All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, take with a mountainous grain of salt, but I think Famousmortimer on GAF claimed Sony gave EA a recent presentation how much more Titanfall would have sold on PS3/PS4, and that it dwarfs what MS paid them. And that EA is in full "we're sorry Sony" mode.

Again, it's GAF, but it seems to make sense. Titanfall should have at least doubled console sales by being on Sony platforms, if not more given the success of PS4, and it's hard to see MS matching that kind of cash.

Whatever, it was a bold and smart move by MS to lock that up when they saw a chance.

I dont think EA expected the early pummeling PS4 put on Xbox One, either, presumably.

Edit: whoops, I see I'm just recapping what Bonobo said...

how ? There are what 6 m ps4s out in the wild ? Vs 4m or so xbox ones , how much more could it have possibly sold. Remember the take home per game is less than $30 bucks for EA . So even if we say it could sell 2m more that would only be 60m bucks . Doesn't seem like a lot of money on the table and who knows ifa nyone would care about the game if MS didn't have to push it like they did for the last year ?

Microsoft secured Titanfall on XB1\Windows\XB360 after the E3. EA knows the graphical difference between two consoles (BF4), price of them and negative internet reactions toward XB1. So Microsoft already paid them a lot of money. They're not dumb.

The original timed exclusivity deal predates the announcement of either console. It was after E3 and the backlash that MS went after the permanent exclusivity and EA squeezed as much money out of them they could to salvage what had turned into a strategic boondoggle.

how ? There are what 6 m ps4s out in the wild ? Vs 4m or so xbox ones , how much more could it have possibly sold. Remember the take home per game is less than $30 bucks for EA . So even if we say it could sell 2m more that would only be 60m bucks . Doesn't seem like a lot of money on the table and who knows ifa nyone would care about the game if MS didn't have to push it like they did for the last year ?

I think this analysis is missing some context:

1) Development of PS3 and PS4 versions would have been in the millions which offsets the 60M figure some - in other words it didn't cost EA as much as some might think to go exclusive. Also didn't MS agree to handle all the marketing expense?

2) Regardless of the marketing MS threw at the game it was going be hyped by the gaming media bc of its pedigree.

3)a Developers as much as anything else want to create an IP that keeps fans coming back, Respawn appears to potentially have that with Titanfall. Its entirely reasonable to believe at least 3 games will made over a 3 to 6 year time frame if not more. That is a 'jackpot' so to speak for any developer.
3)b Platform holders need titles like this which will bring in revenue from gamers who need access to online MP and are able to produce the online multi-player multiplier effect due to friends going where their friends went in the next round.

4) Respawn is a relatively small team, developing on additional platforms would make it even more difficult to effectively manage the project both in terms of time, resources and quality. It was probably smart in the short run at least to do a one year exclusive especially when one thinks about the difficulty in working with new hardware with incomplete tools

5) Finally it seems EA's CEO at the time (if Patcher is to be believed) decided to do an exclusive with MS because he thought MS would kill Sony this round.

IMO TF is exactly what MS or Sony would hope for in terms of a third party title so soon after launch, its the type of game that will move hardware in the short run which potentially brings friends and family to the platform 6,12 and 24 months from now. Further it generates a consistent revenue stream from Gold subscriptions and perhaps more importantly it associates the platform with what is hot right now.

Add 60+ million ps3 customers on top of those ps4 numbers.

TF was originally meant to be a PC exclusive until MS convinced them otherwise.

That should be a long time before XB1.

"Originally we weren't planning on an Xbox One version of the game. I'm certain that having an Xbox One version has made our PC version much better - it justified the effort in moving to DX11 and even 64-bit," Baker says.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-tech-interview

Originally they had no plan for supporting DX11 or 64-bit either.

The original timed exclusivity deal predates the announcement of either console. It was after E3 and the backlash that MS went after the permanent exclusivity and EA squeezed as much money out of them they could to salvage what had turned into a strategic boondoggle.

I know that. At the end of the October Microsoft permanent Titanfall exclusivity. Before that respawn talks about porting Titanfall for PS4 at the end of time exclusivity deal. They had enough time for choosing the right option.

Well, take with a mountainous grain of salt, but I think Famousmortimer on GAF claimed Sony gave EA a recent presentation how much more Titanfall would have sold on PS3/PS4, and that it dwarfs what MS paid them. And that EA is in full "we're sorry Sony" mode.

I can't accept everything this guy says.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the most updated number, yeah. The initial figure was deemed too high by gaffers with access to NPD, who then provided a better approximation.
Could you provide a link, i tried searching about 35 pages of the gaf thread and couldn't find where the new number came from.

Thanks.

And that EA is in full "we're sorry Sony" mode.

Just a comment on this, why should EA be in full sorry mode? Wouldn't it be we are sorry EA that we cheated ourselves for money?

The good thing about all this must be that Respawn apparently didn't sell the "franchise" to EA but just the rights for the first game. And in some weird way they either screwed up and didn't cover their bases with the contract or they accepted a huge amount of money upfront because they didn't at any time indicate it was exclusive anything.

Or what is more likely, they actually missed out on a hefty sum of money.

It would take a Titanload of money to convince Respawn to stay anything like XBOX exclusive for the next round.

I doubt EA or Respawn needed a Sony presentation to allow they to understand how selling on another, more successful platform might have impact their profit margins.

Unlike Sony, they will actually know what they got from MS.

I can see respawn with its small team shooting for a PC exclusive title. An online only fps doesnt scream console. Considering the cost and other resources needed to support 4 consoles plus the PC, EA might of wanted a PC title first to guage viability. MS probably stepped in to cover development and marketing for a exclusive console port at a time when EA didnt know what to expect of TF.

EA is probably sorry it didnt give the title full AAA resources from the get go. But apologizing to Sony? For what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt EA would have floated the CoD4 guys over 3 years of financial support if they thought they were only getting a PC game.

60m must be a really high amount of money for a dev and even a publisher - not sure why you think this amount if money is low?

I can't believe that MS payed them something even close to 60m! Do we have any infos wrt exclusive deals? I much more believe that this deal was driven by the quite close EA and MS relationship and some additional agreements, because one could hardly come up with a realistic scenario where this exclusivity makes more money than it cost when comparing purely the game sales on its own.

It could also be that they knew that the development is struggling on a technology side and were worried that they can't finish the game in any reasonable time when PS3 and PS4 versions have to be developed as well...hence it could be that they were quite happy about the MS offer as they get some money and with this an 'excuse' to not invest time in other versions.

It seems to me that the game is not quite finished on a tech side, so they couldn't hold the release with even more different platform versions...

Its about offsetting cost, sure people find the game fun and are buying it. But there is never a guarantee that any game will make a profit.

So if MS basically paid for the development + the marketing cost of the game then anything on top of that is guaranteed profit. Worst case they have covered their cost and if EA/Redspawn has control over the ip for next titles, it might be a good deal for all parts involved.

For MS, profit alone isn't necessary. Titanfall was wanted to shift XB1's, and it seems to have done that. even if a loss-leader, it's probably still worth the investment.

Titan fall is a game that most xbox one users will get for the rest of the year , they have a season pass with 4 dlc add ons coming this year. So the game will stay fresh for most of it.

it's probably still worth the investment.
I wonder how its cost MS
~50 million for not being on ps4, though oddly still on the PC which is wierd
~100 million for giving away free copies
~50 million marketting/hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back