Ratchet & Clank technical analysis *spawn

I'm not sure what's going on, but the game's performance tanks for me now after I die as you can see in the video (playback is choppy but you can see the framerate on the RTSS overlay). When I first load up the game it runs well using Alex's optimized settings with DLSS Performance, but after dying the framerate inexplicably plummets and never recovers. I'd be interested if anybody can replicate it. This is on my old 2080 TI with the Direct Storage DLLs removed. I know the game has some weirdness with its LOD management, maybe it's trying to render the highest LOD for everything after dying? Idk.

I'm not sure what's going on, but the game's performance tanks for me now after I die as you can see in the video (playback is choppy but you can see the framerate on the RTSS overlay). When I first load up the game it runs well using Alex's optimized settings with DLSS Performance, but after dying the framerate inexplicably plummets and never recovers. I'd be interested if anybody can replicate it. This is on my old 2080 TI with the Direct Storage DLLs removed. I know the game has some weirdness with its LOD management, maybe it's trying to render the highest LOD for everything after dying? Idk.

It still has the issue with the latest patch where vram balloons if you change any reconstruction setting after game boot, but no - I don't have an issue with dying reducing performance on my system:

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart | PC CAN Load The Portal Sequence Faster Than The PS5 Afterall​

From the YT description:

My guess is the cache.pso file are the gathered pipelines for on-the-fly shader compilation, but even after they are compiled by the driver, the cache.pso file is still being referenced to ensure the cache is valid and this can result in a very slight performance penalty (...?).

I'll test later with my 12400/3060 system to see if it has a larger effect on a more budget CPU.
I was just about to post this morning after seeing it on twitter. Pretty interesting behaviour, I wonder if Nixxes can do anything here as it definitely decreases the janky feel of those transitions on PC when the pso file is gone.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart | PC CAN Load The Portal Sequence Faster Than The PS5 Afterall​

From the YT description:

My guess is the cache.pso file are the gathered pipelines for on-the-fly shader compilation, but even after they are compiled by the driver, the cache.pso file is still being referenced to ensure the cache is valid and this can result in a very slight performance penalty (...?).

I'll test later with my 12400/3060 system to see if it has a larger effect on a more budget CPU.

Very interesting, I've now had a chance to test on my system and can also confirm the portal sequence is now faster and smoother. I've got 2 observations relating to this:

1. I'm even more convinced now that the portal sequence is deliberately limited on PC to prevent it running too quickly (either on current or future hardware) which would make the transitions look janky. It's too coincidental that on a wide range of performance profiles, the actual timing of the entire sequence is almost identical both across the PC range of hardware and the PS5. I suspect the baseline timing is one element of the equation which would mean in the most ideal circumstances the PC can match (within half a second or so) the baseline PS5 timing, but then any additional processes on the PC side like this PSO caching can be additive to the overall timing, hence why prior to this find, all hardware was always slower, even if just marginally.
2. There's something wrong with the transition between the rails sequence and the 'sliding down roof' sequence. Not only does the portal appear much closer to Ratchet on PC making it appear less smooth overall, but Ratchet actually jumps back a bit towards the camera when it does in what appears to be a broken animation.

2. There's something wrong with the transition between the rails sequence and the 'sliding down roof' sequence. Not only does the portal appear much closer to Ratchet on PC making it appear less smooth overall, but Ratchet actually jumps back a bit towards the camera when it does in what appears to be a broken animation.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Also perhaps not specifically related, but the frame pacing/camera movement in most cutscenes still has some jank as well, that has not been fixed.

Maybe I should try a fresh/clean driver install. I can't say I tested this particular aspect that closely prior to the hotfix driver but I also don't recall noticing anything out of the ordinary with regards to FG behavior back then. Also couldn't find anything on Google so it's probably a local issue.

So I tried a fresh clean driver install and hey presto, I immediately saw a healthy frame rate boost after starting the game and turning FG back on. Problem solved!

Or not.

Soon after I started to see the same issue of performance varying wildly again, sometimes much lower than it should be regardless of setting, sometimes performing as it should without FG and getting no gain from turning it on (all in the exact same scene/fixed view). Eventually I noticed a link to power draw. I can be hitting 99% GPU usage one moment with <200w power draw, and then the next I can be drawing 220w+ with 20% more frames in exactly the same scene. It's completely bizarre. I even managed to capture it on a video at one point. Simply loading the map screen and then going back into gameplay tanked both my frame rate and my power draw.

Also I can reproduce these strange results immediately after a game, or even full system restart so it's not down to toggling settings in game. I'm a bit baffled at the moment. When it's working as it should it flys, but more often than not it's massively underperforming (which shows in the power draw despite high GPU usage) and I've no idea why.

I'd upload the videos as I've captured it twice now. It's random though so tough to capture efficiently which means the vids would need editing first. Also my HDR makes the videos look horrible and W11 tells me I need to buy a new codec to play them back even though they were just recorded in GF Experience. So quite a bit of work to actually get them online.

So I think I might have finally worked out what the issue is. Unfortunately it seems to be VRAM limitations. When I switch textures from Very High to High Textures AND reset the game, I now see much higher frame rates and energy draw alongside lower system RAM usage. VRAM use doesn't read much differently in Afterburner but I suspect that's just because the game loads up spare VRAM if it's available, at least to a point.

At this point toggling FG does indeed give the expected performance increase. I'm going to try shutting everything non-essential down now to see if I can claw enough vram back to put textures back up to very high.

So I think I might have finally worked out what the issue is. Unfortunately it seems to be VRAM limitations. When I switch textures from Very High to High Textures AND reset the game, I now see much higher frame rates and energy draw alongside lower system RAM usage. VRAM use doesn't read much differently in Afterburner but I suspect that's just because the game loads up spare VRAM if it's available, at least to a point.

At this point toggling FG does indeed give the expected performance increase. I'm going to try shutting everything non-essential down now to see if I can claw enough vram back to put textures back up to very high.

The game has had bizarre vram management issues when futzing with settings since launch, yep. Pretty much to be safe you have to dial in your settings and relaunch the game.

This game is one of the first games since the mid 2000s I've seen where AF impacts performance.

Alex posted a tweet about this find and tagged Nixxes. Hopefully they take a look at it.

I know it's unlikely.. but I'd love for them to put a bit more work into the transitions, and of course fix the Speetle race transitions as well.

It still has the issue with the latest patch where vram balloons if you change any reconstruction setting after game boot, but no - I don't have an issue with dying reducing performance on my system:

Well, I tried reinstalling the game and deleting the roaming data, this time not touching the Direct Storage DLLs or anything else, and it still does it. Sometimes changing a graphics setting after dying will fix the performance, and sometimes it won't. No idea what's going on lol.

Turns out DS is not even needed. PC can beat PS5 without it.

It never had any effect really, except higher GPU usage on Nvidia from the outset, so not surprising. My tests were done without DS, I might bench it against a PS5 again but just from memory without the pso cache file, it would be identical, if not slightly faster on my modest rig. The biggest improvement was the stuttering in transitions, without the psocache it's been reduced significantly, DS or not.

However, that rift sequence is not the most demanding in the game, and it's also not really interactive. That's with a bug racing trial in the game which atm on the PC, has some significant pauses when transitioning to a couple of worlds. As it doesn't scale with texture setting like the rift sequence does my guess this is not necessarily a problem with streaming performance but some other bug, but regardless as to the reason, as it stands now the one area in the game that actually involves gameplay and rift transitioning performs much worse on the PC than the PS5. We'll see what the next patch brings.

I'mDudditz was so sure that it was all the extra tech that the PS5 has that was preventing any PC from being able to match the PS5 in that scenario too..

It's quite clear to me that if the devs actually took this game and utilized the PCs unique capabilities (RAM capacity).. it could actually probably be what I would call "instantaneous". Even as it is the only reason why those transition screens are there is to cover up the unsightly process of swapping out the geometry and updating the lighting. I guess there's only so fast that they can actually do that, regardless of whether the data for the next world is already in memory.

We all knew it was the game itself that was the problem.

I'm just interested to see what the Devs do with all this new testing and things people have found, hopefully they implement changes.

I can just imagine Nixxes looking at twitter right now shaking their heads and being like.. "no.. don't delete your cache.pso file.." lol

People are out there just telling people to delete the file, not really clarifying that if you haven't already built up a complete driver side shader cache for the game the experience will be horrible lol

Some people are even saying that they intentionally "planted the file there to make the PS5 version look superior" smh... 🙃

Hah, just saw this image posted, Rebecca (from Nixxes) has responded to this on discord

image.png

She says there's improvements which are possible for the way they handle this. Would be awesome to see an official, workable solution.

Hah, just saw this image posted, Rebecca (from Nixxes) has responded to this on discord

image.png

She says there's improvements which are possible for the way they handle this. Would be awesome to see an official, workable solution.

I assume this is the talk she's referring to:

Back