Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

I checked, and it appears to not be true. Tessellation still has strangely bad performance in the Realm between Realms as of this patch.
The one thing that is true though is that the new patch fixes portal transitions to no longer show the texture and model LOD popping.
My presumption from the video is then confirmed: the portals showing bad LOD popping had nothing to do with magical SSD speed, rather all to do with some oversight in the porting process.

Could be CPU/GPU specific at this point perhaps? Their video shows a massive bump (whether this means the quality of tessellation has improved to where it at least matches the PS5 in this region is another matter though):

1727898282289.png

....what?!

The PS5 doesn't have to 'reduce its texture quality' because it's a fixed platform and they know exactly how much VRAM is available at all times. PC developers do not, they specifically even mention in their interview that the amount of available vram on Windows will vary even with a known GPU simply because of the variability with usage from other programs. PC developers have a massive range of VRAM configurations to support, and designing an engine that scales gracefully among them is always going to require more work than a fixed platform.

So there's that, but also in DF's video, Alex mentions how the PS4 doesn't have this problem. If that wasn't the nail in the coffin for the argument that I/O is the bottleneck, we have this problem fixed a week after launch.

So you take exception to his jab at a 'magical SSD', then even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's not the problem...you proceed to attribute it to I/O. Unbelievable. You're literally the type of person he's targeting with that comment.

No I'm not because I don't think Sony ssd is magic, just good technology. Alexander is a professional at Digital Foundry and it's my right to have an opinion that his comment falls below professional standards.

Because it's an incredibly common response online whenever you see issues like this (see above), hence why he said in his review "I imagine some of you will think this the 'power of the SSD', but that doesn't appear to the case" - then proceeds to immediately show the PS4 version without this problem. So he's aware.

(As you can see below, the texture quality isn't even that lower on the Pro!)

View attachment 12110

There is much more to vram than textures just so you know. I didn't hear anyone on the internet say The God of War game is powered by the SSD until Alex mentioned it. Everyone knows it's a PS4 game in its truest form.

No I'm not because I don't think Sony ssd is magic, just good technology. Alexander is a professional at Digital Foundry and it's my right to have an opinion that his comment falls below professional standards.
Well to be fair his comment is on a public forum, it's not under the DF banner nor in a video or DF article. I Guess, like you, he is free to express a personal opinion here, and you are free to disagree, we just have to keep things civilized.

Yes you do. You've acted like Sony's SSD is magic since Mark Cerny made his 'Road to PS5' presentation.. You've also came in here after every PC launch of a Playstation Studios game and pointed out issues that involved textures or loading.. and blamed the PCs architecture while chirping about how incredible the PS5's I/O. I remember you doing it with Ratchet and Clank because there was texture streaming issues with that game.. and you pointed out the miniscule difference in that portal sequence... Funny that Nixxes was able to fix the texture streaming issues and that the portal sequence is either the same or faster without DirectStorage. Same thing happened with the Spider-man games. Oh, and the same thing happened with Horizon Forbidden West. Turns out they were just texture streaming bugs and were fixed. Now God of War's texture/model pop-in has been fixed as well and was never anything to do with I/O at all. Hell, I believe you also came in here after The Last of Us released and blamed a whole host of that games issues on PC just being inefficient and lacking the PS5's super-duper magic I/O and SSD.

There's a trend of a Sony first party game releasing, then you showing up here calling out and blaming its issues on PC architecture. I assume we'll see you again on Friday or Saturday after Until Dawn has released.

Could be CPU/GPU specific at this point perhaps? Their video shows a massive bump (whether this means the quality of tessellation has improved to where it at least matches the PS5 in this region is another matter though):

View attachment 12111

Dead on 60fps average?? Looks like a 60fps cap to me and an unlocked frame rate with Patch 4.

Although power draw from the GPU is noticeably higher with Patch 4.

I checked, and it appears to not be true. Tessellation still has strangely bad performance in the Realm between Realms as of this patch.
The one thing that is true though is that the new patch fixes portal transitions to no longer show the texture and model LOD popping.
My presumption from the video is then confirmed: the portals showing bad LOD popping had nothing to do with magical SSD speed, rather all to do with some oversight in the porting process.
Wait I just remember on PS5 the game uses AI upscaling (with FP16) to improve the texture details. Do you know how that part works on PC? do they use already "4k" textures packaged in the game or does the process needs to be done real-time like on PS5?

Wait I just remember on PS5 the game uses AI upscaling (with FP16) to improve the texture details. Do you know how that part works on PC? do they use already "4k" textures packaged in the game or does the process needs to be done real-time like on PS5?

The game is 190GB on PC, so they just have high-res textures packaged into the game.

Back