cape glitch out, or things appear out of nowhere? It's dumb.

This remaster improves things, but it's still not good enough. Replayed some PS2 games and the camera cuts are pretty much always perfect for the big games.

Last edited:
HZD remaster looks great overall. Perhaps I missed it in the video but the shadows of Aloy at 12:50ish (running in desert shot) have some weird grainy/ghostiness in the remaster version... I can't tell if it's related to the dust effect that seems to be added there or whether some temporal effect is having issues there or both? In any case doesn't seem to be something that crops up in a ton of places, just made me curious:

It's mostly a good improvement, but there's some artistic choices I'm not necessarily a fan of. The main one is simply how bright green so much of the foliage is, which is especially egregious when they've added much more of it. It just looks a little too starkly contrasted against the rest of the environment, especially against all the more reddish-oranges. Other point is probably that they seem to have slightly changed the tone of some of the areas/times of day. Not sure if that's cuz of lighting changes or something, but in certain situations, I feel there's a little less of its previous atmosphere.

An example of the excess bright green I'm talking about:

horizon remaster comparison.jpg

Overall though, I'll probably buy this at some point down the line when I've upgraded my PC.

Back