DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

that's not true, here is a leaked comparison between PS4 and PS4 pro version.

L98wKPr.jpg

The Bikes expansion is very cheap right now ! Going to buy it just for super high speed cruising through those amazing visuals.

Jokes aside, this game NEEDS the HDR treatment. No better candidate at all !

The single worst crime of the gen Sony has committed for shutting down Evo and not even giving DC a Pro patch:devilish:. Will we ever see a better looking driving game at this rate?
I need a spiritual successor to Driveclub for PS5 launch with fixed issues so it doesn't get dragged down in sales.

Considering how Evo delivered half a game with its most essential aspect broken for half a year, I'd say Sony was pretty lenient for letting them finish what they'd started ever the 12 months since release or so. Pretty sure the guys at Evo didn't work for free all that time. Don't get me wrong here, I also think this sucks. It's just that Evo wasn't exactly the reliable workhorse Turn 10 has been all these years. Plus they've had some terrible luck in the past as well.

And they still have unmatched features !

Maybe, but i think it's the only one linear racing game running at 30fps on the market. Also, it's easier to reach good graphics on racing games because they tend to be less complex than third person games.

Considering all these advantages, DC should have looked better in my opinion.

I don't think the openworld narrative is relevant this gen, it's only a matter of manpower to create more assets in an openworld, rendering and assets streaming is not different, especially when Driveclub has massive worlds rendered around the tracks, and the draw distance is not shorter than FH.
And then as we can see now FH4 has more detail in it's openworld.
30fps is a valid argument though.

It still looks fabulous, and it was a launch title!

In some weather conditions and in motion yes. Otherwise, it is too inconsistent for my tastes.

I don't think the openworld narrative is relevant this gen, it's only a matter of manpower to create more assets in an openworld, rendering and assets streaming is not different, especially when Driveclub has massive worlds rendered around the tracks, and the draw distance is not shorter than FH.
And then as we can see now FH4 has more detail in it's openworld.
30fps is a valid argument though.

I don't know because all 60fps games tend to be linear, so being open world still seems to put some extra stress on the engine.

In some weather conditions and in motion yes. Otherwise, it is too inconsistent for my tastes.
looking at the still motion ps4 pro shot above with the audi, I cant really complain, I have a hard time believing it looks that good though normally, I think thats a bullshot

Considering how Evo delivered half a game with its most essential aspect broken for half a year, I'd say Sony was pretty lenient for letting them finish what they'd started ever the 12 months since release or so. Pretty sure the guys at Evo didn't work for free all that time. Don't get me wrong here, I also think this sucks. It's just that Evo wasn't exactly the reliable workhorse Turn 10 has been all these years. Plus they've had some terrible luck in the past as well.

No the way I remember things.
Bought the game day one and before I finished available content, there were even more game in the game. Still playing it to this day (played yesterday) and IMHO it's one of the best arcade racers ever.

Reactions: scf
It still looks fabulous, and it was a launch title!

Not even on the publication date. DriveClub has bad vegetation shading and no backlight scattering which makes vegetation look like plastic. The imposters are bad and therefore the trees have white outlines. Even with 30fps there is no visible AF, bad DoF and poor HDR due the bright clouds in grey weather. The AA solution is not satisfactory either since I can count the pixels on the cars. I think that DriveClubs visuals are disappointing for a 30fps PlayStation 4 game and even the Need For Speed of this time is better. There are technically far more impressive PlayStation 4 exclusive games from that time.

The car sounds were very good, though.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that it also seems to have an ugly noise in the motion blur.

Last edited:
DriveClub has bad vegetation shading and no backlight scattering which makes vegetation look like plastic. The imposters are bad and therefore the trees have white outlines. Even with 30fps there is no visible AF, bad DoF and poor HDR due the bright clouds in grey weather. The AA solution is not satisfactory either. I think that DriveClub is disappointing for a 30fps PlayStation 4 game and even the Need For Speed of this time is better. There are technically far more impressive PlayStation 4 exclusive games from the time.

The game you just described isn't what I'm playing. Sounds like you have four PS1s duct taped together running something other than DriveClub on PS4. By no means is DriveClub perfect, however, it still has some of the most impressive graphics and audio than most of today's racing/driving games. Even without a Pro patch, I'm still more impressed visually with DriveClub than a full 4K, high settings, Need for Speed PC game.

Back