Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2080 Ti is about 30% more powerful than a 2080, this is very significant and does not jive at all with the "slight difference in power" hints we've been given from other insiders. Not that I outright deny it but the idea of a 2080 Ti level console selling for $499 or even $599 is downright insanity and unfathomable:oops:. Gonna need a whole deck of receipts for proof.

A 2080 Ti is about 30% more powerful than a 2080, this is very significant and does not jive at all with the "slight difference in power" hints we've been given from other insiders. Not that I outright deny it but the idea of a 2080 Ti level console selling for $499 or even $599 is downright insanity and unfathomable:oops:. Gonna need a whole deck of receipts for proof.

His rumors cleary belong in the baseless section. Most pointed towards PS5 being more powerfull, while his rumor says scarlett being much more powerfull.

Maybe the PS5 specs are right but the Scarlett info incorrect?

New Why do people expect Sony to have the faster console? With 1 exception this has never been the case.

We expect Sony to have the (very) slightly faster console because there's been many different credible sources saying so, at least when referring to devkits.
Save from random pastebins, AFAIK all we have on 9th-gen Xbox being faster is a very old and rather vague statement from Phil Spencer and one user from this forum claiming "2080 Ti performance" out of the blue.

Plain logic would actually say Sony shouldn't bother losing several tens of millions on using more expensive hardware just to overcome the competition in performance. They have an immense advantage on the userbase (which will be very hard to move because of Plus subscriptions with backwards compatibility) and 1st party portfolios, so they could afford to have a slightly lower performing console.
Although on the other hand, since Sony can predict to sell a lot more PS5s than Microsoft can sell Xboxes, their higher revenue from software should allow them to lose more money on the hardware..

Why do people expect Sony to have the fastest console? With 1 exception this has never been the case.
conflicting information, dated information, not enough sources, not the right sources.

These are the types of environments that can burn your sources if you release information without numerous _unique_ independent sources declaring the same thing.

The issue is that Resetera isn't journalism, it's a forum, an echo chamber; "leakers" beat around the bush and lets everyone run wild with imagination. You don't know how information is being passed in the background; you don't know who is in the know, who is not. You don't know if the data points are unique or if they are even talking about the same thing. They have at best a vetting system. Which means anyone who vetted information is now in the know, but they are just a 3rd party source with now 5-6 more moderators in the know. The moderators on Resetera always 'know' things, but we don't know if they know things independently of each other.

So when someone says, but Matt said this, and Klee said that. Well how do you know Matt and Klee aren't using the same source? Does Matt or Klee or Reiner or whomever getting their information from 1st Party studios? If not; then I don't think that their information is particularly rock solid. Which is why anything subject to change.

Last edited:

For me, @Proelite 's credibility (or his sources' credibility) was killed when he made the Xbox >= 2080 Ti comment.
The 2080 Ti uses a ~19B chip that would probably be over 400mm^2 on 7nm. Adding around 60-70mm^2 worth of 8-core Zen2 would put a monolithic SoC at close to 500mm^2. Even if Microsoft goes with dGPU + Zen2 chiplet, the sheer size and/or clocks and power needed to make a 7nm Navi reach 2080 Ti levels of performance makes it very hard to fit in the typical TDP range of a home console.

Keep it in mind nothing concrete has been said by any insiders. Reiner said his sources told him PS5 target specs are higher then MS, but then there was reply to this by Mortal Kombat developer (?) saying its far to early to say which will be more powerful.

What also was interesting IMO was that Reiner tweeted this the moment Scarlett was announced at E3, therefore I am not putting my trust into this source just yet (could be anything, even elaborative leak by someone to kill Scarlett hype - which actually did happen tbh).

Besides him, no one has said much. Brad and Tom did say only now are people receiving Scarlett dev kits (which makes sense, considering when X dev kits were sent), but thats it.

I would put my trust into what we already got by Komachi and APISAK, because for sure plenty of things that leaked give us fair picture of what we can expect (at least in Sony's case). For MS, I guess 320bit bus and fact that they targeted 12TF and 4TF. But since 12TF sounds highly improbable, lets wait and see.

For me, @Proelite 's credibility (or his sources' credibility) was killed when he made the Xbox >= 2080 Ti comment.
The 2080 Ti uses a ~19B chip that would probably be over 400mm^2 on 7nm. Adding around 60-70mm^2 worth of 8-core Zen2 would put a monolithic SoC at close to 500mm^2. Even if Microsoft goes with dGPU + Zen2 chiplet, the sheer size and/or clocks and power needed to make a 7nm Navi reach 2080 Ti levels of performance makes it very hard to fit in the typical TDP range of a home console.
For me, anyone's credibility is gone the moment they say they can "assure you" next gen consoles are 12-13TF. As much as 2080TI is concerned, you would think Navi 2 with VRS and RT @ 13TF would be a match for 2080TI. So anyone saying that will pretty much indirectly tell you its ~2080TI level.

In fact, alot of journalists, insiders etc. will get certain performance targets within certain context, but given they understand very little of it, will then spread false info. This is why, without official documentation of next gen consoles (like last gen with Durango and Orbis), we cannot be sure of anything bar our own little picture. And that can be constructed from leaks such as Flute benchmark, Oberon clock speeds, memory arrangements, codenames and die size shots (for Scarlett for example).

Examples :

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/gaming/26613-durango-said-to-have-two-gpus

https://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/18/xbox-nextxbox-720-chips-in-production/

Last edited:

The problem in these PC part to console part comparisons is it's never clear what is being compared. Theoretical performance or real-world performance. If the comparison is, "Our game runs as well on the Scarlett devkit as it does on a PC with a 2080ti at equivalent settings" it becomes more plausible.

As much as 2080TI is concerned, you would think Navi 2 with VRS and RT @ 13TF would be a match for 2080TI. So anyone saying that will pretty much indirectly tell you its ~2080TI level.

A 13 TF Navi 2 would definitely be a match for a 2080 Ti, assuming it's equipped with enough memory bandwidth.
It's just that save for AMD pulling a RV670 -> RV770 miracle (where they achieved 250% more compute through a 33% increase in size/transistors), that 13TF Navi 2 GPU won't possibly be using less than 250W of power, and that seems prohibitive for a home console.

I mean I do remember when Project Scorpio was first announced Phil Spencer comparing it to a GTX 980. I think it was to be taken more of a "games would approx perform the same after console optimizations etc.." than to be taken literally.

So it's possible the same sort of thing is being thrown around with comparing it to a 2080ti.

We expect Sony to have the (very) slightly faster console because there's been many different credible sources saying so, at least when referring to devkits.
Save from random pastebins, AFAIK all we have on 9th-gen Xbox being faster is a very old and rather vague statement from Phil Spencer and one user from this forum claiming "2080 Ti performance" out of the blue.

Plain logic would actually say Sony shouldn't bother losing several tens of millions on using more expensive hardware just to overcome the competition in performance. They have an immense advantage on the userbase (which will be very hard to move because of Plus subscriptions with backwards compatibility) and 1st party portfolios, so they could afford to have a slightly lower performing console.
Although on the other hand, since Sony can predict to sell a lot more PS5s than Microsoft can sell Xboxes, their higher revenue from software should allow them to lose more money on the hardware..

Credible journalists have sources telling them that they do. Ultimately though, where there's conflicting information, people are choosing who/what they want to believe.

conflicting information, dated information, not enough sources, not the right sources.

These are the types of environments that can burn your sources if you release information without numerous _unique_ independent sources declaring the same thing.

The issue is that Resetera isn't journalism, it's a forum, an echo chamber; "leakers" beat around the bush and lets everyone run wild with imagination. You don't know how information is being passed in the background; you don't know who is in the know, who is not. You don't know if the data points are unique or if they are even talking about the same thing. They have at best a vetting system. Which means anyone who vetted information is now in the know, but they are just a 3rd party source with now 5-6 more moderators in the know. The moderators on Resetera always 'know' things, but we don't know if they know things independently of each other.

So when someone says, but Matt said this, and Klee said that. Well how do you know Matt and Klee aren't using the same source? Does Matt or Klee or Reiner or whomever getting their information from 1st Party studios? If not; then I don't think that their information is particularly rock solid. Which is why anything subject to change.

Even with all the rumors it just seems less likely that Sony will have the most powerful console.

They have much less need to. They have a massive advantage due to their brand strength and complete dominance in most parts of the world. They also have far less cash to burn taking a loss/breaking even on high end hardware. Historically Sony has never chased high end specs.

They have much less need to. They have a massive advantage due to their brand strength and complete dominance in most parts of the world. They also have far less cash to burn taking a loss/breaking even on high end hardware. Historically Sony has never chased high end specs.

These are weak arguments, IMO. Sony's console hardware designs have, since the PS4 hardware was in development, been developer driven and this has worked exceptionally well for them. Developers like powerful hardware and I expect that Sony will do their utmost to deliver it.

Sony may end up not having the most powerful hardware, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Sony and Microsoft will move tens of millions if not around a hundred million consoles. The notion that either would do so at a loss isn't likely.

If I had to guess I'd say don't will spend some of their budget on first party as always and leverage that as a reason to buy a PS5.

Microsoft will likely be more interested in power but how well they execute on delivering the most powerful console with all the other priorities remains to be seen.

I think neither Sony or Microsoft care nearly as much about being the most powerful as gamers do. Nevermind they both can spin and make PR claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back