News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, 50/50 would be absurd.
If 12Gb is true, MS has a chance of once again almost doubling RAM size (if PS4s 4.5Gb+ is true).

Why not 9/3gb os?
Maximum 8/4gb os

anything else would be.. stupid and overkill for an OS in a console enviroment..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well remember there is reserved space for having another app tombstoned in ram. So you'd have 3 gigs but 1 or 1.5gb is saved for apps.

A 7/5 would make a bit of sense. You'd have a sizable amount of ram lead over the competition for games but you'd also have enough to expand the os and have a few apps in ram .

Is this old?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live#features

WqjA3wj.jpg

Those that doesn't really play online are getting a raw deal.

At this point everybody should just assume everything on XBL is behind gold and stop whining about it.

It feels so manufactured, like every couple days we need a new (old, because this is of course old news) thing to bash MS with.

I eagerly await next week's thread about how app xyz that I've never heard of is behind gold and how it's an outrage.

With so many apps, it's a gold mine of threads to string out over the weeks and months!

I knew as soon as Sony put MP behind a paywall though, the focus would immediately shift to whatever differences exist (and no two services are ever likely to be 100% the same, so there are always differences).

I think MS could use to free up more/all entertainment apps (wait, weren't apps supposed to be bad and consoles supposed to be only about gaming anyway? i get different weeks talking points memos confused). It would seem like a better strategy indeed. But that's just imo.

They may see a greater uptake on Gold subs this way.

But people buying a $499 console should not be to worried about this. I just picked up a year of gold for $35 which is about a typical price. Though I do agree "joe public" probably doesn't seek out sales.

Came out today.

I thought I read a random GAF comment that this was known since E3. Which was the basis of my old news comment. I dont pay attention and it doesn't effect me since I always have Gold.

I guess in place of the old reoccurring "why does M$ charge me for free online!?" threads now we are going to get endless reoccurring "Why does M$ charge me for app X" threads now. For obvious reasons.

I thought I read a random GAF comment that this was known since E3. Which was the basis of my old news comment. I dont pay attention and it doesn't effect me since I always have Gold.

That image was new today. As far as the news? I don't remember seeing it at E3. The OneHitPixel.com article got confirmation from Microsoft today that GameDVR requires Gold. I agree it was expected. I also agree with your sentiments above. Little tiresome.

Tommy McClain

I guess in place of the old reoccurring "why does M$ charge me for free online!?" threads now we are going to get endless reoccurring "Why does M$ charge me for app X" threads now. For obvious reasons.

I personally had no idea that the Internet Browser would or did require Gold.

Microsoft could have chosen to balance their basic package so that the less hardcore users/players would have a great basic value that let them do everything but gaming related online stuff.

Now we are buying a box that costs $500 and does pretty much nothing of the highlighted features. Well my first edition edition might include everything for a year :)

Microsoft could have chosen to balance their basic package so that the less hardcore users/players would have a great basic value that let them do everything but gaming related online stuff.

Now we are buying a box that costs $500 and does pretty much nothing of the highlighted features. Well my first edition edition might include everything for a year :)

No it doesn't. IMO they should have included a free year of Gold, but they dont. Typical of these big corps to not give anything of value free.

I think it's a legit argument that MS should break out more apps from the paywell, but at this point it's kinda tiresome.

Like I say, the flipside forum warriors will never see is greater gold sub rates. Gold was subbed much more than PS+ because of online behind the wall. Some incremental people may sub to gold for things like netflix too that otherwise wouldn't (though it'd be much more subtle an effect than MP I am sure)

The point is the more you put behind a paywall the more will cross it.

It has since it was released last October. Actually can't think of an app other than Xbox Video that doesn't require Gold.

It amazes me that so many of the people that are able to afford & buy a console as expensive as the Xbox 360 & Xbox One scoff at the idea of paying a measly $60 a year for the service. Me on the other hand I barely afforded my system, but I will always try to save some money to get my Gold subscription. I find a lot of value in it. I may not spend $60 upfront to get 12 months, but I will look for deals or go for 3-month or 1-month subscriptions. Just whatever I can afford at the time.

Tommy McClain

Yeah you shouldn't ever pay 60 if money is tight. Recently for example a deal was posted on Neogaf, newegg via ebay, a year for 34.99. I got two and gave one to my sister. Two years for $70, almost the normal price of one year. I could have loaded up for 5 years I suppose for that matter and locked in a price.

Plus via newegg I didn't pay tax, just an extra bonus.

You probably already know all that, but it seems 35-40 is about right for a decent sale price. I believe I've seen a guy bragging about getting it for 25.

The bad thing about the increase from 50 to 60 a couple years ago was in turn the sales got a little more expensive. You used to get crazy deals on Gold when it was cheaper.

The negative side is you dont necessarily get to buy exactly when you want/need. Instead just snag a sale when you see it, or when you're a few months from running out start to be on the lookout.

I wonder if PS+ will have these same type of sales?

Here's some official MS marketing videos posted on GAF of the accessories, controller, headset and play n charge, kinda interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnxeebvLic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAnxRyZdzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvNEPPDOnw

The controller should be a real thing of beauty. The 360 controller is already amazing and now it gets even better, and they kept the basics that make it great. It's weird how the little controller tweaks to both XBO and Dual shock are one of the things that got me most excited about next gen.

The headset also looks nicer. It has a little cheap padding and the volume controls seem better at the base.

The accessories increased a few bucks, but inflation I guess.

It has since it was released last October. Actually can't think of an app other than Xbox Video that doesn't require Gold.

It amazes me that so many of the people that are able to afford & buy a console as expensive as the Xbox 360 & Xbox One scoff at the idea of paying a measly $60 a year for the service. Me on the other hand I barely afforded my system, but I will always try to save some money to get my Gold subscription. I find a lot of value in it. I may not spend $60 upfront to get 12 months, but I will look for deals or go for 3-month or 1-month subscriptions. Just whatever I can afford at the time.

Tommy McClain

It amazes me that it can amaze people that paying for something not all consider amazing can be a problem :)

I don't think that $60 is a lot in the next gen, considering that the nearest competitor does the same, i think it was a issue for Microsoft with the 360.

The new challenge for Gold (imho) is that if a XB1 owner (me for example) already have devices/services etc that fulfill many of those included with Gold, it can seem expensive because the services that is left on the list isn't really amazing :)

And lets not forget that $60 might not be a lot of money, but if you already pay for other subscriptions, it adds up.

It amazes me that it can amaze people that paying for something not all consider amazing can be a problem :)

I don't think that $60 is a lot in the next gen, considering that the nearest competitor does the same, i think it was a issue for Microsoft with the 360.

The new challenge for Gold (imho) is that if a XB1 owner (me for example) already have devices/services etc that fulfill many of those included with Gold, it can seem expensive because the services that is left on the list isn't really amazing :)

And lets not forget that $60 might not be a lot of money, but if you already pay for other subscriptions, it adds up.

Dont pay $60! :p Keep an eye on these forum and pay less! http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/10-video-game-deals/

I dunno, I just googled Xbox Gold deal and it seems like it's $45 at Amazon and newegg, I guess all the time? personally I'd use newegg and save sales tax. On sale shoot for $35-40.

But my main comment here was people dont really seem to consider the online fee part of the price. The proof of this was the accolades PS4 received at E3 for a $399 price tag, despite instituting a new $50 year fee for any serious owner that will more than add up to $100 over 5-7 years, that did not used to exist on PS3.

People talked a lot about the former (399) but very little about the later.

Batteries NOT included with the XBOX One Controllers:

It does include two AA duracells actually...

While 60 bucks is a fair deal for what you get, its the initial purchase of everything that takes its toll. 500 for system, 60 for Live and 60 for a game puts you in the 700 buck range after taxes. Buy 2 games and charge kit your looking close too 800.

I know new tech is always expensive but damn Lol.

Ryan Mcaffrey IGn Xbox editor hints at something on twitter

Ryan McCaffrey ‏@DMC_Ryan

Good news coming at 6am PDT/9am EDT tomorrow on @IGN. That's all I'll say.

He clarified he means Thurs morning.

Now it may not even be Xbox related but since he is the Xbox editor I assume so. But best not to get hopes up (he also said it's not a megaton)

Maybe ign has the exclusive streaming rights for GamesCom ms keynote..

Later he said something like "it's no megaton but I fail to see how it wont make people happy". dont see how your suggestion fits.

It could in my wildest dreams even be 12GB confirmation. A lay journalist would probably see that about like they saw GPU bump, a curiosity rather than a megaton. Most of those people are from the "I only care about games not dumb old irrelevant specs" camp.

but i'm sure i'm hyping it too much. 99 times out of 100 that's how these reveals go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back