Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that be really worth the potential disadvantages? Afterall you don't buy a handheld to hook it up to a tv and if you really want to play on a tv you would buy a console. Not to mention that even if the screen would be hd, gfx would still be worse than on x360/ps3 so I don't really see how having a hd screen would be worth it just for tv connectivity.

Would a scaler chip be a possibility?

Would that be really worth the potential disadvantages? Afterall you don't buy a handheld to hook it up to a tv and if you really want to play on a tv you would buy a console. Not to mention that even if the screen would be hd, gfx would still be worse than on x360/ps3 so I don't really see how having a hd screen would be worth it just for tv connectivity.

Video playback?

Yes. But I'm keeping my options open. :devilish:

The Network Product division houses VAIO, eBook, Playstation and now what, OEM phone components ? :p

I want a portable Playstation that I can pick up and go anywhere, and then dock to an optional base station to inherit all the PS3/Xbox 360 (or more !) power.

That's just me thinking out loud though. It could answer the question "Why do I need a dedicated portable game machine if I already have an iPhone/Android phone" question.

EDIT: They should also incorporate TransferJet into PSP2:
http://www.transferjet.org/en/tj/transferjet_whitepaper.pdf

Would that be really worth the potential disadvantages? Afterall you don't buy a handheld to hook it up to a tv

I did. That was the main selling point of the Slims.

HD should be expected. The next natural evolution of TV out is fullscreen HD. Each iteration of PSP has improved TV out.

PSP2 dev kit sighting:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/17/psp2-dev-kit-snaps-show-twin-sticks-trackpad/

VG247 has obtained the world’s first images of a PSP2 dev kit.

The shots clearly show the device’s forward- and rear-facing cameras, as well as the much-discussed trackpad on the rear of the unit.Note that this isn’t the console’s final form factor.

As you can see, developers are working with a kit with similar construction to a PSP go at the moment, with a sliding screen over physical controls. We don’t know when the final physical spec will be nailed down, only that this isn’t it.

A friend pointed me to the funky Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet PC. It's hard to see how Sony can compete with specs and price against other mobile devices, unless they are happy to go very lossy again. They may save a bit on screen, but otherwise to be specs competitive they'll need to cram in hardware. If they don't, the features will be too limited relegating the device to just a handheld games console. Does anyone want to carry around an iOS or Android device with their millions of apps and a discrete gaming handheld? IMO this needs to have Android or similar on it, and function as a portable computer (utilities) alongside the games, which suggests higher prices and mobile contract payment solutions. Is a £300 portable feasible, let alone a £200 one?

Not sure if this has been discussed, but what would the point of the track pad be exactly? I know there are other handheld devices with a track pad on the back, but for gaming applications, I don't see much point.

It provides a touch interface without obscuring the display, or an analogue pad for simulation things like analogue should buttons.

...Does anyone want to carry around an iOS or Android device with their millions of apps and a discrete gaming handheld?...
Nope, thats why I`d settle with a "dump" phone that lasts close to a week without charging and a PSP(2) that I only take with me if I know its gonna be worth its rather short use.
Aslong as we seem to discuss personal opinion, why would anyone ever carry around a smartphone for that matter which is too bulky for a phone and dies in a few hours if you use it for gaming or other stuff :D

But I agree that something like Android would be a good addition, but I fail to see how this would increase hardware-price significantly? Theres no need for gyros, touchscreen, hires camera and all the other stuff smartphones come with.
Its more of a software issue IMHO
It provides a touch interface without obscuring the display, or an analogue pad for simulation things like analogue should buttons.
I dunno, but it seems to me that you will have a hard time using controls on both sides (buttons/sticks on one, touchpanel on the other) simultaneously. So they likely will see use mainly for stuff separate from gaming.

Not only that but it would also allow dual analogue control and touch at the same time. First thing i thought of was a Star Wars game that controls like a normal TPS but with force abilities that allow tossing enemies around like ragdolls or manipulating objects, using the track pad, while still having full movement and camera control. Could also be used for free aiming seperate to camera movement by tapping from behind the point on screen you wish to shoot. Imagine a bioshock game where you can fire a machine gun at a enemy using standard dual stick controls but also use plasmids to crowd control on other enemies with a tap on the trackpad in the relevant part of the screen. It may take some getting used to or it could be totally natural an easy to pick up, im not sure yet, but it has the potential to allow great new gameplay mechanics. The innovation to me isnt the rear track pad, thats pretty much the same as a normal touch screen if used alone, but the ability to use dual sticks and touch simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yap, only for some games though. I think the touch screen and pen are better in general even though they may block the screen.

At this point, I think the back pad has very little use. The sticks + finger tracking is interesting but I fear it may be too demanding. May be the 3 point control (2 sticks + 1 back pad) can be used to control actions in a 3D space (for 3D display). The back pad alone may be applicable for a horizontal 3D or holographic display, but PSP2 likely won't support them.

At this point, we know Apple filed a patent to recognize the player by analyzing how he/she holds the device.

The other way is to sense the player via their finger tips (I think some vitality sensors can detect blood flow/heart beat via the fingers)

Personally, I do wonder what other ideas Sony and their partners can come up with.

Yap, only for some games though. I think the touch screen and pen are better in general even though they may block the screen.

At this point, I think the back pad has very little use. The sticks + finger tracking is interesting but I fear it may be too demanding. May be the 3 point control (2 sticks + 1 back pad) can be used to control actions in a 3D space (for 3D display). The back pad alone may be applicable for a horizontal 3D or holographic display, but PSP2 likely won't support them.

I don't think Sony actually expects people to use the analog sticks at the same time as the touch surface. The sticks are there for more traditional control schemes that require them and the touchpad is there to make iOS-style touch games easy to do as well, in addition to tasks like web browsing, etc.

Gah, what's wrong with DS and iOS's touch screen mechanism ? In total, they have... hundred million active gamers right ? People are not exactly shying away from these platforms.

Without a clear problem definition, the rear trackpad sounds like a solution looking for a problem, or innovation for innovation sake.

Don't know what to call the Playstation Phone, but here's more flirting by Sony-Ericsson's CEO:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704170404575624592495029652.html

Asked why Sony Ericsson hasn't already released a phone employing Sony's gaming resources, Mr. Nordberg said: "I haven't dug into that history, but the future might be brighter."

Mr. Nordberg, who said he wants to make a lot of "noise" with a new product at the Mobile Word Congress in Barcelona in February, said there is no technological difficulty in launching a gaming-oriented phone. The main challenge, he said, is that the company has to consult many lawyers to negotiate rights issues with game publishers. "I'm very glad that we work with a company like Sony, who actually knows how to do it," he added.

Yes, Sony has strong legal and rights negotiation teams. But they fell down in marketing a few times (UMD, PSPGo). Hope they learn from their mistakes.

To gain an edge in an increasingly crowded market for Android-based smartphones, the company will have to diversify its lineup. "Sony is of course a very strong brand, and why shouldn't we use that?" Mr. Nordberg asked. "Gaming, including content, is a very interesting proposition."

Basically, entertainment and communication. A lot of people on my PS3 friends list use Hulu Plus or NetFlix. Simple, addictive games are key too.

Assuming they have negotiated for the rights to run entertainment content on Android phones by Feb, and also have the tech to run them securely. Does it mean they can run them on PS3 Android also ? ^_^

Mr. Nordberg said analysts have been too focused on sales-volume declines in the July-September period. Sony Ericsson could easily increase sales volume by offering more inexpensive phones, but profitability is more important, he said. "We do no phones under €50 ($68.43), because we won't make money," he added.

This is very true, but Sony may be overly focused on short term profitability.

EDIT: Btw, can a modern trackpad capture fingerprint or some sort of biometrics ?

It may be hard to appreciate until the user can experience the differences. It seems to be a user acceptance/experience issue as opposed to a measurement/logical problem. If people don't like the idea of using a device from behind, they may not buy in even if it's technically/logically sound.

Wouldn't the dots be distracting ? I kinda prefer the finger silhuoette for better clarity/intuition but they are even more distracting. :devilish:

Do you have any gaming examples that illustrate the superiority of the rear trackpad design ? Can these issues be fixed by having other controller schemes ? e.g., physical controller or virtual ones on another part of the screen so that the fingers won't block the view.

FWIW, the PS Phone is supposed to have physical buttons right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back