B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

While the engine analysis based on like-for-like footage suggests an advantage to the Xbox 360 version of Crysis 2, as we can see in these extensive tests, performance can be very, very variable and the small variations in frame-rate we see previously give way to some much bigger differences, depending on the level of action on-screen. The unavoidable conclusion we came to is that when frame-rate does crash in those affected areas, it's actually Crysis 2 on PS3 that holds up better.

That interesting, i wonder why this is the case...

Skipped through some of the framerate comparison vid and it seems to average out at about 20fps in firefights involving more than a couple enemies, which was certainly my impression of the game also. Glad to see i wasnt being unfair and exaggerating my impressions ;). I wonder if some of the difference in how people percieve the framerate issues is dependent on how they are playing the game, using stealth a lot would improve your impressions on the subject quite a lot i would imagine. For me pretty much every encounter is a big hit to fps, but depending on playstyle id imagine some will only encounter issues in encounters that force you to go head-on like the section in the
guys lab where enemie absail in from the roof and the helicopter ends up smashing through the window
which was almost unplayable for me (havent actually played any further than that section yet it left such a bad taste!) .

One thing i havent seen mentioned is scenery pop-in. There has been a couple of times where ive been shooting a guy dead on with no effect, only for scenery to pop in and realise he was hiding behind cover the whole time! Anyone else get this (im on ps3)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary:

Resolution- the X version is closer to 720p :p , the PS3 version is missing more pixels ( why is missing PS3 version more pix. ? i think because of to much GPU task which kills RSX performance ... DOF,BLUR,OCCLUSION all this stuf is running on GPU (RSX) and not SPE like we see from first party teams or few 3d party like fenomenal motion blur in SWU2 ... the res. was cutted because of missing 4ms or needed)
Framerate- average FPS is better on X version and in cut scenes, PS3 is better in the worse part when you play like a RAMBO :smile: ( The framerate is one of the worst (if not the worst) in FPS genre/industry and sub 20 FPS is not acceptable.. this is fact)
Lighting- the second game on market with realtime GI..the X version is missing few GI lights.. perfomance issue?bug? but on all platforms on par
AA solution- its not the best solution .. on all platforms we see ghosting (Halo effect), the worse part is BLUR which add to image...
Shadows- all realtime on all platforms.. the X version had lower resolution for shadows? not so blocky on PS3..
LOD- one of the worst in HD gen.. popping geometry,shadows,objects few meters from player. The PS3 version- more aggressive LOD for Shadows which kills IQ while moving and is sometime tricky ;)
IQ- The X version is missing much higher AF (up to 4x) ... the PS3 version up to 16x.. The PS3 version have another problem with Decals which are flickering/glitchi

The framerate is much better in the latter levels (PS3 version at least). In the beginning, it's very inconsistent and is sub 30 most of the time and sub 25 in many spots. But the only levels I had issues with, were the earlier ones (the second one to be specific). There was one time I had the framerate go to "unplayable" levels (for a few seconds) and that was because I was in the middle of a huge fire fight on the second level (I think). Later on, it's actually pretty good.

Yep fps is not so bad and far from " worst in fps genre and not acceptable" you can comfortably beat whole game without major complain.

Well, I dunno about the worst, but many of the earlier levels are the worst that I've played. Fortunately it's been pretty smooth after about 2-3 hours in.

One thing i havent seen mentioned is scenery pop-in. There has been a couple of times where ive been shooting a guy dead on with no effect, only for scenery to pop in and realise he was hiding behind cover the whole time! Anyone else get this (im on ps3)?

I've had an enemy pop in and out of view. He was standing at a very large distance, with the zoom on the visor I could see him, without it he was gone. Also on PS3.

Resolution- the X version is closer to 720p :p , the PS3 version is missing more pixels ( why is missing PS3 version more pix. ? i think because of to much GPU task which kills RSX performance ... DOF,BLUR,OCCLUSION all this stuf is running on GPU (RSX) and not SPE like we see from first party teams or few 3d party like fenomenal motion blur in SWU2 ... the res. was cutted because of missing 4ms or needed)

It has been suggested that memory has played a big part in the decision to cut resolution on PS3. SPEs cant help much in this aspect, and they cant help if you have no SPE time to spare which may have been the case and so moving more stuff to them may not have been viable.

Here is a comparison from Gamingbolt:
http://gamingbolt.com/crysis-2-comparison-which-one-looks-better

Water looks substantially better in PC shots as does overall clarity and definition. PS3 version is noticeably blurrier than 360.

http://www.abload.de/img/wwatcox7.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/wweapsu6u.jpg
Most FP games don't look very crisp when displaying the object your character is holding, whatever it is, especially the fine details like words -the PC version weapon looks sharper and you can read the letters easily-. That's an unresolved matter for most First Person console games this generation, even the ones considered to be the top of the line console games, graphics wise.

Water looks fine to me on consoles, and water reflections are pretty good when your character is still because they update at a steady framerate. However, it's kind of noticeable that when you begin to swim the water reflections don't update as often, maybe because of performance reasons.

It's a beautiful game always, and I truly enjoy looking at it, but in those very specific moments Crysis 2 is too demanding on tech and resources regarding the PS3 and 360.

Here is a comparison from Gamingbolt:
http://gamingbolt.com/crysis-2-comparison-which-one-looks-better

Water looks substantially better in PC shots as does overall clarity and definition. PS3 version is noticeably blurrier than 360.

http://www.abload.de/img/wwatcox7.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/wweapsu6u.jpg

:???: Forgive me, where did you seen ps3 noticeably blurrier than 360 in these screens? I don't noticed that... it seem almost identical to be almost 15% of less pixels

Everywhere, but the difference can be seen best in the trees. Look at these comparison shots from Digital Foundry (open in two tabs, then switch back and forth - it's very obvious):
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/4/2/6/0/5/PS3_018.jpg.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/4/2/6/0/5/360_018.jpg.jpg

I mean, come on, this is noticeable for some screens here & there? ;) The most of screens are pretty identical... noticeable could be gta 4 or Riddick, on the video ps3 is pretty specular to 360, from my eyes, probably in some situations could happen, but I'm pretty impressed how similar considering the resolution...

Ugh... are we really going down the road of comparing eye sight now :?:

Al, I propose a new thread. We all go and get our eyes tested for standard vision and colour blindness. Then we all post our results, along with the size of our tv, the distance we sit from it, as well as the calibration settings and room lighting conditions. After that, there shouldn't be any problems.

I hope to see a PS3 exclusive game using CryEngine3 with SPU's pegged at 100%. Then we'll really see what CryEngine can do. I know anytime I've seen a first party dev use the cell at 100% the results have been almost 4D.

I hope to see a PS3 exclusive game using CryEngine3 with SPU's pegged at 100%. Then we'll really see what CryEngine can do. I know anytime I've seen a first party dev use the cell at 100% the results have been almost 4D.

Indeed. Now that would be something to brag about instead of this half-ass effort.. :p

If anybody should be complaining about 'untapped potentials' it is PC players. Just being DX9 API limited instantly implies non optimal use of DX10+ HW and unecessary CPU load no mather how good it is coded. All good though and I cant care anyless. :)

You know you're going to be quoted by some shady blog on the internet which get posted on n4g and shit will go loose.

Inbe4 massive press confusion.:rolleyes:

One thing though, I really hope Crytek isn't content with their PS3 version of Crysis 2 just because some finds the difference not striking. Let's not encourage the devs to dish out more 1024 x 720 games since platform parity is clearly not as close as Crytek has claimed.

Back