Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

Damn, you guys need to give my noob ass some tips or strategies or something, because I'm not advancing that quickly. LOL!

What???? You are kidding, right? How so? I wonder what gear they used... Or maybe a cookie cutter build -I prefer characters based on my play style so that's a no go for me-.

SpecwarGP2, in my case I am advancing "slowly" because like in Diablo 2 I like to discover the entire map and every single area, plus with personal life and work there are days when I feel tired and play half an hour at the most, not to mention that Twilight movies and the novel and related stuff are what occupy my days as of late, too.

But I am not in a hurry, this is a game I truly LOVE and I will eventually get out the most of it. I am not even counting the hours I played, Diablo is about both the casual and also the focused fun, depending on your mood.

What's the better area to make runs for stuff? Or is Magic Finding difficulty level based?

Regarding magic find, the way you get more of it is by leveling up. MF used to exist on gear which made some players feel like they needed to keep 2 sets of gear and also caused issues with MF leechers in pub games. So now MF is structured like a reward. You get more of it when you increase your paragon level. You get more of it when you have more players in a party and when you increase difficulty level. That's why experienced players try to level and gear up as quickly as possible to have a better chance at getting drops.

The design philosophy for D3 when it comes to game mechanics is to eliminate or reduce mechanics which hinder gameplay or arent meaningful or exist solely for the sake of existing. Thats why you don't get to distribute stat points for STR, DEX, INT, etc.. because players just put everything in main stat and vit, and whatever was needed to equip gear.

Rifts are the best place to find legendaries. There is a +100% bonus to magic find in a rift.

Damn, you guys need to give my noob ass some tips or strategies or something, because I'm not advancing that quickly. LOL!

Well if you want to level fast, the best way is to have a bunch of level 70s power level you through a rift.

If you're going solo, grinding COTA will level you pretty quick. If you can find a low level socketed helm and wep to insert at least a marquise ruby that will speed things up a lot.

Personally I wouldn't stress too much over levelling up fast. Most of you are new(ish) to the game, enjoy it. There are many of us spent literally played Diablo 2 for years.

On PC there are still items with Magic Find on them that you can get. Namely specific sets that give MF with enough of the set on. Also Nagelring gives a huge boost to Magic Find. Also the Topaz gem in the helmet slot gives Magic Find. Again this is on PC, no idea what Blizzard ended up doing on console.

Regarding magic find, the way you get more of it is by leveling up. MF used to exist on gear which made some players feel like they needed to keep 2 sets of gear and also caused issues with MF leechers in pub games. So now MF is structured like a reward. You get more of it when you increase your paragon level. You get more of it when you have more players in a party and when you increase difficulty level. That's why experienced players try to level and gear up as quickly as possible to have a better chance at getting drops.

The design philosophy for D3 when it comes to game mechanics is to eliminate or reduce mechanics which hinder gameplay or arent meaningful or exist solely for the sake of existing. Thats why you don't get to distribute stat points for STR, DEX, INT, etc.. because players just put everything in main stat and vit, and whatever was needed to equip gear.

Rifts are the best place to find legendaries. There is a +100% bonus to magic find in a rift.
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is a rift? Is it a specific area of the game?

Personally I wouldn't stress too much over levelling up fast. Most of you are new(ish) to the game, enjoy it. There are many of us spent literally played Diablo 2 for years.

On PC there are still items with Magic Find on them that you can get. Namely specific sets that give MF with enough of the set on. Also Nagelring gives a huge boost to Magic Find. Also the Topaz gem in the helmet slot gives Magic Find. Again this is on PC, no idea what Blizzard ended up doing on console.
Yup, same here, I never stopped playing Diablo 2 over the years, at least not totally. I will, with Diablo 3 now...

Nagelring existed in Diablo 2 too, and the topaz for magic find is a pretty nice strategy.

I think they removed Magic Find from items in Diablo 3 altogether, as I didn't find a single item with a Magic Find prefix of affix.

Still level 20 here, but I am thinking about creating a Demon Hunter, :smile: a female, so maybe I will restart again. I don't mind not levelling up fast, actually, as you say, I want to enjoy the whole game.

Just got to level 10 ... ! And unlocked the crafting bit.

Quite enjoying my Crusaders blind ability ... It regenerates very quickly so its extremely useful. Haven't even tested the next skill yet!

I have several legendaries that I received as a gift but need level 14 before I can use those ... I invited a friend over for Friday though who played a lot of Diablo 2 but hasn't played 3 yet, for some couch coop. Should be fun!

I think this game would be a lot of fun in co-op. Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one playing it on the Bone.

Rifts are available in adventure mode. Once you compete the game (any difficulty), you open up adventure mode which allows you to do bounties and rifts. Bounties are quick quests where you have to do a specific event or kill a specific unique. Each act has 5 randomized bounties when you start a new game. Once you complete the 5 bounties for an act, you complete the quest and you get rift shards and a chest of random treasure.

The other part is rifts which you open with the rift shards from bounties. This is a randomized dungeon with multiple areas and you keep killing mobs and rates until you kill enough to summon the rift boss. Kill him and he drops treasure and blood shards.also has a chance to drop a trial key which you can use to get access to greater rifts.

Greater rifts are generally the same but the difficulty is not tied to your specified difficulty level but rather how well you did in the trial. No mobs drop any treasure apart from the end boss. There is also a 15 minute time limit where if you don't kill enough mobs and kill the rift boss in time you can't advance to the next greater rift difficulty. Also legendary gems drop in greater rifts and can be upgraded at the end instead of proofreading to the next rift.

Blood shards from rifts can be used to generate random items from an NPC in town called kadala. You pick a type of item, for example chest armor, and she generates a random one with a small chance at a legendary or set item.

Malo and specwarGP2:
Thanks for explaining these terms regarding DIII. It's very helpful for us noobs, especially given that everyone who talks about RPGs seems to speak a weird language of abbreviations, slang, and obscure words. For example, what the hell is a "proc"?

For example, what the hell is a "proc"?

Proc is a particularly unhelpful programming term coined by gamers, it's short for 'process' but a proc is basically something (like a spell effect or event) that will occur when a certain percentage chance is met.

For example, you could have a sword with a fire/burning effect (causing extra damage) that 'procs' 5% of the time. So each time you swing and hit with that sword, there is a 5% chance extra fire damage will be done to the enemy. So when people talk about procs it's usually about the effect and the probability chance of it happening.

Learning EverQuest, both my first "real" RPG and MMO, was one hell of a learning curve because of the new jargon.

I've fallen in love with this game.

And in all likelihood I am going to skip Destiny for now as this game COTA reminds me of the Destiny beta. The game is just scratching whatever loot itch I have and I still haven't explored anything beyond DH and lower difficulty levels.

Rifts are available in adventure mode. Once you compete the game (any difficulty), you open up adventure mode which allows you to do bounties and rifts. Bounties are quick quests where you have to do a specific event or kill a specific unique. Each act has 5 randomized bounties when you start a new game. Once you complete the 5 bounties for an act, you complete the quest and you get rift shards and a chest of random treasure.

The other part is rifts which you open with the rift shards from bounties. This is a randomized dungeon with multiple areas and you keep killing mobs and rates until you kill enough to summon the rift boss. Kill him and he drops treasure and blood shards.also has a chance to drop a trial key which you can use to get access to greater rifts.

Greater rifts are generally the same but the difficulty is not tied to your specified difficulty level but rather how well you did in the trial. No mobs drop any treasure apart from the end boss. There is also a 15 minute time limit where if you don't kill enough mobs and kill the rift boss in time you can't advance to the next greater rift difficulty. Also legendary gems drop in greater rifts and can be upgraded at the end instead of proofreading to the next rift.

Blood shards from rifts can be used to generate random items from an NPC in town called kadala. You pick a type of item, for example chest armor, and she generates a random one with a small chance at a legendary or set item.
That's the most excellent explanation I could have ever hope for. Congratulations on your post.

I enjoyed it a lot and learnt by reading it, too. It is easy to understand with such an explanation. I kinda searched before but I dunno, Rifts remained not known to me til now.

Adventure mode, and my future Demon Hunter.... This is going to be so fun. Gotta restart the game with the Demon Hunter tho.

Correct, they are in the 2.1 update. I wasn't aware the console version was behind.
Yes, they are going to add it in the future for consoles too, as I mentioned linking to some news, days ago.

A review on Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition for consoles, where the reviewer say that the nature of Diablo makes this game much more enjoyable to be played on console.

I have the Xbox One version and I can attest! :cool:

http://mmgn.com/xboxone/diablo-3-ultimate-evil-edition-review

Proc is a particularly unhelpful programming term coined by gamers, it's short for 'process' but a proc is basically something (like a spell effect or event) that will occur when a certain percentage chance is met.

For example, you could have a sword with a fire/burning effect (causing extra damage) that 'procs' 5% of the time. So each time you swing and hit with that sword, there is a 5% chance extra fire damage will be done to the enemy. So when people talk about procs it's usually about the effect and the probability chance of it happening.

Learning EverQuest, both my first "real" RPG and MMO, was one hell of a learning curve because of the new jargon.

Dont forget about proc coefficients! Certain skills will proc an effect better due to having a better coefficient and this is done to balance skills.

If all skills had a proc coefficient of 1, then AOE skills and skills that scale with attack speed would be superior to all other skills.

There also seems to be some kind of increase in stats or chances for extra damage if you are making a kill combo, is that correct? With the Crusader I'm noticing some lightning bolt jumping from one foe to the next at times when I'm slaying a horde of zombies ...

Edit: ok got it. I was earning xp but it was too miniscule. Lter joined a game in act 3 and then I was levelling up fine. I don't understand the underlying systems of this game. Even when I was plsying act 2 in co op we were all above level 30 yet I was hardly getting any xp. Does that mean we will have to always play act 3 and 4 now that we are levelled up?

More xp for tougher/new enemies maybe? (like always basically) That's what I think at least. You also get bonuses if you're playing with a group. A bunch of xp+ bonuses on your items are probably quite helpful too.
I believe I was just below the Level 70 cap when I beat the Act 5 boss (solo/hard difficulty, i.e. third difficulty from the left) You level up like crazy in that game.

Back