Ratchet & Clank technical analysis *spawn

Inuhanyou

Veteran
This should show that it's a bit more complicated for devs than keyboard warriors online claiming they lied about SSD. They are using SSD, CPU and traditional ram methods to do their loadings. Every part of a machine works together to get the desired result. Meaning top of the line pc with a strong CPU will get decent loading depending on the scene. But if you try a low end machine with PS4 like hw and that type of HDD, the game falls apart immediately.

And rich was being a bit charitable as the gpu was a PS4 pro tier GPU and the i3 is stronger than jaguar cores. Meaning in an actual PS4 the result would have been even worse

Why compare PC max settings against PS5 RT 60fps mode? Why not use the 40fps fidelity mode? This part I don't understand.

Like Spider-man running on PC. NIxxes use partial textures loading on PC version as it clearly can't load new assets as fast and with such low latency than PS5 I/O.
Will you stick to that argument? Because I'm pretty sure in a few weeks the texture will load normally again... it's very likely just a bug and has nothing to do with hardware.

Yeah. Base PS4 with 5GB ram total, less than half the GPU power and such a CPU...I actually would like to see a build of this game running on that just to see what would happen.

Ratchet 2016 still looks good on base PS4 but its clear rift apart is doing things last gen just couldent stomach

No, they point out explicitly it's running from a PS4 HDD inside his PC.

The funniest bit is when Rich tried running the game off an actual PS4 hard drive on a machine just above min spec!
Also it's shared with windows installation, no dedicated HDD for the game folder. All kinds of windows things are going under the hood on his HDD.

I really don't think this game is that computensive and heavily data driven. It just doesn't look like it's much at all. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when the tests come out but I'm just not seeing a need for DirectStorage with this game. The assets are very very simple and the levels are not even open. I believe they can easily fit into CPU RAM.

When?

Probably, just to compare a 60fps experience across platforms.

Then presets like RT reflection quality, crowd density, artifacting, and texture quality which PS5 still outmatched, should not have been compared in this video. @Dictator, I really hope you understand the inherent flaws in your comparison and keep in mind for the next one.

But they are not comparing framerates on those screenshots. They are comparing image fidelity. Why use the worst settings on PS5 vs the best settings on PC?
I understand what you are saying, however, the screen captures (on both platforms) are still reflective of 60fps imagery/gaming. Even with Alex machine, DLSS was still required on maintaining that 4K imagery and performance. Maybe, a 30/40fps comparison would be neat, and more than likely others such as NXGamer, ElAnalistaDeBits and a few others will provide these comparisons.

Similar texture loading problems were there with Spiderman, I'm not surprised we're seeing the same. I hoped DStorage would be the key to solve them but I guess not

on a note PS5 quality mode has higher NPC density, and higher strands of fur on ratchet. And RT reflections use a higher res too.
PS5'S I/O architecture redeemed !

And even with the flawed comparison PS5 side (right) looks noticeably sharper. I think Insomniac reconstruction solution is here better than DLSS. Aren't some of those blurry surfaces typical DLSS side effects ? I am not talking about the obviously half loaded textures like on the ground.

Maybe they should use higher quality DLSS or native resolution at stable 40fps on PC...which could be now fairly compared against the pristine PS5 40hz mode?

sSmIfy2.jpg

Like Spider-man running on PC. NIxxes use partial textures loading on PC version as it clearly can't load new assets as fast and with such low latency than PS5 I/O.
Your jumping to conclusions there. The fact the textures remain low on loaded models with plenty of time to load in higher LODs can point to a release weakness. We've seen time and again how issues have been patched out, so we can't judge the hardware performance by comparison until a few iterations of updates minimum.

on a note PS5 quality mode has higher NPC density, and higher strands of fur on ratchet. And RT reflections use a higher res too.
Great! But I think some PlayStation gamers are getting their knickers in a twist across gaming boards. Alex's machine, is simply showing a greater NPC density at 60fps when compared to PS5 60fps mode. Not that PS5 can't have greater NPC density at lower framerate modes (30/40fps).
PS5'S I/O architecture redeemed !
This will definitely be game dependent, and mostly regulated to first-party titles.

Your jumping to conclusions there. The fact the textures remain low on loaded models with plenty of time to load in higher LODs can point to a release weakness. We've seen time and again how issues have been patched out, so we can't judge the hardware performance by comparison until a few iterations of updates minimum.
Don't get me wrong but Spiderman's texture load issues with ray tracing enabled never got fixed. I have reported several times but they didn't seem to care (not that there was a public exposition like this, but I'm glad it does now).

with many things i would wait and see. But yeah it is interesting that most of the "bugs" stem from subsystems that are one of thew main focal points of PS5. Interesting to see if , lets say some of the streaming issues will stay (or still be problematic on RTX 20xx cards) after the game is patched up in a couple of months, if people then would more willingly accept that PS5s I/O system is now still one of the best out there and also by release of PS5 the Best in class like Epic Man said it ..

Shadows and reflections are broken for foliage with alpha test. This is either due to bugged any-hit shaders or due to a complete lack of them for optimization purposes (though it would be weird to have certain things lower quality on PC at max settings). LODs for BVH objects are clearly higher (the tree trunks are more detailed, etc) compared to those in the 'Performance Mode' on PS5.

Also it's shared with windows installation, no dedicated HDD for the game folder. All kinds of windows things are going under the hood on his HDD.
Are you sure about that? I don't think anything's been described for the HDD version other than Richard tried it and it was laughable and crashed. We'll need to wait for the next vid to see this PC in operation and learn if the whole PC is running from HDD or if the game was just installed to the HDD.

Maybe they should use higher quality DLSS or native resolution at stable 40fps on PC...which could be now fairly compared against the pristine PS5 40hz mode?
The PC hardware is hardly being taxed. There's loads of processing room for better quality and they don't need yto drop to 40fps to improve asset quality. The difference in visuals is caused by Something Else to be determined.

Back