Black Myth: Wu Kong [PC, Consoles]

New trailer. Looks fantastic. Launches August 20.

Animation, lighting, physics, Nanite, particles all look fantastic. Character model, hair, materials look great in the scene at the end. Lots of camera cuts in the trailer so hard to really see what’s going on but this is shaping up to be a visual showcase that IMO already looks better than Hellblade. Hope there’s a good game in there too.

Really looking forwrd to this, I did think, for a while at least, that this always just going to be a tech demo and never actually get released!

The only thing I hope it doesn't do is trade gameplay for fancy visuals, repetitive combat and limited combinnations of mission types seem to be the bane of games like this.

Did I read right that this is going to be a timed PS5 exclusive? But not because Sony money hatted it but because the devs are struggling with the feature parity between Series X and S and that is going to delay the Xbox version by quite some time?

Did I read right that this is going to be a timed PS5 exclusive? But not because Sony money hatted it but because the devs are struggling with the feature parity between Series X and S and that is going to delay the Xbox version by quite some time?
Yes

aka "We expect this to sell a whole lot more on Playstation, so are putting most all our optimization efforts towards that for now."

Hopefully, the devs release a demo for PC, I would like to try it on my gaming laptop (3080Ti ) and hopefully it runs good enough on it.
UE5 games on PS5 are not running that good IMO (e.g. Immortals of Aveum) , too much smearing , low resolution etc.

No.

This is the second time Sony became the marketing partner for a title and Xbox series consoles won’t make launch. They are effectively paying for priority optimization and that’s going to put the ps5 release up front.

Yes.

• On which platforms can I play Black Myth: Wukong?
PC and PS5 users can enjoy the full game starting August 20, 2024. We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards, so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards.
PS5 and XSX have almost same h/w, specs, it is the XSS that has allegedly caused issues multiple times in the past.

With Xbox One first planned to be launched with DDR3 and the gimmick that was Kinect and XO marketed as some sort of Glorified TV recorder, hard to understand MS's need for penny pinching or marketing strategy.

Yes.

PS5 and XSX have almost same h/w, specs, it is the XSS that has allegedly caused issues multiple times in the past.

With Xbox One first planned to be launched with DDR3 and the gimmick that was Kinect and XO marketed as some sort of Glorified TV recorder, hard to understand MS's need for penny pinching or marketing strategy.
XB1 did have DDR3. 8GB of it thankfully, but still just DDR3. And for as underpowered as XB1 was, it still had a 360mm² die, which was bigger than PS4's, and likely with smaller volume orders, so extremely inefficient in terms of costs. Wasn't til XB1X that they switched to GDDR5.

Anyways, I dont think this really has much to do with Series S or anything. Xbox is just a low priority platform for them. They're also not some big established studio. This is their first game. Hard to be surprised at any kind of east asian studio making a very Chinese-based game focusing on PS5, either way.

No.

This is the second time Sony became the marketing partner for a title and Xbox series consoles won’t make launch. They are effectively paying for priority optimization and that’s going to put the ps5 release up front.
A very convenient explanation, even DF hypothesized in their Direct it was caused by some development problems on Xbox because of memory constraints (they think XSS is the culprit though). But It looks like some of those UE5 games need further polishing to run in a decent shape even on XSX, not only XSS. And it's not that they are not already in a hurry as they are skipping physical launch on all platforms. Wasn't there a recent UE5 game with actual pauses in some area on Xbox that needed additional time to be patched? Not the developers fault if Xbox tools or hardware is not ideal for all. I read of a dev using UE5 saying they had memory problems on XSX. The most logical explanation is that some graphically intensive UE5 games are likely using more of the fast 10GB memory pool for graphics on XSX.

The XSS too weak story seems more believable. If it was a marketing exclusive it would’ve been announced earlier.

A very convenient explanation, even DF hypothesized in their Direct it was caused by some development problems on Xbox because of memory constraints (they think XSS is the culprit though). But It looks like some of those UE5 games need further polishing to run in a decent shape even on XSX, not only XSS. And it's not that they are not already in a hurry as they are skipping physical launch on all platforms. Wasn't there a recent UE5 game with actual pauses in some area on Xbox that needed additional time to be patched? Not the developers fault if Xbox tools or hardware is not ideal for all. I read of a dev using UE5 saying they had memory problems on XSX. The most logical explanation is that some graphically intensive UE5 games are likely using more of the fast 10GB memory pool for graphics on XSX.
I mean lets be real, the entire xbox showcase is going to launch on both systems. Only these 2 games are actually having staggered launches. Baldur's Gate and Wukong, both which started as PC titles and then were co-marketed with Sony. Both of these having, effectively a timed exclusive without actually having one. The launch condition of BG3 on PS5 was not pretty, and it didn't actually get cleaned up until the Xbox release came around. That being said, as soon as MS said, hey, you can skip the co-op on Series S, it still took an additional couple of months for release. As you say, I really don't think the series consoles were anywhere close to a polished state, and in the case of this game, its clear on with a small team, the console priority is PS5 (and it should be given the size of the market). But I rather them just call it as it is, they couldn't release both in time, instead of pointing over to series S as a scape goat, what a convenient excuse to lean on: if only Series S had more horsepower to make up for the lack of investment into their port. I'm also pretty positive the XSX version isn't anywhere near ready to release either come august, even if MS chopped Series S.

Both companies target games like this, under Xbox, they specifically target: early access titles that for some reason don't make the criteria for Sony. And now Sony is targeting titles with smaller teams that don't have the resources to optimize both platforms at the same time. The difference is, Xbox is pretty transparent it's early access. This is the first time ever I've seen developers specifically call out a console hardware publicly for the reason they won't release it at the same time while being co-marketed suddenly with Sony. It's not a good look.

Last edited:
The XSS too weak story seems more believable. If it was a marketing exclusive it would’ve been announced earlier.
Games can be exclusive without there being any technical reasons for it, or marketing/exclusivity deals. It's a Chinese studio making a very Chinese game. It's also their first game. Excluding the Xbox version for now seems like a perfectly practical excuse without it having to be about anything else.

Any talk about the Series S being the issue is pure speculation, by the way. This isn't what was actually said.

Back