Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have I written it off? Have I said, "this will fail" or "Nintendo is teh doomed"??
Where did I say you'd written off, or suggested you can't spell 'the'? ;)

Furthermore, application of intelligence helps us identify pretty clear outcomes without the risk of having to create and test the product in the real world, so yes, it's pretty possible at times to rule something DOA without it even trying, like Ouya. Or expecting Wii to be a fad with a 90% certainty. You don't need to use a 3 foot wide controller or a piano-keys based console controller to know they're bad ideas and won't sell. Some ideas, obviosuly bad.

I agree you can look at some things and deduce they aren't going to work but experience may suggest other ideas may be bad but without using a particular implementation, what you're really bringing is irrelevant experience and bias. Take for example the iPhone. Popular opinion at the launch when Apple announced it was that the screen would be shit and it would be really difficult to type on. Coming from a BlackBerry I had that bias yet within a week or two I was typing faster on the iPhone than I had on the BlackBerry phones I'd used for years - contrary to previous experience of using a lot of touch screens.

The touchpad on the DualShock 4 looks really badly placed for concurrent controls with the sticks and/or face buttons and/or d-pad and you'd probably think a first person shooter that relied on it's use while moving about would be awful but Killzone Shadowfall does exactly that to control your drone. Contrary to expectations, it works really well. Go figure! Some conventional wisdom is just a bad preconceived notion :yep2:

I prefer real tactile buttons but I've got real good with touch buttons on iPhone and iPad, plus Vita (simulated R2/L2/R3/L3 on the real touchpad). Humans adapt.

Are you human, Grall? Are you? ARE YOU!?!?!
Definitely real button and feedback is better but the greatest limitation of phones and tablets alike is the lack of triggers. In most action gaming the device is held as handheld so only two contacts at the time are possible (or convenient ninjas do exist) which mean that whenever you need to use two virtual analog sticks you are stuck...
I can think of a couples games genre that are not going to work with touch screen inputs, but overall as long as you have Two sets shoulder button that type of input could go a long way.

Looking at the photoshop (I assume) my pov is that it look even more stupid in person than in the patent files: why get a nice screen and physical control in a complicated only to have the physical buttons to permanently hide a part of the screen ? It is both stupid and complicated (and most likely costly...).

Definitely real button and feedback is better but the greatest limitation of phones and tablets alike is the lack of triggers. In most action gaming the device is held as handheld so only two contacts at the time are possible (or convenient ninjas do exist) which mean that whenever you need to use two virtual analog sticks you are stuck...
I can think of a couples games genre that are not going to work with touch screen inputs, but overall as long as you have Two sets shoulder button that type of input could go a long way.

Looking at the photoshop (I assume) my pov is that it look even more stupid in person than in the patent files: why get a nice screen and physical control in a complicated only to have the physical buttons to permanently hide a part of the screen ? It is both stupid and complicated (and most likely costly...).
Agree on analog triggers+2 sticks being the essential for action games.

I think twirly dials as shoulder buttons were also part of the patent? If they aren't too loose that's potentially great, as you have object select and use on the same finger.

If they have full indent click as well you have possible 8 inputs on your trigger fingers. 2x analog triggers, 2x left/right scroll, 2x clicky triggers.

I've made the Homer of shoulder configurations haven't I? Could work though! :)

Interesting controller design, but it's not going to work well for games where you play on the TV (rather than just using the controller as a handheld) as touchscreens are sort of passable as input devices if you're staring at the screen all the time - like on smartphones/tablets but if you have to look at the TV while hitting virtual buttons on the controller screen that's going to be a pain.

Are they any rumours of Nintentdo employing haptic technology?

Maybe something like Redux's bending-wave haptic feedback tech:
http://www.reduxst.com/the-science-behind-our-products/
http://electronicdesign.com/components/what-s-difference-between-haptics-now-and-then

It can also be used for sound production so they wouldn't need to have speakers on the controller.

No ones saying touch buttons are Ideal but when taking the entire package into account it's not the be all,end all like your making,and i've enjoyed plenty of vice city on the ipad just fine,again the virtual thumb stick leaves alot to be desired but that element is addressed by this controller.

On mobile devices you're always looking at the screen. How well do on-screen buttons work when you're looking at a TV instead?

pkfWmFK.jpg

More leaks? This is supposed to be the controller for the console according to the leaker.

Also, the editor of Game Informer has heard that the NX controller doesn't have face buttons, but can't confirm if this is it.

My question: What the hell is the battery life like on that thing. It looks small.

The design so so un-Nintendo like. There aren't many items you can put next to an Apple product and not have it look like shit in comparison but that controller is one of them. I'm ecstatic they've lost of cheap clunky plastic designs.

Im actually interested in this wacky-but-cool-looking thing. To be clear not because it looks cool but because this is Nintendo moving out of their comfort zone.

The other leaked (assume it's genuine) shot had a WiiU pad in shot too. The nubs on the NX look absolutely dinky in comparison.

The shoulder buttons at the moment sound exactly like mouse scroll wheels, which seems like a bit of a shame.

That shot makes it much more believable. The nubs look a decent size. The ergonomics look questionable to me. The style is fairly classy and the controller will get attention for being novel. Still very unconvinced by the touch screen controller, especially the choice for the cut-outs versus a way cheaper rectangular screen. Unless the displays can be made cheaply. What'll the cost of one of these be? What will four player coop cost?

Well shit. It was true. Okay, Nintendo has officially jumped the shark. I totally hope this is just a working prototype, that was abandoned at some point, because damn, this thing is fucking horrible. A curved screen - WHY?! "Because!" "Nobody's ever done curved screens on a console before!" are all terrible answers. What happens to the corners - is the GPU rendering pixels in a rectangular framebuffer which are then thrown away?

Then to go and put the joystick nubs INSIDE the screen - I'm at a loss for words. WHY!!!!!! What is the meaning, what is the POINT? What is improved by having your fucking hands and sticks permanently obscuring the edges of the screen?!

Yeah this seems pretty bad.

For starters it seems costly, which will mean less hardware power in the main box. Really, hardware power is always the driving issue in core gaming. There is no close 2nd place.

Second, why would I want this? Seems all the same issues as the Wii U controller, rehashed.

Wait, it just occurred to me this thing detaches and becomes a stand alone handheld? Is that the idea?

Well, more cost for a dedicated chipset in there, and, I dunno. A little interesting I guess, even though I still think zero chance of success. Who even wants dedicated handhelds anymore?

I refuse to believe it. No, it could still be a fan render, or some talented craft with a 3D printer, there's still hope... Please, make it not true. :cry:

new-crying-meme-gif-822.gif

I knew the first pic looked too good of a mock-up to be a total fake,although this model seems slightly different than the last,maybe a later revision of the controller.

I think it looks super cool,bring on E3 :D

Before this, the Wii U was the most stupid shit ever (IMO).

This is how the development went:
-The Wii sold out for months, Oprah loves wii. Oprah speaks for all Americans. Oprah much good!!
-People not buy game for Wii anymore. Nintendo sad
-People buy iPad
-People don't buy game for Wii anymore because Wii is not iPad
-iPad has large screen in your hands
-Wii only have screen far way across the room
-To sell Nintendo hardware and make Oprah happy Wii must be new and improved with iPad
-not confuse consumers so name has to be Wii but with extra. People bad at counting, no numbers, letter better because people understand letter and not number: Wii 2 is bad. Wii U is good

and more of that.

This.... controller...? It's soooooooooooooooooo bad.

for all those complaining about touch control this might be the solution.

Integrated buttons under the screen that can raise where and when needed ,looks pretty amazing TBH

for all those complaining about touch control this might be the solution.

Integrated buttons under the screen that can raise where and when needed ,looks pretty amazing TBH

Looks expensive as all get out. Absolutely no way Nintendo will use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back