Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

my HMZ

casque1y.jpg

casque2k.jpg

casque3.jpg

Hmm... interesting ! [Must resist... must not... look...]

Here's LG's update for their glasses free TV:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/...ses-free-3d-displays-learns-to-lov/#continued

We hope you're not too attached to that 20-inch DX2000 you got from LG back in July. (You did rush out and buy one, right?) 'Cause the Korean manufacturer has just updated its line of eye-tracking, glasses-free 3D displays with the 25-inch DX2500! Just like its smaller sibling, the DX2500 has a parallax barrier over the screen and an embedded camera for tracking head and eye movement. As a person shifts around the monitor it dynamically adjusts the image to (at least theoretically) maintain the best possible 3D effect. The screen also does on-the-fly 2D to 3D conversion. ...

EDIT: I think someone might make a half helmet (only the front part), like a crowd or Hayabusa's head gear in Ninja Gaiden. It should spread the pressure of the front pad. The back strap works okay for me.

I wonder what the resolution of the LG display is. I hope it's 1920x1200, but I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Me too, but I think a better HMZ-T1 harness should accommodate more head shapes, feels more comfortable, and allows for more expansion. e.g., A helmet or half-helmet can take additional gadgets like a mic and a front camera at the same time.

Here are the latest media apps & their release dates. Vudu & MLB.TV are 2 that were not announced last October...

On Tuesday, December 6th the latest update to the Xbox 360 dashboard will be available to consoles around the world. In addition to new and updated features, if you have Kinect you’ll be able to say it and Xbox will find it with Bing Search.

Today we also announced the following partners and apps are coming soon to Xbox 360:

Dec. 6:
• EPIX. United States
• ESPN on Xbox LIVE (ESPN). United States
• Hulu. Japan
• Hulu Plus. United States
• LOVEFiLM. United Kingdom
• Netflix. Canada, United States
• Premium Play by (MediaSet). Italy
• Sky Go (SkyDE). Austria, Germany
• Telefónica España – Movistar Imagenio. Spain
• TODAY (MSNBC). United States

Later in December:
• 4 on Demand (C4). United Kingdom
• ABC iView (Australian Broadcasting Corp.). Australia
• AlloCiné. France (AlloCiné), Germany (Filmstarts), Spain (Sensacine), United Kingdom (Screenrush)
• Astral Media’s Disney XD (Astral Media). Canada
• blinkbox (Blinkbox). United Kingdom
• Crackle (Sony Pictures). Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, United States
• Dailymotion. Available in 32 countries globally
• Demand 5 (Five). United Kingdom
• DIGI+ (CANAL+). Spain
• GolTV (Mediapro). Spain
• iHeartRadio (Clear Channel). United States
• Mediathek/ZDF (ZDF). Germany
• MSN. Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, United Kingdom
• MSNBC.com. United States
• MUZU.TV. Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
• ninemsn. Australia
• Real Sports (Maple Leaf Sports). Canada
• Rogers On Demand Online (Rogers Media). Canada
• SBS ON DEMAND. Australia
• TMZ (Warner Bros.). Canada, United States
• TVE (RTVE.es). Spain
• UFC on Xbox LIVE (UFC). Canada, United States
• Verizon FiOS TV. United States
• VEVO. Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States
• Vudu (Wal-Mart). United States
• YouTube. Available in 24 countries globally

Early 2012:
• Antena 3 (Antena 3 de Televisión). Spain
• BBC (BBC). United Kingdom
• CinemaNow (Best Buy). United States
• HBO GO (HBO). United States
• MLB.TV (MLB Advanced Media). Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
• Telenovelas/Sports (Televisa). Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom
• Xfinity On Demand (Comcast). United States

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/dec11/12-04Xbox360TV.mspx

Tommy McClain

Samsung's transparent display would be great for a visor too !
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/05/samsung-teases-flexible-transparent-display-in-concept-video/

Samsung's flexible display technology isn't slated to hit the market until 2012, but the Korean manufacturer is already giving us a glimpse of how it may transform our lives, with a freshly released concept video. Yes, it's just a concept ad, and a relatively brief one at that, but it still paints a pretty mouth-watering portrait -- one full of transparent, flexible screens, smartphone-tablet hybrids, and augmented reality.

[Double posted !]

I think the forum software has a posting bug when the clock goes over the minute. This is the second time it has happened to me.

Toshiba 55X3 4K 3DTV launches December 10th in Japan, no glasses necessary
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/07/toshiba-55x3-4k-3dtv-launches-december-10th-in-japan-no-glasses/

Toshiba is finally ready to bring its 55-inch, 4K res 3DTV home in Japan, and buyers will have their first chance to part with 900,000 yen ($11,578 US) on December 10th. The 55X3 (ZL2 in Europe) still doesn't have a North American ship date, but we can still drool over its high res display and autostereoscopic (no glasses) 3D screen that adjusts for its viewers' location based on face tracking technology, although that results in a resolution drop down to 720p.

Another visor...

Eyez 720p video streaming / recording glasses hands-on (video)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/07/eyez-720p-video-streaming-recording-glasses-hands-on-video/

The company's first product, a set of 720p embedded-camera eyeglasses called Eyez, houses a tiny camera to the left of the standard-size eyeglass lens, with a processor, Bluetooth and WiFi module embedded in the adjacent ear piece. We first read about the inconspicuous specs when the company launched a Kickstarter page, netting nearly $350,000 in pledges from curious backers, but just had an opportunity to spend a few hours with the device, recording the journey to a meeting in New York City.

(Video in the link)

Sony Pictures CEO: 3D Blu-ray Movies Not Enough to Drive Household Adoption
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3d...ies-not-enough-drive-household-adoption-25826

Lynton said greater availability of sports programming and video games in 3D would help jumpstart the format among consumers.

Indeed, with many games already available in 3D and early attempts to broadcast college football — in addition to the 2010 Beijing Olympics and The Masters — well-received, the belief is that expanded sports coverage could help 3D clear remaining hurdles into the home.

“It’s going to be based on what people want to watch,” Lynton said. “I don’t think that [3D] movies are going to drive [in-home adoption.]”

The CEO said consumers want to watch 3D movies in the home, but he believes that sports and video gaming will be more of a “pull” for consumers compared with movies. Adoption would be driven by "sports, nature programming like what Discovery is doing, and gaming," he said.

“I think gaming will be a major driver,” Lynton said.

Sony is releasing seven theatrical movies in 3D in 2012, including reboots of the “Spider-Man” and “Men in Black” franchises. At the same time, domestic 3D viewership on new releases ranges from 40% to 60%, which is down from previous years, according to William Blair.

Meanwhile, international 3D theatrical attendance is up 60%, due in part to the novelty of the format.

If the NBA can sort itself out soon I would love to stream games to my PC. Wouldn't mind paying a premium for it either, especially if they have 3D coverage for the teams I'm most interested in watching.

Acer Launches a New 3D DLP Projector
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ors/Acer_Launches_a_New_3D_DLP_Projector/8290

The H9500BD utilizes active shutter technology and boasts 2D to 3D conversion.

Acer's H9500BD is a 3D projector that's aimed at home theater enthusiasts and gamers alike. It has a 16:9 native aspect ratio but can be adjusted to 4:3 for Wii games and other content that's not quite up to date.

The active shutter based 3D technology means that in addition to 3D Blu-ray players and game consoles, the H9500BD is capable of hooking up with NVIDIA graphics cards for a 3D PC experience. The projector offers a pair of HDMI ports as well as DVI, VGA, S-video and RCA.

The H9500BD is available now on Amazon for $1,699.

Another 3D HMD...
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080.html

Viewing and Audio

2D and 3D-ready
10% see-through HMD type
45 degrees diagonal field of view
100 inches at 10 feet (at 3 m) virtual image
240 fps sequential color (80 fps per color)
100:1 system contrast ratio
30 bit RGB color depth (24 bit RGB input)
24 bit stereo audio

Display

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 native
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Display Type: 0.74 inch LCoS
Brightness: 120 cd/m2 (nits)
Contrast: 1200:1 at f/2.8 (LCoS panel)

Power

7 Watts
USB powered
5 hour mobile battery pack
AC adapter

Size and Weight

Goggle
6.3 ounces (180 grams)
7.1" x 1.8" x 7.1" (180mm x 45mm x 180mm)

Controller
5.6 ounces (160 grams)
4.7" x 2.8" x 0.6" - (120mm x 70mm x 15mm)

I wonder if there's a market for a third party harness? The active gubbins are just screens and such, so it'd be easy to pull one visor apart and put it something of a different design. Although maybe it's just cheaper for a 3rd party company to buy the components and build their own.

Probably not (yet). For the next version, they should start by making the default harness removable. ;-)
Sony themselves can sell us an improved harness along the way.

Sensics Natalia head-tracking 3D goggles work alone or with PCs, consoles and phones
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/sensics-natalia-head-tracking-3d-goggles/

Like the HMZ-T1, Sensics' Natalia headset has dual OLED screens and can connect to consoles, PCs, or phones to let you see your favorite movies and games in 3D. Unlike the Sony, Natalia sports higher-res 1280 x 1024 screens, and isn't simply a display: it has a 1.2GHZ dual-core CPU and 1GB of memory, an SD card slot, WiFi, Bluetooth, and runs Android 4.0. That means that it can be used as a standalone device, and the company's libSensics app programming interface gives devs the tools needed to create software for the new platform. Oh, and did we mention that Sensics' headset does 360-degree head tracking, and can track your hands to allow for immersive AR user experiences (think Minority Report). The final feather in her cap? Though Natalia can run on DC power, she also has hot-swappable batteries so you aren't tethered to an outlet. Sensics isn't telling how much this nifty bit of kit will cost, but the company's aiming for a late 2012 release ...

Sensics cheapest HMD is like 24 grand. If this one is under a grand and offer their panoramic view ie 150 degrees fov as well as 3D, I would I get one in a heartbeat.

Back