Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

not DF 2024 related, but I am looking for a mod that @davis.anthony mentioned in the DF 2023 thread which is now closed to replies, regarding Quake 2 Remastered, where he mentioned some person was working on porting the new Quake 2 Remastered features over to the Quake 2 RTX version, which could make it imho, the perfect Quake 2 game.

This is the message:

Is this the mod you were talking about -this one though is more like the other way around Quake 2 Remastered new levels ported over to the RTX version but without any of the gameplay enhancements-?

^Great vid by Olie! I was curious about that LCD upgrade for my original Deck. I'll just be holding off for now until the Deck 2. I'm satisfied as it is.

Alex dropped his TAA video. Exceptional job as usual!

Great AA coverage (pun intended), Alex!

Maybe a future video covering more nuance forms and bespoke GPU anti-aliasing techniques, like FSAA, QSAA, SGSSAA, SRAA, and so-on.

Great AA coverage (pun intended), Alex!

Maybe a future video covering more nuance forms and bespoke GPU anti-aliasing techniques, like FSAA, QSAA, SGSSAA, SRAA, and so-on.
those are all relics from the past now. Different forms of the almighty TAA have ruled the realm 🏰

MSAA etc. never looked good. Especially with more modern games that had more geometry and vegetation. TSAA is clearly superior. TSAA was one of the most important leaps when it comes to achieving a cinematic look. SSAA is a waste of resources and also flickers much more than TSAA.

Because of the effectiveness of good AA I don't share the mentioned opinion from the DF video that you should be able to deactivate AA. Games look very unattractive without AA and as a game director I wouldn't allow that. Even in 16k games flicker without AA.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that.

MSAA was consistent, you knew the quality you were getting and got that same edge treatment equality regardless of the game.

The same can't be said for TAA, where it ranges from clean, sharp and crisp to downright awful, blurry and ghosty.

TSAA is certainly not 'clearly' superior as it varies per game.

And I've started playing games with TAA turned off as I've found a new found appreciation for the extra sharpness and raw look of games.

I don't agree with that.

MSAA was consistent, you knew the quality you were getting and got that same edge treatment equality regardless of the game.

The same can't be said for TAA, where it ranges from clean, sharp and crisp to downright awful, blurry and ghosty.

TSAA is certainly not 'clearly' superior as it varies per game.

And I've started playing games with TAA turned off as I've found a new found appreciation for the extra sharpness and raw look of games.
There were some years when effectines of MSAA samples were diminished due to tonemap from HDR to LDR.

Took a while for developers to get decent quality again.

I hate TAA 😡

When you play a game from 10 years ago with good old MSAA+TrSSAA you realise how dog shit modern IQ is with TAA.

When I play a game from 10 year ago I realize how dogshit MSAA was in handling pixel shading. Rise of the Tomb Raider (pre-DLSS) and Arkham Knight are two prominent examples. Their image quality is just a sea of pixels blinking in and out of existence, because MSAA/FXAA are just wholly unsuited to modern pixel shaders.

Yes, even older games, as Alex pointed out, fare just fine with other AA methods, simply because they don't extensively use pixel shading. But any modern game using specular shading needs some form of temporal, or just massively brute-forcing it with SSAA. Older games looked 'cleaner' because you're asking far less of their AA solutions.

Because of the effectiveness of good AA I don't share the mentioned opinion from the DF video that you should be able to deactivate AA. Games look very unattractive without AA and as a game director I wouldn't allow that. Even in 16k games flicker without AA.

Nah, at least for the PC, I think it should always be an option. We don't know what the future will hold, there may be an injectable form of AA that stomps whatever method the game originally shipped with.

Last edited:
"If you play games at a high frame rate, you might like TAA's effect here, but I would say it kind of biases TAA's usefulness ..." - @Dictator

120 fps is the new 60 fps. 240 Hz or bust :cool:

Here's an insightful thread from Timothy Lottes on twitter in response to the video:

That's why I mentioned a future video (if Alex has the time) covering other AA methods like SGSSAA, as I mentioned in my prior post.

With an application like Nvidia Inspector, you can force and test various AA methods that may not be available in games.

Back