Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

I feel Metro Exodus EE looks better than like 90% of new releases and runs with RT enabled on consoles at 60 fps. 4A isn’t exactly a huge studio, why were they able to manage this but nobody else can?
They used temporal GI. Which looks great but has its own drawbacks.

Having said that, really looking forward to their next title. That should be well next Gen only and should push boundaries of what to expect. (Fingers crossed)

For me those ugly blocky textures (because of VRS) was the main problem of that game and temporal GI (with sometimes latency in the lighting) was not that of a problem when playing.

Having said that, really looking forward to their next title. That should be well next Gen only and should push boundaries of what to expect. (Fingers crossed)
Whatever they did on consoles should be something every other raytracing developer should copy. At least until we have better hardware in the consoles, and considering how long cross gen lasts now that’s probably not going to be a reality for another decade (assuming developers aren’t going to create games for the PS6 exclusively until a few years in).

Formula 1 looks the best in this video.

PSSR significantly improves the picture quality in some games, while it looks worse in TLOU2. It flickered more. Let's see how that develops.

The improvements of Alan Wake 2 on the Pro would also be interesting.
I think the most overlooked improvement is Dragon Dogma 2. Even without big framerate improvements PSSR should look much better than previous CBR. I also think PSSR is working wonders in this game artstyle. I was immediatly impressed how great everything looked in the video. Too bad they didn't do a comparison snippet.

Whatever they did on consoles should be something every other raytracing developer should copy. At least until we have better hardware in the consoles, and considering how long cross gen lasts now that’s probably not going to be a reality for another decade (assuming developers aren’t going to create games for the PS6 exclusively until a few years in).

I agree, what if the solution they chose has "drawback"? Everything a developer chooses to use will have drawbacks and from what we can see it was worth it, much more than the alternatives.

I think FF7 demonstrates the biggest improvement simply because it was so bad to begin with.
Very wide AA resolve and quite visible TAA trails and disocclusion artifacts certainly were not optimal for performance mode.
I quess the good thing was that wide resolve really make it look quite stable for small details.

Will be interesting to see how PSSR handles Clouds winning animation in combat simulation.

Would have loved for Alex to ask the Jetpack and Santa Monica folks about any potential for God of War 2018 to get a DX12 update. Ragnarok runs and streams data in so much better than GoW 2018. In that game when you're in the hub world on the boat it can stutter a bit during certain loading zones. I know it's never going to happen, but it would be amazing to have 2018 on this new renderer.

Would have loved for Alex to ask the Jetpack and Santa Monica folks about any potential for God of War 2018 to get a DX12 update. Ragnarok runs and streams data in so much better than GoW 2018. In that game when you're in the hub world on the boat it can stutter a bit during certain loading zones. I know it's never going to happen, but it would be amazing to have 2018 on this new renderer.
Both GoW and Ragnarok has been designed to work on slow PS4 HDDs. I am very surprised any PC equipped with SSD and decent desktop CPU would struggle here.

By the way in that regards Ragnarok has even more visible tricks (mandatory slow paced moments, cutscenes, passing through a crack etc.) to hide the loadings on PS4 that all PS5 gamers sadly needed to experience. 2018 was much better designed there. Thanks to Balrog I guess.

Both GoW and Ragnarok has been designed to work on slow PS4 HDDs. I am very surprised any PC equipped with SSD and decent desktop CPU would struggle here.

By the way in that regards Ragnarok has even more visible tricks (mandatory slow paced moments, cutscenes, passing through a crack etc.) to hide the loadings on PS4 that all PS5 gamers sadly needed to experience. 2018 was much better designed there. Thanks to Balrog I guess.
Has nothing to do with I/O capabilities of the hardware.. it's seemingly an API code issue which they were better able to resolve using DX12.

In those comparisons shots, the left says DLSS, but is it DLSS Quality? I assume it is, but DF usually specifies it. The Ratchet and Clank comparison at 22:35 or Horizon earlier both use DLSS Quality, correct?

We actually did not produce, edit, etc. that video, rather IGN invited Oliver on to ask him about stuff. Curious they named it as "Digital Foundry:...".

Shouldn't you be doing something more productive than posting on here, like, say........ making another Crysis video?? :runaway:👀

Like a CPU bench off on Ascension.....Do it....do it....do it.....do it..... 🙏 🫶

Screenshot 2024-09-30 110122.png

Last edited:
Back