Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
It's a cool technical feat, I think, swapping out assets that fast, but if you aren't going to let me really do anything while you flash some pretty pictures up on the screen it might as well be prerendered or... A loading hallway

I get what you saying but it also adds to the story and harks back to what Cerny was saying that devs can do what they want now without worrying about streaming limitations. I imagine the story about there being dimensional tears was there because it's what they wanted to do and not because it's a marketing stint because of the SSD.

The SSD just facilitates them into doing what they want.

I don't know if it's my imagination but it looked better than the previous demo shown?

Insomniac delivering two games for launch is damn impressive.
To my eyes, the RT reflections were quite a bit better this time around. More was reflecting, and better than the first demo we saw. There are quite a few comparison screenshots on twitter.
The video quality was better too, which helps!

The yellow portal looks like a fancy way to do hook, and you can't use momentum to swing like titanfall 2.

The purple ones seems scripted like destiny portals.

I wonder what happen if a player move fast enough (faster than the developer has ever thought) to jump into them? I mean the purples that was used as enemy spawn cave.
The purple portals seem very simple.

An portal FX with image of the void in it.
When you go through it, it moves you to some kind of inverted sphere with world images around you.
At some point of loading it will spawn image of destination in front of you and after you go through it, you finally see the actual new world.

Pretty sure that any movement in void is illusion.
Void itself can be either in different location or just blindfold dropped before players eyes.

Funnily they basically redid the teleport/flying between worlds from Spyro.

edit:
Seems like the portal has been changed a bit.
Now it's not an image until you go through it and is a proper 'hole' to new world.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but those don't look like ray traced shadows to me. I guess I would be expecting it to be softer as it moves away from the object. I think you're just looking at higher quality shadow maps for everything.
In real life, shadows aren't always that much blurrier when they move away from the cast object, specially if that object is not as tall as, say, a building (a person, e.g.).

I think videogames may have modified our perception of reality, slightly. Another recurrent comment regarding shadows is "ew, look at those sharp shadows". Again, people: in real life, sometimes you can see quite sharp shadows.

It's like we're expecting something because we think it has to be that way, not just because that's the way it is in real life anymore.

I think the point is that there is really no need to use up resources - quite considerable ones at that - for RT shadows, when we wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. RT reflections are hard enough to see - but appreciated when you do spot them! Why spend your compute capital on stuff that you really don't need, given the nature of the game?

I think the point is that there is really no need to use up resources - quite considerable ones at that - for RT shadows, when we wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. RT reflections are hard enough to see - but appreciated when you do spot them! Why spend your compute capital on stuff that you really don't need, given the nature of the game?
I agree. When the difference is so small that you have to pause and have a discussion about it, I'd rather prefer those RT resources to get dynamic GI, for instance. Not to talk about other compute resources to finally get proper hair, cloth, destruction, etc.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h38m13s823.png

Love Clank metallic looks, and Ratchet eyes look so vivid thanks to the reflections. Great character design.

In real life, shadows aren't always that much blurrier when they move away from the cast object, specially if that object is not as tall as, say, a building (a person, e.g.).

I think videogames may have modified our perception of reality, slightly. Another recurrent comment regarding shadows is "ew, look at those sharp shadows". Again, people: in real life, sometimes you can see quite sharp shadows.

It's like we're expecting something because we think it has to be that way, not just because that's the way it is in real life anymore.
fair enough.
RT shadows should be significantly more costly than shadow maps upwards between 1-5x more costly depending on the triangles on screen and resolution

This and that Miles Morales in 4K@60 at launch.
But at what cost? I expected to see improvements until the launch, but I wonder... are they removing some more expensive details? Things like the missing shine of the moon on the water is not a problem of bad stream.

This and that Miles Morales in 4K@60 at launch.
But at what cost? I expected to see improvements until the launch, but I wonder... are they removing some more expensive details? Things like the missing shine of the moon on the water is not a problem of bad stream.
You should see their reconstruction tech (dynamic res + temporal injection) they use in Spiderman (Pro). It's really excellent. It will be worth it.

Back