All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say if this is Sony not shipping enough or high demand. For that, Thursday's NPD will tell a lot.

500k PS4 260k XB1, we cannot blame Sony.

360k XB1, 300K PS4, we can...

I just had a quick glance at the Battlefield 4 statistics and have to admit, I am quite a bit surprised by the average numbers:

bf4_online_players_year.png

Accoarding to these, on average, PS3 leads the way (48.1k), ahead of PC (42.8k), PS4 (39.6k), X360 (37.9k) and XbOne (29.5k).

Seems there are more active users on PS4 playing BF4 than there are on the X360 [Jan-today]. Then again, perhaps on the X360, among the 80 million units sold, you have a wider spread of people playing other games as well, where as on PS4/XbOne, you are more limited to the available shooters that are out.

PS3 obviously leads the way, not surprising, probably due to free online multiplayer. That there are quite a lot of people (relatively speaking) playing online on the PS4 bodes well for Sony and their Plus subscription. I guess it was always going to be rather interesting how people would react to having to pay for online after being used to doing it for free back on the PS3.

It also seems the trend is continuing to grow slightly after a big hit after the holiday season, probably due to more people picking up next gen consoles and this game...

Hard to say if this is Sony not shipping enough or high demand. For that, Thursday's NPD will tell a lot.

500k PS4 260k XB1, we cannot blame Sony.

360k XB1, 300K PS4, we can...

So they just shut down production or they are just not shipping them? Other than banking a few 100k or so for Japan, I'm not sure why Jan would be much different in shipped numbers from Dec. Of course they are not going to sell as much, but they can still ship them.

400-500k PS4
200-250k XB1

Would be my guess.

DieH@rd, you can check the graphs above. They're an exact scrap of the bf4stats.com, logged in 5 minute intervals since beginning of January. It beats checking the site every now and then and is as accurate as one can get...

DieH@rd, you can check the graphs above. They're an exact scrap of the bf4stats.com, logged in 5 minute intervals since beginning of January. It beats checking the site every now and then and is as accurate as one can get...

it will be more useful if we can see that the ratio of PS4 players to XBO players in first week of Jan and in the last week of Jan and in the first week of Feb 2014.. I think it might give some indication on how the sales of hardware progressing.. Although by no means it will be scientific..

Current graph is too small and too overlapping to make any reasonable guesstimate

Although by no means it will be scientific..

Current graph is too small and too overlapping to make any reasonable guesstimate
The graph is excellent scientific data. There's a clear numbers advantage for PS4 vs. XB1. The interpretation of that is of course open, but there's no faulting Phil's work here in terms of method or validity.

So they just shut down production or they are just not shipping them? Other than banking a few 100k or so for Japan, I'm not sure why Jan would be much different in shipped numbers from Dec. Of course they are not going to sell as much, but they can still ship them.

400-500k PS4
200-250k XB1

Would be my guess.
~405k for PS4 and ~265k for X1 are my guesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The graph is excellent scientific data. There's a clear numbers advantage for PS4 vs. XB1. The interpretation of that is of course open, but there's no faulting Phil's work here in terms of method or validity.

I am not discrediting his work at all.. I am just saying that if we get average of the first week of jan like suppose it was 29k PS4 : 23k XBO and similarly we get average in first week of Feb like 31k PS4 : 26k XBO then we can see that XBO might be selling a bit better. or may be its other way..

So if he can give a bit of control to check result for particular day or week and compare them with other days and week we can get a better picture..

I really appreciate and commend his efforts..

You can see those 'averages' in the graph in though. PS4 - red line. XB1 - green line. PS4 is clearly above XB1 by 80% or whatever, and that's consistently - XB1 isn't crossing over PS4's line. Okay, there's no nice number, but the state of the difference is visually apparent. We can also see trends. BF4 players were high in the first week of of Jan, then dropped, and the then climbed back up by the last week. On XB1, initial players didn't drop as much from the first week but then didn't rise as steeply either; they were actually pretty stable with a 37k peak.

I might just add that while I can't change the numbers once they are averaged and saved in the resource database (e.g. I can't get hourly data from last month), I can plot the graph differently and/or focus on different segments of the data. Theoretically, I can also plot the graph exponentially to highlight smaller differences or filter out the devices that we're not interested in.

There are 4 resources that are being stored:

5 minute averages (kept for the last ~50 hours) for the dayly graph
30 minute averages (kept for the last ~14 days) for the weekly graphy
2 hour averages (kept for ~2 months) for the montly graph
24 hour averages (kept for ~10 years) for the yearly graph

In regards to first week of january vs. last week of january; I don't think it would say all that much though. As I earlier when I started tracking them, the graph is just a little bit of fun, because the numbers can be polled relatively easy and the effort to track the data is minimal. I wouldn't read too much into them, other than showing how many people play BF4. It's still interesting though, as we can extrapolate that as more people buy more next-gen consoles, the number will likely rise (although people playing at the beginning might move on to other games) and I guess because Xb-One and PS4 launched at the same time and both feature pay-to-play-online services, the difference in online number *might* hint to the respective difference in userbase/marketshare...

Since we are on the subject of usage statistics..

http://www.psu.com/a022457/SCEAs-John-Koller-reveals-stunning-PS4-statistics

Some #s from Sony on PS4 usage:

PS4 owners spend 34 hours per week out of a total of 50 playing the system
More than 90% of PS4s are connected to the internet, compared to just 70% of PS3s three years into its lifespan.
.......gamers have clocked up a stunning 172 million online hours since launch back in November.
...1.7 million hours have been livestreamed..
..share button itself has been used to for the capturing of images and video 48 million times.
..Sony‘s market share has increased amongst ‘heavy gamers,' with Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14 sitting pretty at the top of the list.

Is that trying to say that PS4 owners spend on average 34 hours per week gaming? I find that number hard to believe. If true, it speaks to just how hard core the early adopters really are. Still seems way too high for an average.

Is that trying to say that PS4 owners spend on average 34 hours per week gaming? I find that number hard to believe. If true, it speaks to just how hard core the early adopters really are. Still seems way too high for an average.

It's about 10 hours more than I spend gaming but I could see myself hitting that much in a game heavy week. The urge to do just one more mission in Warframe or collect that last trophy in AC4 is quite hard to resist.

I have found myself playing far more games this generation than last, primarily because of PS+, Resogun, and Don't Starve. I wouldn't consider myself all that hard core any more. Before the PS4 came out, I hadn't spent more than 2 hours gaming in a week for several months.

The availability of free, addictive games where "one more turn, then I'll quit" ends up being several hours really was clever on Sony's part. I actually compare it more to games like candy crush than the games I would normally associate with "hard core". They are easy for just about anyone to play, and they leave you with the desire to play just a few more turns. However, discussing that side of things is probably best left in the business thread.

I do believe early adopters in console space are the more dedicated gamers. I don't know that we can draw many conclusions from the one number.

34 hours sounds way to high. I wonder how they measure that, it probably includes time sitting idle at menus.

Digital TV probably skews the numbers, I don't know what the average number of hours spent watching TV a week but bw HULU and Netflix these numbers are going to factor in.

Do we know how CODGhosts sold on both nextgen systems? Which console got more sales? Which console has more users regulary playing MP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back