PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the .pdf. It's nothing we haven't heard from DF and the like. Same leaked specs, clocks, etc.
Confirmation that it runs in 'compatibility' mode for PS4 titles where ti's exactly the same, and Neo enhanced mode for titles that support it.
Only new thing is mention of rendering resolutions, suggesting 1080p and 4k detection and changing as appropriate. There's a mandate that when rendering higher res, you can't have the framerate lower than the PS4 version. There's talk of 'checkerboard rendering' to help achieve higher resolution.

Oh, there's a second GPU but that'll only be unlocked in a FW update after Scorpio launches.

While I'm waiting for mod I'll re-post the links to the dev and test kits that are publicly listed on the MIC site in Japan (these model numbers are listed in the Neo docs PDF)

Link to certified to Dev Kit Proto 2 at Japans MIC site (note December 2015 date): http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/giteki/...=413ul&SN=%94%46%8F%D8&LN=2&R1=*****&R2=*****
Link to Test Kit Proto 1 (May 2016): http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/giteki/...=422ul&SN=%94%46%8F%D8&LN=4&R1=*****&R2=*****

@scently: I'll try this....

One strategy for NEO game development is to detect the resolution of the connected TV, and

Prepare a 1920x1080 display buffer when an HDTV is connected

Prepare a 3840x2160 display buffer, usually using an efficient rendering
technique such as “checkerboard rendering,” when a 4K TV is connected

Ensure that the NEO frame rate meets or exceeds the frame rate of the game on the original PlayStation®4

SDK 3.500 is designed with this strategy in mind

We will support other strategies as well; the next few pages describe a few of them.
However, we understand that you know your game best and we are happy to engage in conversations about strategies that work for the game but still deliver a great NEO experience for the player.

This is just a one random paragraph.

I've seen the .pdf. It's nothing we haven't heard from DF and the like. Same leaked specs, clocks, etc.
Confirmation that it runs in 'compatibility' mode for PS4 titles where ti's exactly the same, and Neo enhanced mode for titles that support it.
Only new thing is mention of rendering resolutions, suggesting 1080p and 4k detection and changing as appropriate. There's a mandate that when rendering higher res, you can't have the framerate lower than the PS4 version. There's talk of 'checkerboard rendering' to help achieve higher resolution.

Oh, there's a second GPU but that'll only be unlocked in a FW update after Scorpio launches.
Well can we see it then.

Oh and on the second gpu......stop trolling. Uber troll or not.

Most interesting for me given what some insiders have said is that the test kit is said to be "final spec". So the talk of two options still be on the table today is either very old info or worse...

Either they paid for the fab shrink or... maybe there's just so much dead space on the original die that they can now pack the fudge more efficiently on 28nm. :unsure:

There's talk of 'checkerboard rendering' to help achieve higher resolution.

Probably not far off from the Rainbow 6 Siege thing-a-ma-jig/bob.

:cool:

Last edited:
Not sure if this is aimed at me but I posted the link on the previous page but it still says waiting for mod approval. I assume Shifty Geezer has seen it and deemed it not correct to allow the link?
They're likely discussing. They are likely weighing out what the possible outcomes could be and whether it's worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most interesting for me given what some insiders have said is that the test kit is said to be "final spec". So the talk of two options still be on the table today is either very old info or worse...

Yeah. I found that interesting as well.

In any case, the pdf discusses a lot of scenarios that I have in mind about how both the Neo and Scorpio might handle 1080p, 4k, and any resolution in between. Like they suggest you can have 2 framebuffer; one for 1080p, and another for above 1080p upto 4k. Presumably you can have a situation whereby once a 1080p display is detected it renders the game in 1080p framebuffer with added effects and or higher framerates, while if a 4k display is detected, it renders at a higher res up to 4k, presumable with or without added effects and or better framerates, depending on what the developer feels can work.

They also talk about allowing downscaling for when a game renders at a higher than 1080p res and downsample to 1080p display. This will obviously give a boost to image quality.

It is not compulsory to ship with 2 framebuffers. They are still discussing and they suggest targeting different resolutions if you can't hit 4k native.

Nice! So is this a more recent revision of the document DF had received? I mean that thing about switching resolution was is just because DF didn't mention it or is it a new thing?
Yeah, the information about two SKUs was never corroborated by anyone, it was dubious from the start. I would guess the statement must have been about justifying what their priorities were, and why they went with the 4.2TF option instead of the 5.5TF. It never meant option B was still on the table.

Not sure if this is aimed at me but I posted the link on the previous page but it still says waiting for mod approval. I assume Shifty Geezer has seen it and deemed it not correct to allow the link?
I don't think there's a problem, but I'd prefer @Rys to decide on this one. But that said, I don't think it's worth even hosting because there's nothing new. So no need to break NDAs or risk any potential Bad Blood when we can just point to Digital Foundry etc.

Nice! So is this a more recent revision of the document DF had received? I mean that thing about switching resolution was is just because DF didn't mention it or is it a new thing.
Pretty sure it's the same document. It's talking about future events like April having first hardware. Don't recall the timing of DF's article. Switching resolution doesn't really need mentioning as it's only an option on how to support higher resolutions if devs choose to, no different to 720p and 1080p support last gen. I guess it 'confirms' games might be 4k and have 1080p modes. Otherwise it's just saying to devs, "do your own thing," whether that's render 2160p and downscale for HDTVs, or have two render modes, or render 1080p and upscale. Business as usual.

Hey!
- CPU: 6.5 cores in 7-core mode.
- GPU:
- 0.5mS for foreground execution
- 50% for background execution
I think that's the first leak about the GPU time allocated to OS.

EDIT: Supposing 0.5ms is from 16.67ms -> 3% GPU is allocated to OS

Last edited:
Hey!

I think that's the first leak about the GPU time allocated to OS.

EDIT: Supposing 0.5ms is from 16.67ms -> 3% GPU is allocated to OS
It's the same as PS4, so it was probably not worth mentioning by DF.

Pretty sure it's the same document. It's talking about future events like April having first hardware. Don't recall the timing of DF's article. Switching resolution doesn't really need mentioning as it's only an option on how to support higher resolutions if devs choose to, no different to 720p and 1080p support last gen. I guess it 'confirms' games might be 4k and have 1080p modes. Otherwise it's just saying to devs, "do your own thing," whether that's render 2160p and downscale for HDTVs, or have two render modes, or render 1080p and upscale. Business as usual.
Bummer.

On GAF it's been mostly confirmed to be the same too, the pdf is hosted publicly on scribd. Document metadata has an april 2016 timestamp, so does the giant bomb leak, and DF confirmed they had the same document as giant bomb, well everything fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back