Project Cars [PS4, XO]

Wow, those really are some stunning shots! Can't wait to see what the PC version looks like if PS4 looks this good.

Looks good, but Shift had awful car handling, Shift 2 had awful car handling, and Test Drive Ferrari had awful car handling.

Not really expecting much from this, but hope to be wrong.

They should turn off DOF in-game if that second shot is supposed to be in-game.

You mean for this cockpit view, submerged into DOF?

ProjectCARS_PS4-4-wm.png

I wonder: maybe they use DOF here to hide the visible aliasing? Either they don't use any AA or they use an ineffective solution, like 2xMSAA.

Or maybe it's a photo mode where you can take photos of the wheel & driver's hands from the eyes of the driver, hence creating a DOF effect on the background?

That would be a really neat feature.

Looks good, but Shift had awful car handling, Shift 2 had awful car handling, and Test Drive Ferrari had awful car handling.

Not really expecting much from this, but hope to be wrong.
Damn I forgot SMS were the ones that made the Shift games. Agreed, those games had terrible handling/physics. I mistook them for Simbin (which SMS claim that their staff consists of many former Simbin programmers). I guess I'll wait for reviews.

Physics are much much better especially now that the production is nearing its end, even though they did not finish tweaking many cars.

Here's the professional driver Rene Rast who managed to achieve minimally better lap on pCARS day after his race in ADAC GT Master series in which he is currently tied for 1st position. Same car, same track, same weather, same car setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCU0z25Gzto

Yeah, judging by the videos I've seen, it looks much better than the Shift games. Maybe with Shift, SMS wanted to stay true to the series by making it more arcadey.

I'm 90% sure I'll be buying this. Need something to hold me over until GT7.

They need to release the darned game already, it's starting to feel like Duke Nukem.

It may only feel that way to those who did not back the game. Development process of this game was incredible, constant updates, devs who are responsive to the player input, constant open communication path to their community via their excellent forums [community that did not leak 99% of the internal dev talk, alpha videos/images, roadmaps, etc]. I witnessed development of the game from the build 200 to the current build 719, and the game went through so much.

For us who were investors to the game, we got incredible ride through development of excellent driving simulator.

It may only feel that way to those who did not back the game. Development process of this game was incredible, constant updates, devs who are responsive to the player input, constant open communication path to their community via their excellent forums [community that did not leak 99% of the internal dev talk, alpha videos/images, roadmaps, etc]. I witnessed development of the game from the build 200 to the current build 719, and the game went through so much.

For us who were investors to the game, we got incredible ride through development of excellent driving simulator.

Yeah I wasn't an investor. It just seems like screenshots have been leaking since I was in the 10th grade. Ok maybe not that long, but it does feel like an eternity. I'll buy it anyways as I'm basically bored of every other franchise driver out there that's already been through a billion iterations, so Project Cars will be something fresh for me.

...I'm basically bored of every other franchise driver out there that's already been through a billion iterations, so Project Cars will be something fresh for me.
If the racers all look the same (realistic) and play the same (realistic), what is there any new franchise can bring?

If the racers all look the same (realistic) and play the same (realistic), what is there any new franchise can bring?

Fortunately that's not something I need to worry about anymore, it's up to the lazy devs to figure that out :)

Games do tend to have a unique feel to them though which is why two shooters that look alike can be rated totally differently, so maybe the Project Cars dudes can supply a unique experience, something that feels and plays differently, feels new and fresh. I don't particularly find any racing game out there "realistic" really, they all feel like video racing games to me so I think there's always room to try something new in how a game feels and plays. Plus I tend to get bored of most games by the 3rd rev because they start to feel all the same, a been there done that situation. It's why I never played the last Halo, didn't touch the last COD, found the last GOW boring, skipped the last Uncharted, didn't play the last Gears, etc, and likewise when I had seen the current Forza at last years e3 I mostly just let out a yawn. Even the latest Grid game bored me after a while, only played it for 2 hours and was done, all currently racing franchises to me are just old hat now, been there done that. I need something new and fresh! The last time I had an amazing time playing a racing game was with Blur on the 360 many years ago, I've been hoping for another racing game to come along and bring that level of excitement back. Hasn't happened in ages, maybe Project Cars can breathe new life into the genre, for me anyways. I assume it'll be at this years e3, I'll check it out there.

Or maybe I'm just totally bored of the racing game genre...

As far as I can see, Project Cars, Forza and GT are pretty interchangeable. I suppose GT's flavour was its take on racers, that shunned qualifying and always put you at the back, and allowed you to enter supercharged cars to completely overpower the opposition. In that respect, Project Cars (or any other new racer) could offer a more authentic experience.

Split second/velocity came out at the same time and was much better imho

I tried those but didn't like them much. To be fair I played Blur almost 100% online only which is probably why I found it better than any other racing game to date, because playing Blue online was a riot.

As far as I can see, Project Cars, Forza and GT are pretty interchangeable. I suppose GT's flavour was its take on racers, that shunned qualifying and always put you at the back, and allowed you to enter supercharged cars to completely overpower the opposition. In that respect, Project Cars (or any other new racer) could offer a more authentic experience.

Not to me they aren't, and would like to add that each game is unique to at least one platform.

Another vid from Rene Rast, epic save toward the end of the lap. He is using single 780Ti to power 3 27" monitors, so visuals are not maxed.

Back