Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

IIRC, the PS5 was nearly identical to the PS4 version outside of resolution so presumably ultra settings will have a similar performance cost as in the first title.
Not the case. Jetpack Interactive compared the PS4 version to PC's low and PS5 quality mode to PC's ultra.

DF Direct Weekly #181: Major Switch 2 Leak, Intel vs AMD for PS6, FSR 4 Using AI, Days Gone Remaster​

0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:08 News 1: Switch 2 hardware revealed in apparent leak
0:23:07 News 2: Dragon’s Dogma 2 patch boosts PC performance
0:33:04 News 3: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster tested
0:44:34 News 4: RDNA 4 skips high-end GPUs, FSR 4 to be AI-based
1:00:40 News 5: Intel, AMD battled over PS6 contract
1:07:32 News 6: Horizon, Days Gone remasters rumoured
1:17:50 News 7: John gets a Virtual Boy!
1:27:12 Supporter Q1: How does Sony deliver consistently good PC ports?
1:32:51 Supporter Q2: What do you make of Nintendo suing for Palworld’s alleged patent violations?
1:38:25 Supporter Q3: Would you expect to see a big difference between FSR 2 and PSSR on Pro titles? Is ML-based upscaling powerful enough to keep console prices low?
1:43:59 Supporter Q4: What benefits will PS5 Pro bring to the PlayStation Portal?
1:46:24 Supporter Q5: Will PS5 Pro titles bring back-compat boosts for PS6?
1:49:28 Supporter Q6: How likely is a 40fps PS5 Pro mode for GTA 6?
1:53:57 Supporter Q7: Why have Respawn failed to fix fundamental issues in Jedi: Survivor on PC?
1:59:44 Supporter Q8: Why isn’t there an Ernest-based game?

I'll add that the F1 2024 upgrade is really impressive. Three ray tracing effects at once on PS5 would have chocked it, while on PS5 pro it's possible with comparable image quality. And of course, PSSR is improving and will improve in time.

The developers said that they were working on this solution for a future version of the engine, and decided to back port it. To me that sounds like it could be in death stranding 2 on PS5 amateur.
Yeah, they decided to backport it to older versions. I doubt it comes to the regular PS5, but we'll see.

That upscaling solution for forbidden west (not PSSR) looks incredible. Like almost dlss level. How are they doing that without ai? What sorcery is this?
Let's wait and see more about it. I wasn't impressed at all and much prefer PSSR sharp look. I also prefer the super fidelity mode running on PS5. And it wasn't clean in motion the way PSSR is, like all non-ML upscaling usually are. Future of upscaling is with AI upscaling.

I'll add that the F1 2024 upgrade is really impressive. Three ray tracing effects at once on PS5 would have chocked it, while on PS5 pro it's possible with comparable image quality. And of course, PSSR is improving and will improve in time.
Cant say I'm really seeing what you guys or Oli from DF were seeing in it. Differences overall didn't seem that significant to me at all. Still very much looks like the same game and not at all some 'near generational leap' as Oli suggested.

Like, on a purely technical curiosity level, it's impressive to have all that ray tracing going on in a 60fps title, sure, but visually, it doesn't really come across as that impactful.

I was definitely more impressed overall by the general image quality boosts in many games for 60fps modes, and I think that will absolutely remain PS5 Pro's prime selling point. Not that I think any of this justifies the price point.

Back