Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
More likely to happen is they'll end up creating more Reavers, where the banter will get even nastier.

Jaguar confirmed for Xbox One Scorpio!!

Take note: DF at this point already knew all specs. In the video they say the for the generation after PS4 Pro and Scorpio there will be Zen CPU> implying Scorpio won't have it . They point to the Jaguar and say that this is weak point of this generation, and will continue to be > implying Scorpio will incorporatie that same weak point.

The DF guy with the glasses even 'corrects' himself saying it's "... a (rolls eyes) mild problem" < they spoke to MS about this, no doubt about it. IMO MS' narrative is clear.

A lot of other news outlets reporting on this.
Quite interesting actually, more of a discussion about gaming journalism in general compare:
The Verge
Microsoft is planning to unveil its Xbox Project Scorpio specifications later this week. Eurogamer’s Digital Foundry has confirmed it will run an “exclusive Xbox Scorpio reveal” on Thursday at 9AM ET, following speculation. Microsoft reportedly invited Digital Foundry to its campus recently to observe the internals of Project Scorpio and witness Forza Motorsport 7running at 4K resolution.

Forbes
For those that don't know: Digital Foundry is a vertical on Eurogamer that gets into the nitty gritty of how graphics work across consoles and PC. It's where writers review new PC hardware, compare graphics and performance across platforms, evaluate patches, and so on. Your average user can usually get the thrust of an article, but it also goes much deeper than your typical game blog. It's a deeply technical place, with a whole lot of information on offer for those capable of digesting it. I consider myself informed, or at the very least more informed than the average customer about graphics hardware and capabilities, but a given Digital Foundry article might be 50 percent incomprehensible to me.

Arstechnica
The game-hardware analysts at Eurogamer subsidiary Digital Foundry appear to have gotten their hands on another major piece of upcoming gaming kit. This time, they're set to announce "exclusive" info about Microsoft's upcoming "Project Scorpio" revision to the Xbox One, but in a curious move, the outlet has pinned an exact date and time: Thursday, April 7, at 9am ET.

As much as "upcoming news: news is coming" reports can be a little mealy-mouthed, this one is interesting because Digital Foundry's past few years of reporting have not been in Microsoft's favor. A locked-down date and time suggests that the Xbox team is handing Digital Foundry a timed exclusive, which is akin to McDonald's asking the ABC News crew behind the notorious "pink slime" report series to spend a few weeks at a beef-processing plant.

Digital Foundry has gone a long way toward confirming exactly how inferior the Xbox One has been to the stock PlayStation 4 in terms of sheer game performance. The systems' clock speeds, RAM bandwidths, and other variables have been reported on for some time, but Digital Foundry's system-comparison tests make clear exactly how Xbox One games have generally suffered as a result. These two-systems-at-once tests typically include elaborate staging, complete with cloned controller inputs on two systems and analysis of visual elements such as anti-aliasing and frame-pacing.

The DF guy with the glasses even 'corrects' himself saying it's "... a (rolls eyes) mild problem" < they spoke to MS about this, no doubt about it. IMO MS' narrative is clear.
Richard Leadbetter?

Pump your brakes kid, that man's a national treasure.

Jaguar confirmed for Xbox One Scorpio!!

Take note: DF at this point already knew all specs. In the video they say the for the generation after PS4 Pro and Scorpio there will be Zen CPU> implying Scorpio won't have it . They point to the Jaguar and say that this is weak point of this generation, and will continue to be > implying Scorpio will incorporatie that same weak point.

Watched the whole thing, saw nothing of that sort.
In fact I saw the opposite. He even mentions straight up that there has been some experiments with low power Ryzen netting very good results and we will see that in a generation console.

Interpretation, who knew?

MS told their shareholders MAU is the most important metric because of implied paying for services (even if they don't break down the percentages), they won't give up Xbox Live Gold

Watched the whole thing, saw nothing of that sort.
In fact I saw the opposite. He even mentions straight up that there has been some experiments with low power Ryzen netting very good results and we will see that in a generation console.

Interpretation, who knew?

No, they were talking about middle generation upgrades, and at 21:05 they change the subject to next-gen, so the thing which comes after Scorpio, even if you insist Scorpio is next-gen (instead of current gen), that is not the distinction they made during the panel.

Anyway, within 43 hours we'll know. I'm betting my account it won't be Zen ;-)

Last edited:
MS told their shareholders MAU is the

No, they were talking about middle generation upgrades, and at 21:05 they change the subject to next-gen, so the thing which comes after Scorpio, even if you insist Scorpio is next-gen (instead of current gen), that is not the distinction they made during the panel.

Anyway, within 43 hours we'll know. I'm betting my account it won't be Zen ;-)

I Believe he says the CPU has been an issue for current generation hardware, and continues to be a minor issue for current gen hardware. That's the meaning I got anyway. Your right we will find out soon enough. I am betting on Zen. :)

Reply ban issued for the offtopic Entitlement discussion.

More will be handed out to the next offtopic starter.

4lUMmhx.png

Oh boy! Can't wait!

Microsoft's first rule of power regulation: When in doubt, add another hundred mlcc bypass caps.

Maybe this indicates a higher clock.

C8k69LlXsAERpTp.jpg

An idea:
- If Vega is just around the corner and Scorpio has Vega, what's the probability of Scorpio's hardware unveil triggering off a bunch of NDAs regarding PC Vega cards?

Maybe not because Microsoft wouldn't want AMD's new cards to steal their thunder? Or Scorpio would always take so much more attention than Vega cards that they wouldn't matter?

blue lines and green lines...Xbox and Windows?

They do not have access to all Scorpio documentation when this interview was conducted.
The Xbox Brasil team was in the same presentation, they have access to Forza 7 and some other games with demos in 4K, have access to hardware, but do not have access to all specifications.
4K Caotured vídeos and Screenshots.
The full specifications of Scorpio it was sent on April 3. ;)

Thiago Onorato, Marketing Manage from Xbox Brasil:
https://twitter.com/onorathi/status/847197840048771072

He saw demos on March 29.

Jez Corden have the same specifications on April 3 and posted this:
https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/849282530012528641

... I think will be Custom Excavator :)

DF's involvement in some semi-official capacity is exceedingly bizarre. Perhaps a tacit admission by Microsoft that they communicate technical issues poorly or lack credibility based on past reveals, therefore they felt an independent technical assessment would be beneficial!?!

It's hard to know what to make if this aspect.

DF's involvement in some semi-official capacity is exceedingly bizarre. Perhaps a tacit admission by Microsoft that they communicate technical issues poorly or lack credibility based on past reveals, therefore they felt an independent technical assessment would be beneficial!?!

One of the rumours was something like DF got hold of some details that would make it look bad, so ms instead decided to give them access so DF would have the full picture.
So the reveal sprung from that.
Personally i think it works out good for Ms, DF, and us, well ms as long as it lives up to the billing.After the 4pro reveal can see why they would feel DF could probably present it better.
It did make me wonder if they even had their initial reveal planned out though, going by Phil's response on podcast unlocked probably nothing definite.

Last edited:
One of the rumours was something like DF got hold of some details that would make it look bad, so ms instead decided to give them access so DF would have the full picture.
So the reveal sprung from that.
Personally i think it works out good for Ms, DF, and us, well ms as long as it lives up to the billing.After the 4pro reveal can see why they would feel DF could probably present it better.
It did make me wonder if they even had their initial reveal planned out though, going by Phil's response on podcast unlocked probably nothing definite.

Yeah, I posted this from the Xbox Central podcast. Though I read a neogaf post from Jez after this in which he broke down the timeline. He said that he heard Digital Foundry was going to post something about Scorpio so he pre-emptively put out the article about the SDK not being fully baked yet to give context. But he said what he "heard" was in fact the Digital Foundry getting exclusive access to Scorpio from Microsoft to begin with. So the idea that Digital Foundry was going to post something and then Microsoft step in may not be in fact what went down.

I'm not really reading to much into it other than it could be simply that they just want to get the final specs out there now but are not ready for any other stuff like showing the actual box + revealing price.

Yeah, I posted this from the Xbox Central podcast. Though I read a neogaf post from Jez after this in which he broke down the timeline. He said that he heard Digital Foundry was going to post something about Scorpio so he pre-emptively put out the article about the SDK not being fully baked yet to give context. But he said what he "heard" was in fact the Digital Foundry getting exclusive access to Scorpio from Microsoft to begin with. So the idea that Digital Foundry was going to post something and then Microsoft step in may not be in fact what went down.
Yea, it's hard to fully know.
Going by what he said, it doesn't actually mean it didn't go down that way.
He just preempted because he thought the Thurs reveal was a leak.
But maybe they was going to leak before but ms stepped in and the result is thurs.
Or they just said f this, give the spec reveal to DF and box reveal to ign or something.

They do not have access to all Scorpio documentation when this interview was conducted.
The Xbox Brasil team was in the same presentation, they have access to Forza 7 and some other games with demos in 4K, have access to hardware, but do not have access to all specifications.
4K Caotured vídeos and Screenshots.
The full specifications of Scorpio it was sent on April 3. ;)

Thiago Onorato, Marketing Manage from Xbox Brasil:
https://twitter.com/onorathi/status/847197840048771072

He saw demos on March 29.

Jez Corden have the same specifications on April 3 and posted this:
https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/849282530012528641

... I think will be Custom Excavator :)
Going back to bulldozer would be such an odd choice. I would assume AMD is going to stop producing them if the haven't already and its a werid step between jaguar and zen. It also uses more power than zen while offering less power. Also I would imagine that AMD would want to have their newest chip inside of this box so it gets a lot of love in engines and compilers. Anyway not much longer for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back