Ratchet & Clank technical analysis *spawn

However, that rift sequence is not the most demanding in the game, and it's also not really interactive. That's with a bug racing trial in the game which atm on the PC, has some significant pauses when transitioning to a couple of worlds. As it doesn't scale with texture setting like the rift sequence does my guess this is not necessarily a problem with streaming performance but some other bug, but regardless as to the reason, as it stands now the one area in the game that actually involves gameplay and rift transitioning performs much worse on the PC than the PS5. We'll see what the next patch brings.

How does the latest patch improve things there? I haven't started playing the game properly yet so don't have a save that far in.

Nixxes said:
  • Improved Rift transitions during the Awesome Bugtrax Done Quick Speetle Course Challenge.

I tested and its perfectly smooth now.

Great to hear! Thx.

Edit: Ok I tried it, more mixed results on my end. The long pauses are gone, but there's still quite a significant stuttering when traversing through some of the portals. I can go down into ~40fps for a second or more, with GPU utilization dropping down in the 60% range during these transitions and plenty of ft spikes - Directstorage DLL's or not. Still by far the most taxing portal section for me.

Also the vram overcommit issue when changing dlss/resolution settings still persists.

Last edited:
Great to hear! Thx.

Edit: Ok I tried it, more mixed results on my end. The long pauses are gone, but there's still quite a significant stuttering when traversing through some of the portals. I can go down into ~40fps for a second or more, with GPU utilization dropping down in the 60% range during these transitions and plenty of ft spikes - Directstorage DLL's or not. Still by far the most taxing portal section for me.

Also the vram overcommit issue when changing dlss/resolution settings still persists.

Did you delete the pso cache file as well?

No difference.

Is there any chance you're become VRAM limited during the sequence? I've found 12GB to be quite limiting in this game. I can run fine at High textures but I've found at least one scene where I seem to be limited even at that, and get a good 25% boost just by dropping to Medium (although I'm already over 80fps at that point with high textures so I don't need to worry about it)

Is there any chance you're become VRAM limited during the sequence? I've found 12GB to be quite limiting in this game. I can run fine at High textures but I've found at least one scene where I seem to be limited even at that, and get a good 25% boost just by dropping to Medium (although I'm already over 80fps at that point with high textures so I don't need to worry about it)

Yeah this game can be brutally vram heavy, but no - ensuring I reboot the game after every settings change, I'm topping out at around 9.5gb for my settings + very high textures, with high around 8.5gb. The stutters are maybe a little better with high, but still have 1-2 second periods of chugging after going through a couple of the transitions.

Much better than before mind you, Ratchet would literally be suspended in mid-air for ~2 seconds before this patch, but still the heaviest area in the game by far - at least on my system. Perhaps it's a single-threaded bottleneck?

Not played this since launch as I finished it pretty much on the launch day patch and it seems much smoother now, played it for 40 mins and not a single stutter.

I still think it's somewhat overrated graphically.

Not played this since launch as I finished it pretty much on the launch day patch and it seems much smoother now, played it for 40 mins and not a single stutter.

The game is very consistent for much of the gameplay, it's the race trial when you're jumping between several worlds in particular that's an issue.

Not quite as perfect as I said I guess, but a massive improvement over what it was before. When I checked I was playing with half-refresh vsync enabled, so I was getting like 42 fps. I like the lower refresh-rate for this game, because it accentuates the filmic motion blur and looks so good, and it's not a game that demands super responsive controls and perfect aim anyway.. I also admittedly was only looking really at the spots where the game would literally freeze for a second or two with Rivet suspended in air lol. But anyway, I'll take this any day over what it was before. Just goes to show that with a little more love and care, these little blemishes can be fixed up. Had absolutely nothing to do with the architecture.

Also, when comparing it to a PS5 run, I'd say the game actually handles the transition at ~1:12 better and quicker on my PC than the PS5 does.

Not quite as perfect as I said I guess, but a massive improvement over what it was before. When I checked I was playing with half-refresh vsync enabled, so I was getting like 42 fps. I like the lower refresh-rate for this game, because it accentuates the filmic motion blur and looks so good, and it's not a game that demands super responsive controls and perfect aim anyway.. I also admittedly was only looking really at the spots where the game would literally freeze for a second or two with Rivet suspended in air lol. But anyway, I'll take this any day over what it was before. Just goes to show that with a little more love and care, these little blemishes can be fixed up. Had absolutely nothing to do with the architecture.

Also, when comparing it to a PS5 run, I'd say the game actually handles the transition at ~1:12 better and quicker on my PC than the PS5 does.

Yes, any frame rate drops aside, I'd say those transitions are now instant/perfect.

Might have missed it, but did anyone ever look into Windows 10 vs Windows 11 on this? Microsoft's claim is that Win11 has

additional optimizations in the IO stack

but I'm wondering if that was ever explored?

Back