Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Try aiming down the sights with the Surpressor, it's supposed to be cool - also, the shots will follow the target just like the Needler's.

I only played the first level when I was quite tired last night.

Its fun, but I really need to modify the control system layout.

I used to play with Bumper Jumper layout so playing the normal default layout seems odd and very wrong. I want to hit right stick for Zoom, but then again I think that could be just as useful as Directions to AI Squad (DPad Up), similar to the Spotting system in Gears. Though I'm torn on keeping AimDownSights as left Trigger because thats how the Cod/TitanFall games do it. I often found myself jet pack thrusting when I mean to reload, so I should also remap the X button. It only took me once accidentally killing myself with a grenade before remembering thats not the button I want.

What control layouts seem to work for you?

I used to play with Bumper Jumper layout so playing the normal default layout seems odd and very wrong. I want to hit right stick for Zoom, but then again I think that could be just as useful as Directions to AI Squad (DPad Up), similar to the Spotting system in Gears. Though I'm torn on keeping AimDownSights as left Trigger because thats how the Cod/TitanFall games do it. I often found myself jet pack thrusting when I mean to reload, so I should also remap the X button. It only took me once accidentally killing myself with a grenade before remembering thats not the button I want.

I'm on Recon. As of right now it works pretty well because I rocked that control layout back in Reach. But I think sooner or later once I'm done with the campaign and transition over to multiplayer, I will have to change the layout. Ground pound with Recon just doesn't work unless you claw your index finger or something to move the right thumbstick.

I'm also timing my campaign playthrough and so far I've clocked in 4hrs11mins on Heroic. I need to complete 4 more missions. Seems like it's going to be a short campaign by the looks of it. I guess we'll see the final time once I'm done.

still running default, and torn about the left trigger zoom. Sprint and boost is so necessary now, so I'm hard pressed to figure out the new scheme.
My best mate just gave me a surprise gift of a Xbox Elite Controller in the mail.

Now i'm way too hyped, LOL this controller is excessively premium. It actually edges out Apple products in terms of both build quality and packaging quality. IT's really oozing all sorts of goodness that cost way too much for a controller.

My best mate just gave me a surprise gift of a Xbox Elite Controller in the mail.

Now i'm way too hyped, LOL this controller is excessively premium. It actually edges out Apple products in terms of both build quality and packaging quality. IT's really oozing all sorts of goodness that cost way too much for a controller.

Thanks for reminding me about this controller. But holy hell! The thing is in such high demand that it's now selling for double the retail price on Amazon. 300 USD instead of 150 USD. Damn.

Guess it'll be a bit before I get one.

Regards,
SB

Does it "feel" like a real improvement over their last version? I got this blue textured one about a year ago and it was a clear improvement over the D1 version. But then my D1 could have been broken.

Does it "feel" like a real improvement over their last version? I got this blue textured one about a year ago and it was a clear improvement over the D1 version. But then my D1 could have been broken.
I only have 2 variants before the elite, and yes it feels like a very identifiable improvement as soon as you hold the controller. It's definitely much more weighty off the bat. The resistance on the sticks are much improved, less flik flak more controlled motion. The triggers and bumbs all feel better. The paddles need some getting used to, I was accidentally mashing them all day in arena. But getting there. Still haven't decided on my control scheme yet, but may remove a paddle or two.

Light rifle sounds better than H4

Good ol' grunts.
xMuywFW.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could force one of my fellow spartans to carry an ammo bag. Liberal use of ammo basically forces one to scavenges around the map, which I hate to do because I find basic Covenant and Forerunner arms too unsatisfying to use. I find myself consistently counting rounds, stashing stuff on my back for later use or dropping stuff on the ground and coming back for it after clearing a map. I do this for no other game but Halo.

If I am running around as a billion dollar investment working to save the universe why does Halo force me to constantly scavenge like I have a "Will Work for War" sign draped around my neck. It would be okay if it was minimal but its constant.

Last edited:
Reactions: NRP
I wish I could force one of my fellow spartans to carry an ammo bag. Liberal use of ammo basically forces one to scavenges around the map, which I hate to do because I find basic Covenant and Forerunner arms too unsatisfying to use. I find myself consistently counting rounds, stashing stuff on my back for later use or dropping stuff on the ground and coming back for it after clearing a map. I do this for no other game but Halo.

If I am running around as a billion dollar investment working to save the universe why does Halo force me to constantly scavenge like I have a "Will Work for War" sign draped around my neck. It would be okay if it was minimal but its constant.
Look for the ammo boxes on the floor!

Is it time for me to bow out of this thread due to spoilers? I haven't even looked at reviews. I hope to start playing this weekend, but could be another week.

Tommy McClain

Is it time for me to bow out of this thread due to spoilers? I haven't even looked at reviews. I hope to start playing this weekend, but could be another week.

Tommy McClain
I won't spoil anything.

All I can say is coop with friends is wicked. Play on legendary! We're stuck at the first boss for 30 minutes before we had to call it a night. LOL Feels like our first destiny raid.

Well, I bought this and played it for 5 minutes. Just wanted to go back to Destiny and couldn't muster any care, pretty much as expected.

I will say the opening cutscene is glorious graphically. Probably because it's not 60 FPS, LOL. Also, it displayed some actually brevity and punchy storytelling. Cool, we'll see if that keeps up.

The graphics are very very shiny, but on the whole a bit disappointing as expected. It doesn't look that much better than Halo 4. Also, the colors are just oppressive, hard to put my finger on what I mean...it's almost monochromatic feeling. This has been the case in videos right along of course.

The whole "drop your gun cause you're out of ammo in artificially record time and grab some icky ugly alien pea shooter you dont want" thing has really gotten old too. It's like Halo just does things because thats what Halo does. I would look at ditching the entire mechanic or at least it needs some kind of revamping.

25min and I am only at 60%....meh.

Yup, install time from discs is pretty bad. If I buy the disc I'd at least like it to be a speedy install compared to downloading 60GB of data. But, it's not....is this the same on PS4?

Edit: I'm sure I'll like it better when I'm in a better mood.

Last edited:
5 minutes. Sounds like ample time for an informed opinion. I think the series is super overrated, but I at least played through the games, or played them a significant amount of time for taking a huge dump on them online and delighted myself by trolling the fans.

Back