All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titanfall boost XO sales in UK 96%, biggest #1 of 2014 in UK

The release of Titanfall boosted Xbox One sales by a whopping 96 per cent in the UK compared to the console's sales the previous week.

Respawn's PC and Xbox One shooter is the UK's best-selling game, as expected, and is the biggest release of 2014 so far with more than double the sales of what had been 2014's current leader, FIFA 14, Chart-Track revealed. The Xbox 360 version releases in a couple of weeks.

Pretty strong it seems. Although the hardware bump might be pretty small really.

Also GAf had it estimated Fifa sold 62k week one 2014, which is the mark Titanfall doubled. So, it's safe to estimates Titanfall's sales are something around/slightly over 125k.

Which somebody also said was similar to Battlefield 4's first week sales in the UK, which was ~128k.

If so that I actually find really impressive, as BF4 would have launched across 360, PS3, and PC. For Titanfall to at least nearly match it on just XO and PC, is very impressive imo.

GAF has also worked out that Titanfall PC sales was less than 6k. So indeed the vast amount on XOne.

Top 10

TOP 10 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 15 March 2014

01 (NE) TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 125.000
02 (NE) DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
03 (01) SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
04 (04) THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - 13.100
05 (02) THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - Between 11.200 and 12.000
06 (05) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (03) PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - Over 11.200
08 (06) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 7.300
09 (07) MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
10 (08) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 5.600

For hardware, I'm just completely talking out my ass here, but here's something...UK population is roughly 1/5 USA. If they sell ~1/5 hardware, last month that would have meant around 50k for the month. which is ~12,500 average per week.

Titanfall roughly doubling that could have meant 12,500 additional sales, for a total of 25k XOnes sold last week, of course this will not be an accurate figure, but could give us a feel.

Similarly, if we assume USA got a similar weekly Xone hardware boost to UK for TF, and also is selling in March at the same rate as February, it basically would mean XOne moved from shifting 62.5k two weeks ago to ~125k last week. Given March is a 5 week NPD month, extra Titanfall sales should easily push XO over 400k in March imo.

Barring though any unforeseen holes in the assumptions.

Also I guess we could do the same very rough calculation for TF sales. 5X125k=625k. Given additional weeks, we might assume USA March TF sales over 1 million?

Pretty strong it seems. Although the hardware bump might be pretty small really.
Absolutely. "Doubled the previous week." Depends entirely what the previous week sales were as to whether these are good numbers or not. It's extremely hard to work out what's happening in any European country as we lack a public figures service.

For hardware, I'm just completely talking out my ass here, but here's something...UK population is roughly 1/5 USA. If they sell ~1/5 hardware, last month that would have meant around 50k for the month. which is ~12,500 average per week.

Titanfall roughly doubling that could have meant 12,500 additional sales, for a total of 25k XOnes sold last week, of course this will not be an accurate figure, but could give us a feel.
It's really just making numbers up. Without evidence that UK console sales are tracking NA's, XB1 could be selling proportionately more or less. Could be anything from 2k a week to 20k a week.

it's strange that microsoft after pioneering digital download on consoles, is falling behind on this front
It has everything to do with the developer relation and whether devs can and will make games for a console. Going by those lists, whatever the reason, MS is not attracting development anything like Sony. One can only presume MS hasn't updated it's publishing requirements in line with the New World Order as prescribed by Apple and Google, which is a change Sony have made.

96% boost following a price drop and bundled hyped game doesn't sound like much, especially considering how low the sales probably were the week before. Hopefully for MS it is sustained and not front loaded.

96% boost following a price drop and bundled hyped game doesn't sound like much, especially considering how low the sales probably were the week before. Hopefully for MS it is sustained and not front loaded.
Yeah it depends on what sales were like before. A 96% weekly bump could be ok, or it could be great. I have a feeling it's somewhere in between. And like I've been saying all along, I think the price drop and/or bundle will contribute more to any hardware bump in sales more so than Titanfall itself. I don't think the US will see quite as big of a bump because they didn't receive a £30 (~$50USD) price drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
The boost doesn't look as impressive when you take into account this.

R3OSmDs.png

He's the editor at MVC I believe. Someone at NeoGaf put it quite well.

Microsoft: Spend large sums of money on exclusivity rights for a 3rd party game, advertise and market the hell out of it, bundle it for free with Xbox One consoles, unofficial price drops of the console in many retailers = 96% increase in console sales

Sony: Make more PS4 stock available = 72% increase in console sales.

Surely MS would be looking at >100% sales increase for it to have any effect on closing the gap with the PS4. This kind of sales figure sounds impressive but does nothing to mitigate the sales gap between the two consoles. In fact the gap will have widened even further now that PS4 stock is back in the system.

I can see all PS4 stock drying up again when Infamous launches.

Most of us care about meaningful numbers. Which these are not
They're not very, but they're the only numbers available to discuss ATM. XB1 having a 96% increase gave pretty much no info, but the PS4 increase shows relative changes as influenced by market manoeuvres, so there's something there to discuss, however small.

They're not very, but they're the only numbers available to discuss ATM. XB1 having a 96% increase gave pretty much no info, but the PS4 increase shows relative changes as influenced by market manoeuvres, so there's something there to discuss, however small.

PS4 sales increase would only seem to be indicative of the stock situation. But the fact that those sales are happening in the face of a cheaper XB1 and the launch of the most hyped game so far is a pretty strong statement of the general public's interest.

#3 on US amazon currently, but it has to contend with an in-stock PS4, unlike TF and DS2.
Yeah, the PS4 easily took 1st spot when it was in stock during pre-Titanfall release so I expect it to do the same here. Especially since Infamous will probably help boost HW sales.

Titanfall boost XO sales in UK 96%, biggest #1 of 2014 in UK

Also GAf had it estimated Fifa sold 62k week one 2014, which is the mark Titanfall doubled. So, it's safe to estimates Titanfall's sales are something around/slightly over 125k.

Which somebody also said was similar to Battlefield 4's first week sales in the UK, which was ~128k.

If so that I actually find really impressive, as BF4 would have launched across 360, PS3, and PC. For Titanfall to at least nearly match it on just XO and PC, is very impressive imo.

GAF has also worked out that Titanfall PC sales was less than 6k. So indeed the vast amount on XOne.

Top 10

Similarly, if we assume USA got a similar weekly Xone hardware boost to UK for TF, and also is selling in March at the same rate as February, it basically would mean XOne moved from shifting 62.5k two weeks ago to ~125k last week. Given March is a 5 week NPD month, extra Titanfall sales should easily push XO over 400k in March imo.

Barring though any unforeseen holes in the assumptions.

Also I guess we could do the same very rough calculation for TF sales. 5X125k=625k. Given additional weeks, we might assume USA March TF sales over 1 million?
That's an improvement that might help to balance the sales a little bit, albeit a price drop should take place some day...

An UK retailer, GameSeek is going to temporarily drop the price of the Xbox One with FIFA 14 to £299.99 this week.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/titanfall/news/uk_retailer_to_cut_xbox_one_to_299_this_week.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back