News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That has to be accounted for, because the console hasn't been released in quite a few countries yet.

Still, pretty much like the PS3 and the Wii during the last generation -X360 did great-, it seems to me that the Xbox One is the ugly duckling of this generation.

It is going to be a long generation for Xbox.

Ugly Duckling moreso than Wii U???

At least in sales. I'd agree Wii U has a lot more online positivity these days.

Ugly Duckling moreso than Wii U???

At least in sales. I'd agree Wii U has a lot more online positivity these days.
Yes, that's what I am talking about, positivity towards WiiU. Sales wise the battle is going to be between WiiU and Xbox One for the 2nd place.

I'd only buy a WiiU if F-Zero comes out for it. I've never been into Mario or Nintendo that much.

Oblivion was a POS. So buggy, I had to to quit playing due to a game ending bug with the last gate. Not that it was much fun before that, the mechanics were were also seriously bugged. I think I had 100% invisibility near the end. I'll take Second Son, Watch_dogs or ACIV over another Oblivion/Skyrim bug fest.
Did you play it on the X360? It was very smooth for me, I didn't experience major bugs on Oblivion. In fact, I had more trouble with the console itself 'cos of some internal design flaws related to the DVD drive -no RRoD for me-.

True, there was plenty to admire about the 360 it its first few months even by top end PC owners (although we did have an even better version of Oblivion if you had the power to run it). Unfortunately I doubt there are very many PC gamers at all these days who are envious of the XB1's specs. Kinect 2 might have been cause for envy if MS hadn't effectively abandonded it a few months ago.
What was really interesting and fancy was having back then, 9 years ago, a 6 core CPU and the first unified shaders GPU.

That was a crazy setup for the time. :cool: I'd like to see another console like that some day in the future.

Moreso, I'd love to see another Neo Geo :smile2: like console, a console being the Rolls Royce of the electronic devices once again --including PC and so on. :smile2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I doubt there are very many PC gamers at all these days who are envious of the XB1's specs.
As a PC gamer this is a non-consideration; the delta between XB One and PS 4 amounts to less than 6 CU's of graphical processing delta, between the PS4 and my PC there is 70 CU's delta (plus 20% clocks). For probably any PC gamer that has spent ~$200 or above on a GPU in the last two years won't be looking at either of them in terms of graphical performance, if they are looking to buy a console as well then it comes down to titles and experience.

As a PC gamer this is a non-consideration; the delta between XB One and PS 4 amounts to less than 6 CU's of graphical processing delta, between the PS4 and my PC there is 70 CU's delta (plus 20% clocks). For probably any PC gamer that has spent ~$200 or above on a GPU in the last two years won't be looking at either of them in terms of graphical performance, if they are looking to buy a console as well then it comes down to titles and experience.
I do wonder if we will ever see a console like the Neo Geo or the Xbox 360 (PS3 was nice too, but not as impressive one year later as the X360 was at launch) and all the things they represented back in the day.

Did you play it on the X360? It was very smooth for me, I didn't experience major bugs on Oblivion. In fact, I had more trouble with the console itself 'cos of some internal design flaws related to the DVD drive -no RRoD for me-.

Yes, it was before the PS3 ever came out. It was not a console thing, it was just buggy, it might have got patched later.

And now with a new console generation to feed them the games, they might have something useful for all that cu power.

And now with a new console generation to feed them the games, they might have something useful for all that cu power.
Well, that's another delta between this and the last gen - given the prevalence of DX11 hardware already in the PC TAM the PC is feeding these next gen consoles rather than the other way around, for many multiplatform titles, with higher quality settings available in many cases as well.

Additionally, I've been running 1600p on the PC even before the last generation of consoles were available and with 28" 4K 60Hz SST panels being as cheap as $600 there's finally viable options to upgrade. With higher quality options in game, additional AA/AF modes, higher resolutions and Eyefinity type setups there's no shortage of GPU sucking eye candy options out there.

Not sure if anyone has tried it, but MS have now released an "Update Preview" app for those that are doing the OS/Dashboard beta tests. Gives details for current and upcoming releases, has survey feedback built in and "tasks" to complete and give feedback - no achievements on the tasks, yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that happen in the future.

Task for the last update where TV/one Guide related (didn't complete as I don't use it) and also the new achievements app for snap controls. For anyone that tracks achievements, IMO, the new snap view is just awesome; I've not used snap pretty much at all for other apps (other than to try) but it makes so much more sense with Achievements, especially now they track progress for an achievement well.

Should be another preview update released soon as well.

[edit] 1408 preview started rolling out. Apparently one of the features is remote wake up for download for apps purchased via xbox.com or on SmartGlass (if the console is configured with instant on).

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-one-1408-update-preview-starts-new-features

Microsoft is doing an amazing job of iterating the OS. Very happy with how well things have progressed. They were missing some stuff at launch that really shouldn't have been missing, but they seem to have fixed all those key points and added some very nice features on top.

Major Nelson details the full update:

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).

Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.

Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.

Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.

Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.

Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.

OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.

Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”

Thanks goodness! Finally Blu-Ray 3D, I am recovering my faith in *humanity*. I just hope that this opens the door to actual stereoscopic 3D on the console.

Afaik the PS4 doesnt support BR 3D? Good we have Microsoft to keep Sony honest.. or whatever its called.

Afaik the PS4 doesnt support BR 3D? Good we have Microsoft to keep Sony honest.. or whatever its called.
Actually, news like this and the new Doom 4 helps a little to bring back the hope and enthusiasm I felt for this new generation 2 years ago, which I thought I had begun to lose.

Actually, news like this and the new Doom 4 helps a little to bring back the hope and enthusiasm I felt for this new generation 2 years ago, which I thought I had begun to lose.

These products are not even a year old. Can you remember the OS and services that X360 and PS3 launched with, and how much better they were each and every year? Can you remember the change in the quality of the games over that time? People are way too knee-jerk negative over product launches. They should know better from previous launches.

These products are not even a year old. Can you remember the OS and services that X360 and PS3 launched with, and how much better they were each and every year? Can you remember the change in the quality of the games over that time? People are way too knee-jerk negative over product launches. They should know better from previous launches.
Food for thought... Maybe getting involved with this new generation is easier, unlike the previous one, as we had much more information than in 2005 and then the controversy did the rest... All the bets I made were wrong, and fought hard the predictable outcome but it was a learning experience.

I expect the next Xbox to be called Wild. :smile2: I want something wild.

Food for thought... Maybe getting involved with this new generation is easier, unlike the previous one, as we had much more information than in 2005 and then the controversy did the rest... All the bets I made were wrong, and fought hard the predictable outcome but it was a learning experience.

I expect the next Xbox to be called Wild. :smile2: I want something wild.

I don't even understand this post or what it has to do with what I wrote.

Anyone that's familiar with the history of ps360 should know the products and games are going to change a ton over the coming years, so getting worked up about their failures less than a year in is stupid. That goes for both X1 and ps4.

The community feedback based monthly updates is probably the highlight of XB1.

I've sort of fallen out of gaming with other hobbies taking over so I don't play much. However, I do enjoy checking out the new features as they are released.

Happy they closed down Xbox entertainment unit. They should probably consider a hardware refresh mid cycle with additional power. Would they be the first do try such?

Posting text to your feed, now that's an option I would like to see as well on other platforms. I've wanted that ever since the Vita launched with activity feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back