New Ken Kutaragi interview (1) @ PC Watch

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0607/kaigai276.htm

Once again Hiroshige Goto conducted an interview with Ken Kutaragi and apparently this is the first segment in this new interview series. In this segment there are no revelations or new factoids but just confirmations, hopefully the following segments will contain interesting parts. Now this is my quick translation, here goes.

PLAYSTATION 3 evolves because it's a computer

Hiroshige Goto: SCEI have always been saying PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) is not a game console but a computer. In that sense, I'd thought that it's the important point for PS3 to become a computer whether it comes with HDD standard. But it had not been made clear for a while about the standard HDD. It seems it finally reached the standard HDD through all twists and turns since 2005.

Ken Kutaragi: In my heart it was decided that we want to include HDD as the standard. However, there were various problems such as economic reasons, and we might have not been able to secure enough 2.5inch drives. An HDD-less version might have been planned. In that case it completely becomes a game console, but we want to do a computer.

With these matters, we needed resolution even though we decided to include HDD.

HG: For a game console HDD is an economic pressure. Unlike semiconductor chips HDD cost doesn't decrease. So it becomes 40-50$ cost-up through a life cycle of a game console. Though in the case of a game console its price is lowerd to $100-$200, it becomes difficult with HDD as the standard. Does it mean PS3 doesn't take a price model like a game console?

KK: After all, we don't say it's a game console (laugh) PS3 is clearly a computer unlike PSs of so far.

Obviously we have to make it a mature hardware to a certain degree to reduce the cost when we look at it as a game console. As the methodology, we have been doing cost reduction such as chip integration and power-supply reduction. Naturally we'll do the same thing for PS3.

However, as PS3 is a computer, (not only reducing the cost) but also wants to evolve. We'll want to upgrade the HDD size very soon, if new standards appear in PC we will want to support them. We may want the BD drive to write. Well, BD may not become like that though.

The meaning in that it's not a model but a configuration

HG: Since PS3 is a computer it's not bound by the limitation of the price and cost models of a game console. Is this the reason why it has HDD as the standard which is required for a computer and its hardware evolves?

KK: It's a computer not only in HDD but in the point that it fully adopted standard formats. The interface was PlayStation-only memory card slot in the past. But PS3 has only PC standard slots.

Since they are standards, of course the interfaces are open. We control no standards. You can be free because it's a computer. Also HDD can be easily upgradable for a person who can play with PC.

HG: Game consoles fix their hardware specs through their life cycles. But PS3 seems to approximate to PC in that it can change its configuration flexibly.

KK: Since PS3 is a computer there are no "models" but "configurations". This time we try to make it clear. May as well release BTO (built-to-order) list if possible (laugh) Well, but if we do it the distribution will be confused. But, with PS3, we can do BTO if we want.

HG: In an old interview you said there's no hardware called PS3 but only a meta-format. Is it possible for PS3 to do hardware configuation as long as it has the spec enough to run softwares of a certain profile?

KK: That's right. So every configuration is PS3.

HG: Is it planned that it extends its spec every year like PC?

KK: I think it's okay to release a (extended) configuration every year (laugh). Though I say it like a joke, Dell will do it and Apple will do it too. In PC, if you fix (the spec) for 2 years you'll be caught up (by competitors). Computers should be changing, right? It's inevitable that 60GB (HDD) will become short, memory may become short too. There are many possibilities.

HG: Is it possible that a PS3 configuration with augmented computing power that exceeds the spec to run the PS3 game meta-format appears?

KK: Yes. If what you want to do increases, it's natural. Of course, it depends on how far what you want to do goes though.

The first party showed the PS3 title standard at E3

HG: At E3 first-party titles in development were playable, which had an impact.

KK: Advance forcasts said something like "there'll be no playable games" (laugh). No one expected that many playable games. At least, they wouldn't think playable games reached that level.

Generally speaking, a first-party should not stick out, but we showed the broad range since it's our responsibility. We have the responsibility to show the standard first.

In the days of PlayStation 1 there were arcade games at the top as the standard softwares. So SEGA and Namco that could port arcade games were strong. Games were made with arcade games as the standard.

But, this time I think PS3 excels all standards. Because of that, we thought they can't aim where they should go unless we show the standard with confidence. As the responsibility of the first party, we have to show it not only in the platform but also in softwares and other parts. The standard is like this even months before the release. Until the PS3 release in November it evolves further and further. I think it could become a kind of the standard.

HG: Relatively third parties were not noticeable. It seems there's a wide gap between the first party and third parties this time.

KK: For better or worse E3 was full of the first party. After all, they know the hardware well in the company and there is a horizontal connection in the SCEI global studio. For this event we created the demo to share various information, engines, and know-how.

Until then our studios had been a conglomerate of studios which stick to (SCEI organizational) regions. About half a year before, including Harrison (Phil Harrison, President, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios) and Yamauchi (Kazunori Yamauchi, President, Polyphony Digital), we combined studios. They went offsite often, and as for E3 all studios exchanged one another and discussed everything. So it became like that.

We want top guns to show their skill on PS3

HG: The computing power of PS3 Cell far exceeds PC. Though it depends on the kind of computing, its processing performance is outstanding. But its programming model is complicated and the hurdle is high. It seems third-party develpers polarize between those who can't handle Cell and those who are very excited about Cell.

KK: Even at the time of PlayStation 1 those who were into 2D graphics were like "we can't handle PlayStation, I can't understand what it does, but it's OK as it has the library."

It's no doubt that game consoles are becoming computers today. As the result (programming) becomes different from so far. It's strange that they say it's hard to create a software when the processing performance of a game console gets higher. Nobody says he/she can't create a software because clockspeed, memory and HDD of PC get better and heavier. We want top gun (programmers) to show their skill on PS3.

HG: For now actually, developments on PS3 rely on programmers' talents and efforts. There are not yet enough libraries and middlewares to lessen the burden on developers.

KK: We continue to add middlewares. But, actually, middleware is too much for one and not enough for two. It's been always like that. It's not always true that relying on a middleware makes a good game. At least in PS3, it becomes disastrous if you don't know where to use middlewares and where to be careful.

HG: Microsoft try to realize the programming framework which was successful on PC on a game console too. They are adding standardized socket APIs on the OS.

KK: Since Microsoft is coming from PC, they say things are like that in the world of PC. But, if I look at it, I think it has no evolution.

HG: In the previous console generation, the directions of SCEI, Microsoft, Nintendo, these 3 companies were different but the difference was not so big. But, this time 3 companies turn to completely different directions. There are dramatic differences.

KK: Isn't it good if it can energize the market? If they say the same things they'll end up killing each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they go through with Ken's vision of an ever evolving spec would that not keep the price of ps3 out of reach of most consumers? The concept of game console = pc is great if you utilize the shared components and save on cost but if these specs/costs are standard and do not allow the user to decide whether they need more ram/disc-space/features, then this could be disastrous for them.

I hope they stick more to the "console" concept than Ken alludes to.

I presume he means an expanding product line, so the entry level basic PS3 drops in price while higher spec'd machines with more RAM and HDD space would be released.

one said:
KK: Since Microsoft is coming from PC, they say things are like that in the world of PC. But, if I look at it, I think it has no evolution.
Yet from a graphics perspective you adopted it (or were forced to)...

A summary of Ken's view on the programming change from last gen to ps3:

It's more powerful, so what's your problem? :)

Dave Baumann said:
Yet from a graphics perspective you adopted it (or were forced to)...

So from the info you've gathered, what was the original GPU going to be for the PS3? A Toshiba modified CELL?

Brimstone said:
So from the info you've gathered, what was the original GPU going to be for the PS3? A Toshiba modified CELL?

From the very early docs, it looked as if Sony intended four Cells to be used in ps3. They probably figured that would have been sufficient for graphics creation but then perhaps cost became an issue?

TheChefO said:
From the very early docs, it looked as if Sony intended four Cells to be used in ps3. They probably figured that would have been sufficient for graphics creation but then perhaps cost became an issue?

Perhaps?!! Must have taken a nuclear engineer to realise that!! ;)

I tend to ignore whatever the bosses of corporations say, and little Ken ain't no different... I read here and there a bit and i just can't stand it. PR talk makes me cringe.

london-boy said:
Perhaps?!! Must have taken a nuclear engineer to realise that!! ;)

I tend to ignore whatever the bosses of corporations say, and little Ken ain't no different... I read here and there a bit and i just can't stand it. PR talk makes me cringe.

Hey I tread lightly in matters I'm not well versed in. :)

london-boy said:
I tend to ignore whatever the bosses of corporations say, and little Ken ain't no different...
Strange, I would agree for everyone except Kutaragi. Sure, he is a total nutcase, but I find him far more entertaining to read than most other people in an equivalent position.

Ken said:
Computers should be changing, right? It's inevitable that 60GB (HDD) will become short, memory may become short too. There are many possibilities.
Does he really propose to sell PS3s with increased RAM at some later date? HDD is obvious, but the only way I see this even remotely making sense is if they are serious about the Linux/computing aspect. Personally, If they do open it up, I would love to buy a 768MB PS3 2 years after launch, even if no games use the additional space. But how many "normal" people will?

PeterT said:
I would love to buy a 768MB PS3 2 years after launch, even if no games use the additional space. But how many "normal" people will?

Depends how far they push the "pc" aspect. Great point on Ken (or Kuta as I like to call him) - very entertaining

PeterT said:
Strange, I would agree for everyone except Kutaragi. Sure, he is a total nutcase, but I find him far more entertaining to read than most other people in an equivalent position.

Does he really propose to sell PS3s with increased RAM at some later date? HDD is obvious, but the only way I see this even remotely making sense is if they are serious about the Linux/computing aspect. Personally, If they do open it up, I would love to buy a 768MB PS3 2 years after launch, even if no games use the additional space. But how many "normal" people will?

Oh you're right on one thing, he's definitely entertaining.
Don't know, i used to admire him because of his "vision" but i think all this envisioning business burnt his brain out a little bit. Now i think his E3 shows were fabulous stand-up comedy shows...

How people and opinions change, huh...

That doesn't mean that i won't get a PS3 (eventually, after i sell my body to obtain the extra cash), but still...

Its funny that people like to dismiss KK as some kind of nutcase .. but what he's accomplished with PS vision so far exceeds what most people will ever achieve in several lifetimes, and reached goals that even industry heavy-hitters would envy.

Sony has obviously thrown down the gauntlet this generation, and its going to be very interesting how the next gen will end up. But u gotta admire the fact that they've basically tossed everything on the table and taken a huge gamble, rather than play it safe and ride the PS name another generation. A successful campaign has far reaching implications thruout the company including their movie and music studios, and their product lines such as HD televisions. A total failure is not out of the question .. and the consequences are just as extreme. But I think given the price point, they will definitely lose marketshare even to those consumers who WANT a PS3, but cannot afford one, but ultimately what they lose in marketshare in the gaming sector, will be offset by a successful introduction of BR and the PS3 Hub if they achieve even half of what they gained this gen.

A failure of course will not bring down Sony. Heads will roll, including KK's, and they will re-group. But at least he had the cajones to stick his head out there. Most people will go thru their whole life and never make a significant contribution to their company or that tough decision that will decide the course and fate of their company.

I know I sound like a KK apologist .. but I have to respect and give props to those individuals who have the tenacity follow thru on their vision and not be "yes" men. I mean people like Steve Jobs, and even those crooks like Michael Milken, who .. while they hurt a lot of people, had the power to move the stock market on a word (don't respect him, but gotta give him his props).

Last edited by a moderator:
I could definitely see a scenario like this happening in the future:

-Sony will launch the PS3, and it's initial adoption (after early adopters) will be relatively slow.

-Big name games will come out down the pipe in 2007/2008 and PS3 in its current iterations will be both priced down $100 ($399/$499), leading to faster adoption rates.

-All Sony branded Blu-ray set-top boxes will incorporate the PS3 meta-platform in the future, starting 3 to 4 years from now.

-If PS3 becomes widely adopted, other companies' Blu-ray set-top boxes will also incorporate the PS3 meta-platform, starting 3 to 5 years from now.

-PS4 will be launch as a standard to be included in set-top boxes...not an exclusive console in itself, but rather, a fully open platform with a lowest common denominator (requirements) upon which game developers will be limited. Other applications will not be limited by this standard, however, and will fully be able to take advantage of the hardware present, regardless of the configuration.

eDoshin said:
Its funny that people like to dismiss KK as some kind of nutcase .. but what he's accomplished with PS vision so far exceeds what most people will ever achieve in several lifetimes, and reached goals that even industry heavy-hitters would envy.

Sony has obviously thrown down the gauntlet this generation, and its going to be very interesting how the next gen will end up. But u gotta admire the fact that they've basically tossed everything on the table and taken a huge gamble, rather than play it safe and ride the PS name another generation. A successful campaign has far reaching implications thruout the company including their movie and music studios, and their product lines such as HD televisions. A total failure is not out of the question .. and the consequences are just as extreme. But I think given the price point, they will definitely lose marketshare even to those consumers who WANT a PS3, but cannot afford one, but ultimately what they lose in marketshare in the gaming sector, will be offset by a successful introduction of BR and the PS3 Hub if they achieve even half of what they gained this gen.

A failure of course will not bring down Sony. Heads will roll, including KK's, and they will re-group. But at least he had the cajones to stick his head out there. Most people will go thru their whole life and never make a significant contribution to their company or that tough decision that will decide the course and fate of their company.

I know I sound like a KK apologist .. but I have to respect and give props to those individuals who have the tenacity follow thru on their vision and not be "yes" men. I mean people like Steve Jobs, and even those crooks like Michael Milken, who .. while they hurt a lot of people, had the power to move the stock market on a word (don't respect him, but gotta give him his props).

Great points - agreed he is a visionary and his accomplishments should be respected. However sometimes visionaries must be put in check before their visions run outside the realms of reality.

PeterT said:

I am looking at some some imaginary scenarios but basing on how things have been for PS2 ...
lets say ..
PS3 normal ... US$ 499
PS3 premium .. US$ 599
and these are standard configs ... but there are ...
PS3 FFXIII Bundle with 80GB HDD instead of 60 GB ..priced at US$699
or
PS3 normal SOCOM bundle set but with inbuilt WiFi ... priced at $549

Just hypothetical scenarios but ...PS2 comes with many bundles where hardware is not different. In this case it might be possible to add extra hardware with bundles making them more attractive.

crystalcube said:
I am looking at some some imaginary scenarios but basing on how things have been for PS2 ...
lets say ..
PS3 normal ... US$ 499
PS3 premium .. US$ 599
and these are standard configs ... but there are ...
PS3 FFXIII Bundle with 80GB HDD instead of 60 GB ..priced at US$699
or
PS3 normal SOCOM bundle set but with inbuilt WiFi ... priced at $549

Just hypothetical scenarios but ...PS2 comes with many bundles where hardware is not different. In this case it might be possible to add extra hardware with bundles making them more attractive.

Not sure I agree with bundles which increase price so early in the lifecycle. It just makes the pricepoint too alarming.

TheChefO said:
Not sure I agree with bundles which increase price so early in the lifecycle. It just makes the pricepoint too alarming.

Well it worked for the 360 and PS2 so I don't think it will go away. I don't mind the bundles since you're going to buy a game anyways, although the bundles often don't come with the games you want.

Back