Project Cars [PS4, XO]

In what is rapidly becoming monkey f*** ridiculous, Slightly Mad Studios have announced a third delay until Mid-May.

“Despite our long heritage and pedigree in making critically-acclaimed racing games, Project CARS is by far the grandest and most intricately detailed of them all. Despite therefore the game being 99.9% complete, the remaining 0.1% attending to small issues and bugs has been tricky to anticipate. We’re absolutely dedicated to delivering a ground-breaking experience and by targeting mid-May fans can be assured that’s what they’ll receive” said Ian Bell, Head of Studioat Slightly Mad Studios.

“Again, we want to thank our fans for their support and patience on this matter. There’s a high expectancy from racing fans around the world that Project CARS is going to be an exciting new contender in the simulation racing space and we firmly believe gamers deserve it to be in its most complete and polished state when they come to play it on day one. And since the gaming community is our primary focus and has always been at the heart of the project during development, we would like to offer some free content to all players as compensation for this short delay and as acknowledgement of how grateful we are.

This gift, that we’re sure is going to excite fans, will be available from day one and revealed shortly. Keep an eye on our website for more info.

They should just be careful with announcing delays too soon after the previous one. Best to announce a bigger delay, and if you find you are done sooner after all, people will be pleasantly surprised instead.

It is a good thing that I paid to be an investor quite a while back, and after 200 hours of playing I am quite satisfied with the game. It is a great sim that just needs to be finished, and when it is out, all will be well.

Sure, they could have handled this better. Public would more easily accept a single 6 month delay.

The T300 is a bit too much for my liking
There is a T80 for about £65 (ps3/ps4)
No force feedback though
You'd think these consoles would maintain compatibility with peripherals from the previous console.

ps: Is wheel support in the o/s like the p.c or is the code to support a wheel within the game ?

Last edited:
@djskribbles
If you also race on a p.c why not spend the extra and get an even better wheel ? (console's appear to me to not support wheels that worked with the previous one)
A good wheel will last a decade or more (speaking from experience) and if you race a lot it offers great bang per buck
many people spend that kind of money on a gpu that they will replace after 2 years

I hate the thought of not being able to race with a FF wheel so much that I own 4 of them.

Last edited:
I haven't made a gaming PC in nearly a decade.. I just prefer console gaming now for some reason. I could throw a half decent gpu in my current desktop but I don't want to place my tower in my home theatre area. I have a HTPC in my home theatre but it's not really gaming capable... I would need to buy a new motherboard, gpu and cpu (or at least a new cpu and gpu), but I'd rather not beef up my HTPC.

Concerns of future compatibility is one reason that's stopping me from investing in a better wheel. Plus I was happy with the DFGT and the T100 seems like a pretty good option.

But yes, it would be nice if they could make wheels that were cross compatible and future compatible because they're not cheap.

I haven't made a gaming PC in nearly a decade.. I just prefer console gaming now for some reason. I could throw a half decent gpu in my current desktop but I don't want to place my tower in my home theatre area. I have a HTPC in my home theatre but it's not really gaming capable... I would need to buy a new motherboard, gpu and cpu (or at least a new cpu and gpu), but I'd rather not beef up my HTPC.

That sounds like the perfect candidate for streaming through Steam.

That sounds like the perfect candidate for streaming through Steam.
Indeed. My HTPC is an A6-3850 AMD processor and nothing else. Alien Isolation streamed from my PC to my HTPC on the big new TV is incredible.

XBO video footage - apparently near final. The site claims - 1080p60, but I'm still unsure if that is native resolution.

Having looked at this, it provides some good guidance on how much further 1080/60(assume) can go wrt XBO. It's quite an improvement over F5 graphically (lighting/shadow wise) - it's clear it's mainly only applied to the cars and not much elsewhere. Between this an F6 will be a toss up for me, I'll have to speak with my friends on which game they want to go with.

edit: though I have expectations that F6 will be a visible improvement over Project Cars.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine it won't be 60fps to be honest, with Forza 5 managing 1080p @60 at launch.

It's hard to imagine it won't be 60fps to be honest, with Forza 5 managing 1080p @60 at launch.
They will definitely need to hold that 60fps for a simulation. 1080 will be reduced at shipping if they can't make it meet its target. But I think, that yes, if F5 could do it with - Direct X11, not even DX11-Fast Semantics, then I do agree there should be more room to breathe. Especially with the latest esram tools.

XBO video footage - apparently near final. The site claims - 1080p60, but I'm still unsure if that is native resolution.

Having looked at this, it provides some good guidance on how much further 1080/60(assume) can go wrt XBO. It's quite an improvement over F5 graphically (lighting/shadow wise) - it's clear it's mainly only applied to the cars and not much elsewhere. Between this an F6 will be a toss up for me, I'll have to speak with my friends on which game they want to go with.

edit: though I have expectations that F6 will be a visible improvement over Project Cars.
I don't see anything there that isn't doable at 60 fps, save the weather. Perhaps the replays run at 30 fps. I also wish Forza 6 is better, but the lighting of Project Cars under some conditions is difficult to achieve --I do remember how many discussions I had about that in the Gran Turismo 4 era, those were the days... :)

What I expect from Forza is the same good game as usual, with some improvements, because lately with Forza I can't help it but feel this sensation of deja vu.

I don't see anything there that isn't doable at 60 fps, save the weather. Perhaps the replays run at 30 fps. I also wish Forza 6 is better, but the lighting of Project Cars under some conditions is difficult to achieve --I do remember how many discussions I had about that in the Gran Turismo 4 era, those were the days... :)

What I expect from Forza is the same good game as usual, with some improvements, because lately with Forza I can't help it but feel this sensation of deja vu.

They've already delayed the game twice now, they have to ship a product eventually. Doable is something I just no longer bother discussing, I guess with enough time and patience and writing out perfectly optimized code sure a lot of things become doable. But that just isn't reality unfortunately. Forza 6 will do well because it is an exclusive they can write code that work specifically for Xbox, that is an advantage that P.C does not have.

Back