Project Cars [PS4, XO]

cant say i agree, possibly because it didnt support steering wheels and that removes a lot of the enjoyment
thankfully project cars (to get back on topic) has no such limitation.
sorry to go back ot but its just hit me who is developing the next nfs game please let it not be the people who did rivals

The problem with sims that aren't GT/Forza is that the selection of cars is very limited and mostly high end exotics, sports or race cars. And none of the more everyday type cars that make sims so fun.

Sometimes preorders become active only shortly before game is out.

Game looks awesome. Shame Sony is still not talking about Logitech wheel support.

I think considering Logitech's dropped support for them, it's difficult to figure out what they can do, who to pay what, and what needs to be done (driver development).

I've got a Driving Force Pro and definitely want support for it as well, though it may be a while before I have a second PS4, which is basically necessary to be able to play this somewhere where I can comfortably use a wheel. So I do hope for really great controller support, which should at the very least include a lot of customisation options for the tilt features in the PS4 (with at the very, very least support for using it to look into turns, but I would also like it for using it as a virtual racing wheel - worked very well with Motorstorm 2 and would love to try it with a more serious racer).

Hope they get the tracks right - when I tried the closed beta - admittedly ages ago - their track surface detail was terrible/non-existent and trackside detail was disappointing.

Some of the lighting is really nice in that video. And yeah, it's supposed to be PS4. We'll see what the final game looks like, but certainly it should be possible to look this good on new-gen, considering how good games could already look on old-gen).

EDIT: according to the comments:

pCARS trailer for PS4, made and edited on PC, run on PC.

All footage was from PC, don't expect the same on consoles.

But we'll see. The show often becomes more interesting once the doors open and developers get to do their proper presentations (and the press is allowed to show the stuff they recorded three weeks ago at the press-pre-events)

You can never trust youtube comments. But this time I think I'll agree.

Judging by earlier PC vs PS4 comparisons, the PS4 version seems to be running mostly high settings (there's an ultra setting). If the PS4 version looks anywhere near the quality of the trailer, I'll be happy.

I saw Project Cars today at e3 in the Playstation area, I dunno it only looked "ok". There was definite screen tearing, heavy aliasing and it was a relatively barren looking track. Forza Horizon and Driveclub definitely looked better albeit it at half the frame rate. Maybe the endless hype got to me, I don't know, I was definitely expecting it to look much better than it did.

I saw Project Cars today at e3 in the Playstation area, I dunno it only looked "ok". There was definite screen tearing, heavy aliasing and it was a relatively barren looking track. Forza Horizon and Driveclub definitely looked better albeit it at half the frame rate. Maybe the endless hype got to me, I don't know, I was definitely expecting it to look much better than it did.

That does sound more in line of what I've seen from the beta - people are making much prettier videos of this game than I've seen the game actually look in person. And I haven't been convinced about the driving yet either, though considering the people behind it, I have hope that turns out ok.

I think considering Logitech's dropped support for them, it's difficult to figure out what they can do, who to pay what, and what needs to be done (driver development). I've got a Driving Force Pro and definitely want support for it as well, though it may be a while before I have a second PS4,
https://twitter.com/LogitechG/statuses/496042493155094528
Harry Chalcraft ‏@djhazardous
@WMDCars @realandytudor @LogitechG Will we hear anything about Logitech wheel support for the PS4 version of Project CARS before release?

Logitech G ‏@LogitechG
@djhazardous @WMDCars @realandytudor G27 requires a security chip for full functionality w/ PS4, and it does not have this chip. Sorry :(

No idea what is this security chip and if comment is actually valid. Time will tell but this entire nextgen console racing wheel issue has been a bumpy ride.

No idea what is this security chip and if comment is actually valid. Time will tell but this entire nextgen console racing wheel issue has been a bumpy ride.
Further evidence for a Southbridge-bound TrustZone implementation in PS4 that will not permit just any old USB device to connected and work.

Colour me unsurprised.

noooooooo :(

This is quite a disappointment. My G25 is pretty much useless now as I bought for my consoles and I dont see me going back to older consoles

noooooooo :(

This is quite a disappointment. My G25 is pretty much useless now as I bought for my consoles and I dont see me going back to older consoles
If they have deployed a TrustZone implementation that requires some form of security chip (likely another TrustZone chip with a specific key), they could allow exceptions and write a profile for specific legacy devices.

Further evidence for a Southbridge-bound TrustZone implementation in PS4 that will not permit just any old USB device to connected and work.

Colour me unsurprised.

Any old USB keyboard and mouse will connect, be recognized by the OS and work (for the keyboard at least) just fine. That said, he specifically mentioned that a security chip was required for full functionality. That may be more related to it being a controller input than a USB device. This is all wild speculation, of course. But given what we know about the current behavior of USB devices when connected, we can make some guesses. I think I'll try one of my Hori arcade sticks when I get home to see what happens.

Any old USB keyboard and mouse will connect, be recognized by the OS and work (for the keyboard at least) just fine.
That's because there are USB HID classes for keyboards and mice which limit data (and data rates) which affords some protection to the host device.

I genuinely don't know how Wheel devices work but they look to operate outside the strict HID class for controllers which may mean the host device opening up and trusting the controller device. Given Sony have been burnt with USB-based exploits on PS3 I count they are keen to rush to that place.

Maybe this could be solved with some kind of adapter/USB hub that has a chip ? There might be someone in China working on it...

Not if Sony have employed end-to-end encrypted communication with USB devices to ensure only authorised peripherals are connected. The only way for this to work would be a licensed security chip from Sony with the appropriate keys and they're not going to licence that to a Chinese USB hub manufacturer ;-)

Back